PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Replacement...

1995clio16v
10-12-2007, 23:56
Cool,

Please read on!!

After a quick PM to summeh (cheers lad) i think i have now finally gotten to the bottom of my constant clutch cable snappage (he says again!!)

I have a valeo clutch fitted which i thought, good plan at the time of the last one going pop, factory issued shouldnt be a prob. However summeh seems to think they are weak, maybe the springs? And they seem to get real tight when the engine gets hot, arounf fan kicking in temp, especially when in traffic etc and the car becomes difficult to drive, especially going to reverse!! :evil:

summeh seems to get the same symptoms as me hence my diagnostics

So...

Im not paying some twat £550 to do it again like last time.

How hard and big a job? Whats involved? Estimated time of doing?

The mush who does big jobs on my 16v has it down on his computer as a 14hour job??

I dont pretend to be some super car technician but ive done plenty on the 16v and feel more than capable so please enlighten me.........!!

Cheers for reading!

Oh and what clutch do we recommend?!!

Its only running an induction kit & straight through mongoose!! :o :evil: :(

Coops
11-12-2007, 00:41
get a full GTT uprated kit if you've been having problems, may help to alleviate them. demon tweeks sell them!

its a long job but easy enough to do, box can stay in, you just need to drop the subframe a bit to wiggle the box across far enough to get into the clutch housing to get the bolts off etc, if your a proper novice a long weekend at it solid should see it done provided no issues like rounded bolts etc

1995clio16v
11-12-2007, 00:45
get a full GTT uprated kit if you've been having problems, may help to alleviate them. demon tweeks sell them!

its a long job but easy enough to do, box can stay in, you just need to drop the subframe a bit to wiggle the box across far enough to get into the clutch housing to get the bolts off etc, if your a proper novice a long weekend at it solid should see it done provided no issues like rounded bolts etc

****ing rounded bolts!! Christ! :evil:

Is is it softer coops that kit?

Worth upgrading to soft pedal conversion?

Anyone recommend?

Matty86
11-12-2007, 00:46
yeh, allow for a weekend as coops says

I've fitted a sachs clutch and a Luk clutch to my valvers and they feel spot on (really like on the Luk clutch, but then that car was always light for some reason)

best method (imo) is to drop the subframe and then unbolt the gearbox and wiggle it across, should have enough access to the clutch to change it!

I would advise against using an allen key to remove the clutch bolts as all of mine rounded (the allen keys that is) - use a 6mm hex bit

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z18/Matteh449/MKR/DSCF0624.jpg

Matty86
11-12-2007, 00:48
oh, and when putting the gearbox back on, make sure you remove the dowels first and put them in at the end, otherwise it will never pop on

you can use a 3/8 socket extender tube thing with a bit of electrical tape wrapped round the end to align the clutch too :)

Wobba
11-12-2007, 18:06
My clutch has started to show signs of slippage now. Looking to get an uprated clutch as I like dumping the bugger when I drive hard...but I dont want some kind of leg breaker as I use it as a daily driver in heavy traffic... :?

1995clio16v
11-12-2007, 22:56
Cheers matty

Gonna save those pictures for when i opt in to do it.

What takes up most of the time when doing this job?

Would you recommend following haynes book? I know sometimes there are better ways! :lol:

:o

Matty86
11-12-2007, 23:55
didn't read the haynes, called up ronsvalver instead! :D

its not too hard if you just look at it and assess what you need to unbolt...

Coops
12-12-2007, 00:24
ai as said, i'd never done it before but hour or so with a toolbox and i figured out what needed to come off. just see what u need to get off, wiggle, undo bolts, wiggle again and repeat till it comes off! 8)