PDA

View Full Version : HID lights - What is 8000k like?

donsrno1
03-12-2007, 01:53
A set has come up for sale local to me at a very good price so I'm thinking about getting them but I'm not sure how good the 8000k ones are. Has anyone got a set/seen a set and what do you think? do you think they are too blue?

Also, if anybody has got them have you been pulled over for them at all?

Finally, am I right in thinking an H4 Hi/Lo Beam kit will fit a clio fine?

Thanks.

Daz.
03-12-2007, 02:02
8k aren't blue they're brilliant white

6k look better and give off more light although 8k's not far behind

dimma16v
03-12-2007, 02:46
i've got the 8k and never been stop by the police had them for over a year now.

AndyFielder
03-12-2007, 10:06
6k are white 8k are blue!

donsrno1
03-12-2007, 11:40
I'm starting to think I might just give them a go anyway tbh as they are a bit of a bargain.

i've got the 8k and never been stop by the police had them for over a year now.

Do you know Accord2.2Vtec off Edinburghcruise? It's him I'm buying them off and he said he lives down sighthill way.

donsrno1
03-12-2007, 11:44
Also, is it definately just a normal H4 fitting needed for a clio?

1995clio16v
03-12-2007, 12:45
Also, is it definately just a normal H4 fitting needed for a clio?

Yes it is H4 mate but you also need the HI/LO type ones.

:o

donsrno1
03-12-2007, 13:22
Cheers, and yeah its the Hi/Lo ones I'm going for. I though you would be able to use Lo beam ones anyway though just that you would be without a high beam?

white16valver
03-12-2007, 13:38
Correct.

Though that would render you technically blind so I have no idea why anyone would do that LoL

seanofnp
03-12-2007, 14:39
Id love some, but other things take priority over HIDs at the moment! :(

donsrno1
03-12-2007, 16:33
Another quick question for anyone who has these - if you go for a Hi/Lo set do they normally use xenons for the dipped beam and go back to halogens for the full beam or is it normally xenons for both?

Just wondering as I had thought they used xenons for both but it seems that might not be the case.

Allan
03-12-2007, 17:28
Another quick question for anyone who has these - if you go for a Hi/Lo set do they normally use xenons for the dipped beam and go back to halogens for the full beam or is it normally xenons for both?

Just wondering as I had thought they used xenons for both but it seems that might not be the case.

I have 6k ones, they are quite blue though poeple always say about them being blue, has 6k stamped on them...
Mine use Xenons for both, high and low, the side lights are normal bulbs then dipped it is xenon and main its the same bulb, but it is magneticaly moved to aim them differently, and gives you more light...

Although i want to try a set with quad balasts now to get the real bulbs for main and dipped instead of one :D

donsrno1
03-12-2007, 18:13
Thanks for the advice folks, just one last question.

I know there can be issues with the law about these, but if you were pulled over by the police what would be the likely outcome - would you just be told to change them or would you be fined etc?

Hopefully I wouldn't get pulled over as I know of a few people local to me running similar kits who haven't had any problems, but just incase I would want to know the risk I was running. Also, whats the deal with if they are E-marked or not, I'm still waiting to find out if this set are or not but if they are not what are the consequences if you are caught?

Allan
03-12-2007, 19:06
they could ask you to MOT it, but i have never had any problems with MOT and my local place said there is no limit on the light output only on where it goes and how much power they are rated too.

donsrno1
03-12-2007, 21:54
Just realised I was thinking about this a bit wrong and hadn't quite picked up on how they work properly. If you get the normal Hi/Lo kit on a clio (not a Bi-Xenon kit) does it mean your dipped beam will be xenons but your main beam will just be a halogen bulb?

FATBOY
03-12-2007, 23:17
hi/lo kit are both xenon. as allan pointed out they move up and down magnetically(didnt know that till i read his post) i have them on mine and they look so much better,and light the road much better than standards!

donsrno1
03-12-2007, 23:40
hi/lo kit are both xenon. as allan pointed out they move up and down magnetically(didnt know that till i read his post) i have them on mine and they look so much better,and light the road much better than standards!

Thats the way I had understood it but when I spoke to the guy selling them he said that they will give hid on low beam but halogen on high beam so I'm a bit confused tbh, lol.

He said I could try them on my car first to see what they are like though so I'll do that and then decide.

Coops
04-12-2007, 17:38
if you want brilliant white its 4300k, 6k is slightly tinted blue, very very slightly, and 8k is where it all goes a bit pete tong :wink:

1fast6
04-12-2007, 18:56
I have the H4-4 8k kit on mine (so 4 ballasts etc) and two filaments per bulb.

With a set of brand new headlights the light output is very impressive.

Will get a pic if required.

donsrno1
04-12-2007, 22:32
I have the H4-4 8k kit on mine (so 4 ballasts etc) and two filaments per bulb.

With a set of brand new headlights the light output is very impressive.

Will get a pic if required.

That would be awesome if you could get a pic.

I think I'm going to give these ones a miss and go for some 6000k ones off ebay as I don't really like them to be too blue.

white16valver
05-12-2007, 14:13
Found this while looking on another forum :)

http://www.mechasportstuning.co.uk/images/hid/DSC00335.JPG

from left to right: 8k, 6k, 6k

Not sure if you can see this one but it's HID vs Halogen:
http://www.celica-club.co.uk/forum/index.php?act=attach&type=post&id=5746