PDA

View Full Version : Quieting the exhaust on the Williams

edde
06-06-2005, 23:17
I need to quiten th exhaust on the car since its over 98db for track work plus the nurburg limit is quite low and I don't want to drive there then get banned as I'm to loud.

SO here are some of the ideas I've had has anyone any other ideas or preferences.

1) Different rear box. Seems this is the noisy part of the car so swopping to anohter aftermakret one would quieten it down.

2) Aftermarket universal fit with adjustbale noise filter so you can turn it up and down depending on the limit you want.

3) An aftermarket bolt/ welt on filter type thing which you screw onto the exhaust to muffle the exhaust.

The problem however is cost and welding. The presnet rear box is SS so no welding (unless I can find a cheap TIG welder). One idea to swop the rear box isn't to bad but I'm looking at £100 or so and I wouldn't be able to listen to the exhaust as it is a the moment and it sounds great. Sticking option 3 on is difficult as I cannot weld to the back box (again without a tig welder) but its cheap at £50 although how much it quietens it I don't know Demon Tweeks wouldn't be drawn on an answer. I though about duct tapping the bit on but that probaly not going to be good enough. Driling holes and screwing it on isn't exactly an option either.

Anyone any idea I need to car down to 94DB minimum.

scotte666
06-06-2005, 23:22
cant u go powerflow and ask 4 quiet box 2 be made

edde
06-06-2005, 23:45
cant u go powerflow and ask 4 quiet box 2 be made
Thats one option but how much £ am I look at. I'm cheap so don't want to spend any money on it

However I like the sound of the back box and it looks right plus I might be able to get away with it on track days in the UK so I don't realy want some different back box sticking on.

KingStromba
07-06-2005, 00:22
Put a cat on it?

summeh
07-06-2005, 02:39
I have the following:

Supersprint manifold and downpipe
decat
STANDARD centre section
Scorpian Backbox with 3.5" tailpipe

This system is miles quieter than most at the FCS, kinda wish it was louder. Try putting in a standard centre section and see if it makes a diff ? Works good for me.

Martin
07-06-2005, 07:39
That back box cost 130 notes so you won't get another one for less than 100....I'd try to see if they could chnage the middle box to a bigger one to quieten it a touch...

Steve a
07-06-2005, 08:48
Silenced decat?