wavy
02-12-2007, 16:28
i noticed people recommend the 2.0 16v meg lump
bottom end = better ??
head = bigger valves and stronger crank
higher rev limit
manifold= better power + top end
gearbox=both jb5 whats the difference ?

so my question is the 2.0 16v meg lump an out and out better engine than the willy

also whats the difference in the code
willy = f7r ???
meg = f7r 110

im not planning anything i just wanna know :)

Laine_16v
02-12-2007, 16:37
Meg bottom ends are same as willy ones (apart from the 714 chain driven oil pump variant).

They are the same, no advantages over eachother, expect its geenrally easier to find a lower mileage BE from a meganne than a williams.

The meggy head is a pain to use because it needs machining for the dizzy cap e.t.c and has no real beenfits over the willy head at all.

Meggy BE + 1.8 head is the best cost solution, unless you come accross a full williams engine.

Laine_16v
02-12-2007, 16:39
Williams boxes has a different stronger type of bearing so will last you longer (supposedly), the ratio is slightly different too (for 5th gear i think).

Willy manifolds good for top end, valvers good for mid range, i think thats the jist. Nick Hill has faith in the valver manifold i know that much.

richy
02-12-2007, 21:25
Williams boxes has a different stronger type of bearing so will last you longer (supposedly), the ratio is slightly different too (for 5th gear i think).

Willy manifolds good for top end, valvers good for mid range, i think thats the jist. Nick Hill has faith in the valver manifold i know that much.

the JC5 (williams etc) do have stronger bearings and the gears are heat pressed fitment, not just circlipped like valver boxs, although they still retain the diff circlip

DaveH
02-12-2007, 22:15
Is it true about the longer 5th? Ive heard conflicting opinions on this-Williams/hybrid owners usually claim 140 ish mph (on speedo) but a valver would run out of revs before that and they have another few hundred revs before the limiter

richy
03-12-2007, 12:02
ive not looked at the ratios of both gearboxs tbh my valver had a std valver box on it which could do 140 on the speedo, it now has a almost new jc5 i got from work but i havent done any top speed runs at all, the in gear speeds seem about the same tbh

the other thing is if ppl have been putting the jc5 off different models on, ie kangoo/meganes etc all could have different ratios

Yanoo_
03-12-2007, 13:49

The gear ratio of a JC5-014 is very close to the theroetical perfect gear ratio for F7R700.