PDA

View Full Version : Snapped Alternator Belt

MattyH16valver
07-12-2007, 17:15
My alternators been making weird noise for a week or so now and today the belt decided to snap :roll: Quick call to the AA and the vehicles home now :lol: I thought that one of the pullies looked ****ed too when i was looking, but it was just where the belt was tangled.

How easy are these to change and is it best to go for an OE one or are the copied ones ok? Looks like i'll be busy this weekend :roll:
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/MattyH16v/DSCF0803.jpg

white16valver
07-12-2007, 18:53
It'll be a bitch I imagine, given how little room there is in there.

I gave up trying to get to the adjustable pulley thing that you're supposed to use to slacken/tighten the belt - I just pushed the alternator as far towards the block as I could then squeezed the belt over the top pulley. then I had to hang off the alternator to pull it back out and tighten the belt up properly LoL

So, anyway, that's my bodge job :lol: Hopefully someone will be along shortly who actually has a clue! :oops:

Coops
07-12-2007, 19:12
use same techinique mate, whip out the headlight to make access easier, undo alternator top bolt and push back to slide the new belt over, then big screwdriver to lever it back and do the nut up

number1
07-12-2007, 19:25
use same techinique mate, whip out the headlight to make access easier, undo alternator top bolt and push back to slide the new belt over, then big screwdriver to lever it back and do the nut up

Thats if the belt is exactly the same length coops, unfort they do stretch a little and usually that means the top engine mount needs to be undone and the engine jacked up to get to the tensioner, not the nicest of jobs!
tightened mine the other day in the pissing rain, not very nice!

Coops
07-12-2007, 19:40
:lol: changed mine for a new un like that no worries other week! :wink:

number1
07-12-2007, 19:50
Lucky you! everytime ive done it that way the belt has been to slack un ive had to jack the engine up lol

Could Be worse ;)

MattyH16valver
08-12-2007, 03:06
cheers lads...gonna give it a go tomoz...wish me luck :roll:

MattyH16valver
08-12-2007, 11:48
Can you definately get enough tension on the belt then coops when u do it that way?

Whats involved in undowing that engine mounts on that side lads?
Really want to avoid going to a garage to get this done... :roll:

Lunner
08-12-2007, 12:52
do it the alternator way, and if that doesn't give you the tension you need then **** about with the tensioner pulley

BristolSam16v
08-12-2007, 13:28
It takes 10 minutes max to untension the belt, why piss about with trying to wedge the alternator back etc?

Lunner
08-12-2007, 14:49
because it takes about 30 mins to TENSION it back up again, especially if the teeth are broken off, which they usually are

BristolSam16v
08-12-2007, 17:03
Took me another 10 minutes to tension, guess I was lucky it wasn't broken or anything!

MatrixGuy
08-12-2007, 18:16
I had my alternator belt changed the other week. My mechanic said it had a slight tear in it so he thought while he was in there changing my alternator he would chang the belt too. He said these cars are a b*tch to work on :lol:

Coops
08-12-2007, 22:35
tbh last valver it tensioned fine, this one i think its going to slip, so i pre empted this by spacing the top alternator bracket out a bit to add tension as my pulley is knackered and am not even going to attempt to sort that unless i absolutely have to! :evil:

Lunner
08-12-2007, 22:39
Manual steering is the way forward, uses a PROPER tensioning method lol, can swap the belt in about 5 mins on mine, without having to remove the headlight lol

MattyH16valver
09-12-2007, 15:53
Looks like i'll be takling it on Tuesday as did'nt have time this wekend and its been pissing it down :roll: Had a 2.0l Megane Coupe to drive in the mean time :lol:

Smudger
10-12-2007, 14:09
did mine last weekend and used the alternator method, allot easier than trying to mess about with the tensioner