PDA

View Full Version : sunroof problem cont....

titcharoony
28-11-2007, 00:51
as i posted some time ago, I'm having the classic problem with the leaky sunroof. I do intend on fixing it...but funds are a lil low at mo..
anyway, i believe my sunroof has packed in due to water gettin in. Ive wrapped up the circuit baord so the central locking works, but theres a whistle when i go past 50mph, so Im thinking its probably the sunroof hasnt closes properly as its packed in. Might just be switch so ill try and replace that first see if i can get it to shut. but the whistle seems to be getting at lower and lower speeds, it was above 70 it wud whistle, now its 50....is there a danger of my sunroof coming out? it seems to be leaking from around the central locking sensor and console

rob-legend
02-12-2007, 14:04
what did u wrap the circuit board in?

BRUN
02-12-2007, 14:13
it wont just come out mate

Coops
02-12-2007, 14:56
as said it wont just come out. best bet is to get a manual handle and open it, then clean the seal and coat it in vaseline including a big thick slick of it all the way round, then close the sunroof glass back down onto it. not ideal but a cheap fix that should help till you can afford to fix it

1995clio16v
02-12-2007, 16:59
but theres a whistle when i go past 50mph

Just turn your music up and it will go away!

:lol:

Daz.
02-12-2007, 17:51
you can manually shut the sunroof with a screwdriver turning the motor but usually buggers up the motor - the fact yours is buggered means you can do this I guess!

number1
02-12-2007, 21:55
Ive had the sunroof out, sealed around the plastic edge which joins to the roof, still leaked, sealed around the glass sealing it shut... Twice, still leaks, sunroofs getting replaced with a sheet of steel or aluminium,

F**ked right off with it!

titcharoony
03-12-2007, 14:38
eeeeek. lol ill try shutting is manually, and go from there. probably what ill do is get another good sunroof/motor n seal. n get a professional fitter to do it. just wrapped the board in a small plastic bag nice n tight...
If i recall yars ago there was loads of professional sunroof fitters whod pop over n do the job, but theyre just dried up from what I can see.
Oh, and for ur amusement, ive had water pour from the bottom centre console where the passenger footwell is....nice.

titcharoony
03-12-2007, 17:11
but theres a whistle when i go past 50mph

Just turn your music up and it will go away!

:lol:

I do reguarly! i have to! im tempted to masking tape the edge of the sunroof up till i can get it fixed. ill put up pics for u all. niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice hahaha

Daz.
03-12-2007, 17:19
thats all I did like I said in the other thread - As soon as I rang him and said I had a clio he asked if i enjoyed daily showers :lol:

He had done many by the sounds of it.

Never even saw him do it actually I was at work all day it was done on the drive that afternoon

titcharoony
03-12-2007, 17:32
sweet! ill try n find one in the yellow pages or sumting

rob-legend
03-12-2007, 20:42
thats all I did like I said in the other thread - As soon as I rang him and said I had a clio he asked if i enjoyed daily showers :lol:

He had done many by the sounds of it.

Never even saw him do it actually I was at work all day it was done on the drive that afternoon

how much did he do it for? (roughly) my sunroof is gash too :roll:

Daz.
03-12-2007, 20:50
It was £120 and it was money bloody well spent!

rob-legend
03-12-2007, 20:54
did ya get the number from the yellow pages like?

Daz.
03-12-2007, 20:58
I did indeed

titcharoony
03-12-2007, 21:20
so hat was £120 for the fitment? or including new seal. ill try n get a good 2nd hand sunroof if the mototrs gone

Daz.
03-12-2007, 22:07
a new seal wasn't required he used this mat stuff that replaced the seal and bonded it on - the inner seal was fine I had replaced that a while before

rob jones
04-06-2008, 08:46
Agree with Daz - water leak is common to all clio sunroofs - easily fixed using new sealant between car roof body and frame of sunroof - use Sikaflex or similar - cost me @ £100 for local garage to do. Took 2-3 hours sunroof out etc etc.

BUT - now have a new problem of excessive windnoise at 50 mph plus
- can anyone advise how to adjust sunroof glass to tighten harder onto the rubbers?
- would new rubber seals solve? they look fine to me.
-any ideas / solutions please

thanks

Bobby dazzler

1995clio16v
04-06-2008, 09:54
Hi guys,

I had a problem with my sunroof and this may help you that cannot get the glass to tighten down onto the rubber...read on..and maybe it isnt always the rubber going ****ed, i suspect sometimes the glass doesnt wind down far enough.

Its pretty vague without me taking my sunroof motor out as it was last summer when it happened so make of it what you can.

I thought that the seal had gone on my sunroof, but it turned out to be fine and after ****ing the seal up, by being a rough ass and filling it with silicone, I ended up paying a fortune for a new one, but here is what I found to be the problem..

Inside the motor mechanism in the roof there seems to be a factory fault, or this is certainly what I found. There is some stupid sort of ridge that holds the cogs in the motor and this persihes over time, so what I did was I screwed a self tapping screw into the frame of the motor to keeps the bits sat down.

I just found that the cogs (i think) were not being held in place firmly enough for it to tighten the roof down!!!

Ill try and get some pics up later. As I say its all a bit vague as it was a year ago!

So my advice is check this first as I went and sealed my roof up, knackered the seal, £50 for a new one when it was simply the need for a simple modification, **** me I was mad at the time!!

:o 8)

talkingfish
04-06-2008, 11:45
buy a Willy 1 or 2..... :P

seriously, also check the aerial mounting too 'cos it tends to leak through there too!!

u33db
04-06-2008, 12:58
it wont just come out mate

Ho-ho - remember its french....

:)

rob jones
04-06-2008, 13:12
GUYS - CAN YOU READ THE QUESTION PLEASE AND STOP BEING SO ANAL ABOUT THE LEAKY SUNROOFS - JUST SEAL THEM PROPERLY!

The problem I am asking about is windnoise from the front edge of the sunroof which in my case [as I have solved the leaking completly and absolutley for ever] is down to an inadequate seal or lack of presure between the glass and the seal @ the front edge of the frame.

The seal is fine -al good.

SO - how do we adjust the pressure of the roof on the rubber seal?

Bobby

u33db
04-06-2008, 16:43
There is no way to 'adjust' the pressure without modifying something.

TBH i think you've answered your own question mate - your electrics aren't working so either it hasn't closed properly or it has worked slightly loose since breaking therby loosing pressure on the seal.

From memory (been a while) theres a small plug on the underside of the electric motor that you can get a socket bit into and wind it manually.

Go take the roof console off and have a look as it been about 3 years since i've had a lecky sunroof so can't remember for sure....should be right in the centre of where the main cog would be.

1995clio16v
04-06-2008, 20:11
YOUR ALL WRONG YOU ****ERS!!

DO MY WAY FIRST IF YOU WANT MORE PRESSURE!! TRUST ME IT WILL WORK IF YOU FIND THAT'S THE FAULT.

:evil: :roll: