PDA

View Full Version : Weird power steering noise

Smudger
10-12-2007, 14:12
When i turn the steering to full lock at the moment from cold there is a horrible loud clicking noise...difficult to discribe really.

once the car has been runing for a few minutes tho it seems to stop

any ideas??

Wobba
10-12-2007, 14:58
It's not catching a tyre on the plastic bits is it?

Smudger
10-12-2007, 15:15
no mate does it when stationary. ive had the car over a year now and it hasnt done it until now and i havent changed anything to do with the wheels suspension or steering

Wobba
10-12-2007, 16:00
So as you put full lock on it clicks? Is it a groan click like something giving way? I presume it stops making the noise when you are actually on full lock and not moving the steering wheel anymore?

Smudger
10-12-2007, 16:04
nope still does it when you hold it full lock aswell, its as you approach full lock and when your on full lock when the engine/car is cold

kinda groan click, more like a very loud kinda ratchet sound

drsmith1979
10-12-2007, 16:18
its the power steering pump trying to work further than its normal range of movement (normally when they are getting on a bit, although new ones can do it to a esser extent) as you force the wheel you are putting strain on the pump but it cant go anywhere, hence why it 'jumps' and groans. check your fluid levels too and check the guides section for how to get air bubbles out.

Smudger
11-12-2007, 18:06
ahh i see

i noticed last night that it sometimes does it on any lock not just full lock. strange how its only when its cold tho..hmmmmm

pretty sure the fluid level has always been on max since ive owned her. ill double check tho