PDA

View Full Version : Heater Matrix

BRUN
03-12-2007, 00:36
before the winter really hits, i want to get this done on my car, as my heaters only really get warm at best

anyone ever done a guide on doing it ?

how much of the dash actually has to come off, will i need to remove my stereo, was hoping not as i have quite a few cables going into and out of it and its a ball ache to get them all tucked away so the stereo will go in properly

white16valver
03-12-2007, 13:40
I'd be interested in this too as mine has started blowing colder than the arctic lol

Lunner
03-12-2007, 21:01
The whole dash needs to come off and be pulled forward, if you leave the radio in or not the wires will move when you pull dash away anyways.

You can just about get the metrix out just pulling dash forward, if you haven't had anything like that off before its quite a big job

BRUN
03-12-2007, 23:07
gonna have to buy a breaker bar i think to get my steering wheel off, tried getting it off with my ratchet before but ive not enough leverage

BristolSam16v
04-12-2007, 13:19
gonna have to buy a breaker bar i think to get my steering wheel off, tried getting it off with my ratchet before but ive not enough leverage

Undo the centre nut till its at the end of its thread but don't remove it, hold steering wheel with left and right hand either side, shake it and pull at the same time, that should get it off?

Lunner
04-12-2007, 13:43
slide the jack handle over the end of the rachet bar

u33db
04-12-2007, 14:30
Cant remember if that car had a proper hex bolt or torx for the wheel.

If its a torx i'd be inclined to get a socket t-piece...sticking the breaker bar will usually result in the attchment not being exactly square on therefore mauling the bolt.

BRUN
04-12-2007, 20:29
its a torx mate

Rich
04-12-2007, 20:36
changing the heater matrix is the most ballache pain in the arse job on a clio! i'd rather change an engine than do a heater matrix!

Swervin_Mervin
05-12-2007, 14:36
I thought it was quite easy.

Rich
05-12-2007, 15:26
never said it was hard, just a ballache!

Lunner
05-12-2007, 20:23
changing the heater matrix is the most ballache pain in the arse job on a clio! i'd rather change an engine than do a heater matrix!

agree 100%

Swervin_Mervin
05-12-2007, 23:59
Yeah. Suppose it is a ballache. Tbh I did mine over several nights as the car was off teh road anyway so I could just take my time. Wouldn't really want to have to do it in a rush. :lol:

Ollyb16v
09-12-2007, 17:58
will there be a guide on this as i've got to do mine

BRUN
09-12-2007, 18:59
if i do bite the bullet and do it, ill try and remember to take some pics

Ollyb16v
09-12-2007, 19:03
cool, gonna give it go with the haynes manual

Coops
10-12-2007, 00:40
yeah please do mate, one day am guessin i'll have to do one and sounds like a pig of a job!

katbloke
10-12-2007, 08:57
is it leaking? if not try a good flush first perhaps

white16valver
10-12-2007, 14:06
So who of us who needs it doing is where?

If some of us are local to each other we could have a Matrix Get-together lol and give each other a hand fixing them 8)

Ollyb16v
10-12-2007, 19:18
Well i'm in faversham Kent, clio isn't road worthy at the mo so would have to do it at home, if there are any localies who fancy coming over, got a fairly big drive which could have 4 cars on it if anyone fancied coming over and doing a few matrixes.

As for flushing haven't tried it, what the best method to flushing it.

white16valver
10-12-2007, 19:45
I'm Essex but can travel a bit :)

I think for flushing it might be an idea to get a hose in the return pipe that goes into the header tank, then flush it in reverse to try and dislodge some crap - might also help the radiator as well as mine had quite a lot of crap in it when I took it off!

Ollyb16v
10-12-2007, 19:54
Well my bird lives in essex, got a little bit to do to get my clio roadworthy, fitting new brakes, fit my exhaust back on. I have a new heater matrix with me so can travel once thats done.

I'll give flushing a go.

white16valver
10-12-2007, 19:57
Might be worth dropping someone with a bit more mechanical skill a PM to check though :oops:

I don't *think* you can do any damage, but... :shock: lol

Ollyb16v
11-12-2007, 20:41
Any idea's who?

katbloke
11-12-2007, 21:15
Well i'm in faversham Kent, clio isn't road worthy at the mo so would have to do it at home, if there are any localies who fancy coming over, got a fairly big drive which could have 4 cars on it if anyone fancied coming over and doing a few matrixes.

Remove both large pipes off the expansion, then feed water from a hose through both pipes one at a time, when the water runs clear job done, flush through both ways make doubly sure, if it works then refil system with correct green coolant remembering to bleed the system

Ollyb16v
11-12-2007, 21:44

Remove both large pipes off the expansion, then feed water from a hose through both pipes one at a time, when the water runs clear job done, flush through both ways make doubly sure, if it works then refil system with correct green coolant remembering to bleed the system

Don't mean to sound dumb, how do you bleed the system

cliolord
11-12-2007, 22:58
As mentioned, dash out...The matrix is located smack bang in the center of the dash board. To remove, it must exit towards the passenger footwell and is held into the heater box by a few T20's and plastic clips iirc. The fuse box also gets in the way :roll:

katbloke
12-12-2007, 11:44

Don't mean to sound dumb, how do you bleed the system

Fill the resevoir to the max line, leave cap off, heater in the red setting, start the car, undo the bleed screw on the radiator until water comes out, refit the screw then leave the car running with cap off until fan kicks in, replace cap, job done hopefully.

white16valver
12-12-2007, 14:53
This is all excellent info, thanks chaps :)