PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy alarm

kenny
01-12-2007, 12:57
I am back on the road again after getting an expert in to bypass the old Cobra alarm. I was not able to find all the wiring in spite of the wisdom and experience of the likes of Northy etc. Anyway, the system had been wired to the fuel pump & ignition in such a way as to disable the engine in the event of an imobiliser fault, not safe at all as my experience can testify as I came to a rolling halt in the middle of Dartford Tunnel and for those not familiar with this place it's a fast two lane tunnel connecting Kent & Essex under the Thames, a scary place to stop, me and my 2 passengers had to run to get away from the car to safety. But, the purpose of this thread is , if like me you have an old system and you were thinking of replacing it, do it sooner rather than later as yours might well be a sub-standard fitment :evil: as well or at least get it checked as it just shouldn't do that. I am getting a Toade fitted next friday by Martin of MSI security. He seems to come highly recommened

drsmith1979
01-12-2007, 13:29
if you have problems with the install or the units themselves, ring the help line on the Cobra website, i had an issue with my siren and the tech guy on the other end was very helpful even on such an old model, got it sorted!

but yes, you are right, a new one will be fitted sooner rather than later.

Anyone recommend the best alarm out there for money? Toad? these were bought out a few years back and subsequently their quality dropped, although from what i hear its back upto standard again. any other options?

FATBOY
01-12-2007, 14:15
TOAD Ai606 thats where its at!

kenny
01-12-2007, 14:58
Having one of those toads as they seem to be well liked here. Although the guy who came out to me obviously wanted to sell me a replacement and said his personal preference would be cobra. He also said some of the options with a boy racer alarm system like toad, remote start, or pager warning invalidates its cat one status, I don't know how true this is, and I don't think it mattered to him which option I would have chosen as they were all the same price, plus I'm not bothering with any options anyway, but if you are contemplating any it might pay you to check first, especially if you have informed your ins co you have cat one.

drsmith1979
01-12-2007, 15:41
cobra are good, but you ask 10 different suppliers what their preference is and they will all be different, all depends on who their official supplier is, Its Meta alarms or Clifford round this way, but then you go elsewhere and they sware by toad or cobra lol.....

kenny
08-12-2007, 12:49
Had toad fitted yesterday, £220, removed all traces of old alarm new one fitted in a couple of hours by Martin, MSI Security, 08000122331. No charge for travel as he already had booking this way.

BRUN
08-12-2007, 14:10
Cobra are very good alarm systems, one of the best

FATBOY
08-12-2007, 14:38
Had toad fitted yesterday, £220, removed all traces of old alarm new one fitted in a couple of hours by Martin, MSI Security, 08000122331. No charge for travel as he already had booking this way.

dont know how many hes done for williams owners now!!! :D he goes all over the country, and not had any problems with mine since its been fitted (10 months now).

drsmith1979
08-12-2007, 14:53
i smell club discount 8)

kenny
08-12-2007, 16:32
i smell club discount 8)

You could be right, but £220 seems pretty reasonable considering the local guy who bypassed my old system said I could have a toad if I wanted, but the fitted price was the same as the cobra, £350. But nothing ventured, nothing gained, who would deal with that sort of thing?

ae
08-12-2007, 20:12
For anyone in Scotland I got mine replaced by www.evolutionice.com Top guy goes anywhere to fit. £200 gets a Cat 1 alarm (Toad, Hornet, Viper, Clifford). Lifetime warranty.

Andrew

Crossers
10-12-2007, 06:23
Got to hand it to Cobra, when mine failed i rang a number in France, they in broken English passed me an english mobile number.

The Engineer was extreemly helpful, his knowlege from memory of the wiring on these old clios was astonishing!

Paul