PDA

View Full Version : Tempted to Sell Up, opinions welcome.

Jamie.
10-12-2007, 00:50
Not really on the net much anymore, but wanted a few opinions.

I am tempted to sell the williams for potenially a 106gti sometime early next year.

However there are some problems:

The williams has touch wood never let me down and is a nice car to drive so im not arsed about palming it off before it dies - despite their bad reputations :roll:

Additionally it has had 6 owners done 90k and doesnt have alot of SH as the previous owner was a mechanic and just kept reciepts for it, = poor sale value.

I have also been considering what I could potentially get for her too. Ok there are the bad points mentioned but wheels and bodywork are mint so i thought priced to recieve £2750?

I think the main problem is I've had few neally 3 years & i really do fancy a change but i just do not know whether to hold on for a bit because within the next 12 to 18 months both myself and my wife will hopefully qualify as ACCA and ACA accountants respectivley both exam and time (first dec 08 and jun 09, & yes conversations are interesting, her half more so than my contribution though :oops: ).

So, do I keep it and buy something newer now by flogging the willy and adding a couple of grand to get a nice gti or wait and see what happens in a year and just get rid of the williams then?

Other considerations are I do a basic 1k in mileage a month + leisure. Work commute is mix between m-way and urban so better mpg will be felt esp since the willy in urban is really, really s**t.

The williams is currently returning high 20's in mpg which isnt really too much a problem, but my insurance premium is hefty So that decreasing would be good.

Anyone that read it all - well done :wink: :)

kenny
10-12-2007, 03:12
If you like driving it, & you are not stuck for a couple of k, why hurry? keep it, it looks like in 12 months or so you will both be qualified & earning well. Then you can make decisions like, should I buy ANOTHER car? and if you are fortunate, and things go your way, the answer will be YES! :wink:

Daz.
10-12-2007, 03:34
^^^ agreed...

Wait it out fella

wavy
10-12-2007, 14:05
what they said
if u both pass u can buy another car and keep the willy

seanofnp
10-12-2007, 14:12
Why would you add a couple of grand to the price of the willy at 2.7k to get a "nice" gti? They are cheap as chips. A mint one would prolly be less than 2.7k

If your bored, try something else, not like you cant buy another clio...

But... if your going to be able to buy something else AND keep the clio, do that. Driving something slow as hell every day keeps the clio love in tact, trust me.

ae
10-12-2007, 14:35
I used to have a 106 gti before the williams. The 106 was just as fun- far more tailhappy and nervous. They're great cars but a williams is better. Both my 106 and Clio never broke down. The 106 has more of a "boyracer" image most people think the GTI's a quicksilver where you know the Williams is special.

Andrew

Tommo
10-12-2007, 15:11
I'd keep hold Jamie, I think you would regret it if you sold up, especially as she's been reliable. I was in a similar position last year, problems with the Williams meant I was very close to selling at one point, so glad I didn't now and got her sorted. As kenny said, you could get another cheap car for the week and keep the willy for weekend blasts!

btw still not seen you round chester fella, I'm there every day and at my folks in the Williams every weekend (they live next to Chester Zoo!) We'll have to get a mini meet going some time...

titcharoony
10-12-2007, 19:36
106 gti: girl racer's car

Danno
10-12-2007, 22:38
106 gti: girl racer's car

:lol:

Jamie.
10-12-2007, 23:34
I'd keep hold Jamie, I think you would regret it if you sold up, especially as she's been reliable. I was in a similar position last year, problems with the Williams meant I was very close to selling at one point, so glad I didn't now and got her sorted. As kenny said, you could get another cheap car for the week and keep the willy for weekend blasts!

btw still not seen you round chester fella, I'm there every day and at my folks in the Williams every weekend (they live next to Chester Zoo!) We'll have to get a mini meet going some time...

Yeh sounds good.

Been house bound of late with exam revision so havent seen much sunlight. Its work, home, revision, bed and the cycle begins again!

Not sure if you have my msn but add me if you want to arrange a meet or something.

FlamingMonkey
10-12-2007, 23:44
If you sell it for a 106GTI your mad, don't do it, they are nice motors but contrary to every ball bag on CS they are not as quick as the Williams, or handle anything like, by a mile, the back end comes around far too easily with no prior warning.

I went from the Williams fold, well as a daily driver, still got the car, but the Williams is the one that I would rather drive anytime any place, although saying that I quite fancy a V6 :lol:

Coops
11-12-2007, 00:56
keep it mate

titcharoony
11-12-2007, 11:38
flaming monkey i quite agree. im tempted by a v6. not alot of money now for what you get. Id much prefer the earlier model on looks though. id get a cossie instead for practicality but they cost too much.....x

Tommo
11-12-2007, 17:41

Yeh sounds good.

Been house bound of late with exam revision so havent seen much sunlight. Its work, home, revision, bed and the cycle begins again!

Not sure if you have my msn but add me if you want to arrange a meet or something.

Studying is a b*tch isn't it, had 4 years of Civil Engineering mate, graduated last year thank god!

Aint got MSN anymore as I haven't got the net at home, but will shout you some time over xmas hols on here, maybe meet at Cheshire Oaks, or somewhere, I'll be at my folks for a few days over xmas...

northy
11-12-2007, 17:48
let me know when u guys meet up

Jamie.
11-12-2007, 17:53
Im going to paris over christmas so could do next sunday or alternativley the weekend immediatley prior to new year, being the 28th and 29th

Not sure if you can do either mate.

Tommo
12-12-2007, 10:27
Sunday 30th would be a good day for me mate, is that ok with you? Can sort out times nearer the day.

Northy - I'll shout you if this goes ahead

Cheers

number1
12-12-2007, 12:09
I almost swapped my hybrid for one yesterday, but i decided to keep it, 106 wouldnt be as quick and my hybrid is almost there now, just need widetrack... Oh and ive just bought another project, a mini 8)

Dave

northy
12-12-2007, 12:11
306 rallye mate. thats more like it

Jamie.
12-12-2007, 17:32
Yeh date is good for me.

Cheshire oaks is good for me too as its only 2 mins from my house.

If there is a few of us we could go for a game of bowling or something on the complex

titcharoony
12-12-2007, 20:22
i agree 306-6, or 106 rallye maybe. or even a 205gti :) one of the new ones in miami blue, with pas n air con... mmmmmmmmmmmm