PDA

View Full Version : Are the garage trying to rip me off?

NAPLES VALVER 123
26-11-2007, 22:11
The williams as been at the garage having cambelt and water pump fitted.

They rang me this afternoon to say that the timing plate ( the bit that tensions the aux belt that has teeth on the plate, have been worn away a bit) so they have tighten to aux belt ok, but said that i should change the plate which is £150 else there a risk if comes loose the timing well be thrown out.

Now when ive looked at this part i cant see how it will affect things.

are they having me on :? any help appreciated

Allan
26-11-2007, 23:19
The cambelt has like teeth so maybe they ment you have a worn cambelt tensioner ?? or idler?
did they change these while the belt was off?

The teeth are on on the cam pully's and on the bottom pully (aux belt runs off this too but on a diff pully off the same shaft)

The discription doesnt really make sense

Im not sure what they mean by teath as the aux belt has tracks on it, they are like groves in the pully and the belt sits in them...

NAPLES VALVER 123
26-11-2007, 23:51
sorry about the description :oops: heres the part they want me to get
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v721/shanehandley/timingplate.jpg

Basicaly there saying the aux belt tensioner sits on this and the teeth on the plate where the arrow is :wink: are worn.

They said if it slips the timing will be out but i cant see how this would be :!: :?:

Coops
27-11-2007, 00:11
wont affect timing atall, will just mean the aux belt will go loose and not run the waterpump, power steering pump or alternator properly and make a shed load of squealing noise!

the tensioner for the aux belt does have a gear on the back that engages a ratchet type toothed moulding in the alloy on that plate and it can get worn. mines the same so i simply loosened it as far as it can go and spaced out the top alternator bracket to re-tighten it again.

NAPLES VALVER 123
27-11-2007, 00:14
thanks for the help mate,

They got me worried when they mentioned timing but i think thats what they wanted to do :roll: :)

So if the belt tensions up ok, i dont really need the part?

Allan
27-11-2007, 00:34
should be fine, only thing i can think of damage the cam belt would be if the aux snapped and did some damage when it went.

The actual aux tensioner just tightens on an alan key so as long as they make sure the belt is on tight and the tensioner does up it should be fine

richy
27-11-2007, 00:54
the reason it will have been recomemded it because there is always a chance if the aux belt failed/came off it would get wrapped around the crank and lock it up causing damage.

MatBrown
27-11-2007, 01:08
I can supply you a 2nd hand one of them brackets for a lot less than they quoted.

Mat.

2 live
27-11-2007, 10:15
and they are nowhere near £150 new either. lol

white16valver
27-11-2007, 20:29
cheeky ****ers!