PDA

View Full Version : Engine removal/refit rundown pls?

u33db
03-12-2007, 11:30
Can anyone give me a quick rundown on how to remove and refit a 16v engine?

Obviously i have a haynes but like all things theres always "a better way" compared to by the book.

I'll be doing it over the course of a week so the car will need to be on its wheels at all times (can't be put on axle stands and left over night). The other issues i have is that i'll be doing it alone and the slam panel isn't removable.

Your opinions?

Rich
03-12-2007, 19:01
first in that case remove box oil and driveshafts then put susp back together.

the non removable slam panel isnt a problem priovided the crane you use goes high enough. if not just do what am did and cut the non removable one out and use a 16v one. disconnect battery and drain coolant, remove rad and p/s fluid, undo dogbone, downpipe, fuel lines, remove ecu from scuttle and undo brown and white plugs at the other side scure engine on crain, undo mounts and lift out. then flip reverse it for re-fit. best to plug all bits on the engine before you drop it in

Rich
03-12-2007, 19:02
oh and it should only take you 2 days working at normal pace or 3 with one hand tied behind your back!

richy
03-12-2007, 21:38
just refit the shafts and hubs properly oncethe engine is out so theres no risk of knackering any bearings so it can be moved about without engine!

number1
03-12-2007, 23:16
it'll be ok just moving it around a workshop with no driveshafts, could be catastrophic if you towed it tho... if you work quicky you can get a valver engine out in 2 hours, Did my hybrid conversion in a day and had to swap all ancillary's

Dave