PDA

View Full Version : Whistling noise

Wobba
10-12-2007, 13:42
At a certain amount of throttle I get a whistling, which vanishes on full throttle. I have a pipercross induction kit. I have heard these can make this sound or it could be air via a gasket/throttle housing? If it was a HD for example, surely I would have lots of other nasty symptoms i.e. obvious oil leak.

Can't tell if I have powerloss, seems rapid to me.

drsmith1979
10-12-2007, 13:50
check the seal around your induction kit, may be a small miniscule gap, but normally, depending on the brand of filter, the whistle is a symptom of the induction kit... 8)

Wobba
10-12-2007, 13:53
I'll have a good look at lunchtime. cant right now as I am really busy at work :roll:

It sounds exactly like a turbo as it spools up to speed. Kinda funny.

drsmith1979
10-12-2007, 16:18
yeah baby, cheapest turbo conversion ever!

Laine_16v
10-12-2007, 16:22
Yeah all the inductions ive heard whistle, its compeltely normal.

chris16v
10-12-2007, 21:08
At a certain amount of throttle I get a whistling, which vanishes on full throttle. I have a pipercross induction kit. I have heard these can make this sound or it could be air via a gasket/throttle housing? If it was a HD for example, surely I would have lots of other nasty symptoms i.e. obvious oil leak.

I would not worry m8 i have the same induction kit! its sounds like mine does! :D

1995clio16v
10-12-2007, 23:47

Yesh.

Piperx sound very good, holding the revs at around 2.5k or feathering the throttle they sound great!! Especially down high streets with high buildings towering high, keeping all the rabble locked in!! God knows what a ITBs/Turbo must sound like!!

Oh what a pervert I am!!

:o

number1
10-12-2007, 23:51
Yeh sure do i get a whistle with an airbox, everyone who ive taken for a "blip" ask it it's turbo'ed lol "nah mate supercharged" 8)

Sounds Awesome with a k&n... might put it back on over winter..

1995clio16v
10-12-2007, 23:58
Sounds Awesome with a k&n

PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!

titcharoony
11-12-2007, 00:07
mine is standard and whistles

Coops
11-12-2007, 00:51
check oil breather to the rocker n all, if that comes off will whistle like a bitch!lol

oh and dont get excited bout turbo, in terms of induction noise its not very good! :( my old valver with a piperX sounded better if you just talk about i/k roar!

Wobba
11-12-2007, 01:31
Well, the whistleing dissapears if you are really flat out and higher revs, but the induction roar...I like it. I t IS loud compared to standard box but the sound of it as it hits the sweet spot higher in the rev range on a 1.8 16v is nice :D

Decat goes on hopefully soon too.

Thanks for all the feedback, please feel free to spam my thread now ;)

Matty86
11-12-2007, 02:28
mine used to whistle as you turned the engine off

god i miss that sound :(

Wobba
11-12-2007, 18:01
mine used to whistle as you turned the engine off

god i miss that sound :(

What...like a jet engine shutting down?

Smudger
11-12-2007, 18:10
nice does it too, think ppl notice that rather than the induction noise.

that induction kit noise as you turn the engine off is always comical

chris16v
11-12-2007, 19:15

PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Allan
12-12-2007, 00:06
my ram air one used to hiss when you turned off the engine was funny :D

and my dad asked me if the car had a turbo when he first went in it due to the sound lol
love the open induction :D

1995clio16v
12-12-2007, 00:12

PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!

They sound like theyre about to go supersonic around the limter end of the revs, just before revs hit the limiter!!

Temperature and air density has to be right though. Loving this cold weather for the i/k now.

Dragging the clutch and giving it beans, sounds awesome! No good for the clutch like!! haha!

Laine_16v
12-12-2007, 01:02
You can get the same noise as a PiperX induction kit with the standard airbox, if you just pull the air feed hose of the bottom.

Wobba
12-12-2007, 01:48

PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!
PIPERX RULE!!

They sound like theyre about to go supersonic around the limter end of the revs, just before revs hit the limiter!!

Temperature and air density has to be right though. Loving this cold weather for the i/k now.

Dragging the clutch and giving it beans, sounds awesome! No good for the clutch like!! haha!

:o Ya mine is loving the cold weather, and no, it's very bad for my clutch, which I caught slipping today as I flew past an Scooby at full chat :(