PDA

View Full Version : FAO Peeps with 2 stroke/scooter knowledge

u33db
12-12-2007, 21:25
Right bear with me;

I bought a scooter off ebay to do up but for various reasons i've had to change engines one one that is apparently 2 years yonger. Thats all done but the problem is the wiring looms have changed between them meaning i can't get the bike to start due to no spark!

There is still 4 wires coming from the engine...3 are identical but one is a different colour so i've connected the matching ones up where possible. However the new engine has a differnt pickup design on the generator which i suspect is the root of the problem.

How do i fix this?

I still have the old engine so the last resort is swapping the generators over (a real arse of a job) but i'm wondering if there is another way? It seems to me that (aside from the engine) the spark will come from the coil and CDI...coils should the same so if i got a matching CDI for the new engine would that possibly cure it?

Help!

number1
12-12-2007, 23:16
Swap the generator and the flywheel over, you may find that the pickup is in a different place, you usually find that the ignition sensor is built into the generator (if it isnt around the outer edge of the flywheel)

Is it a peugeot by any chance? they are S*DS due to typical french immobilisers!! lol

Dave

u33db
13-12-2007, 11:18
Swap the generator and the flywheel over, you may find that the pickup is in a different place, you usually find that the ignition sensor is built into the generator (if it isnt around the outer edge of the flywheel)

Is it a peugeot by any chance? they are S*DS due to typical french immobilisers!! lol

Dave

Thanks for that - got the tools bought so hopefully it won't take too long. :)

Its a Yamaha btw so no immobiliser thank god

number1
13-12-2007, 11:35
Yamaha's are great! had a few now lol all learner buzzbox's! tzr's dt's rd's

Rd was so unreliable i could get the crank out and it would still be hot, lost count how many rebuilds i did on that thing!!