PDA

View Full Version : INSURANCE - Track/Race CAR

evouk
26-11-2007, 11:34
Hi its renewal time for my cup car.

Last year I was with HIC who did me a good quote covering modifications, agreed value and track day cover (providing it has a MOT)

Now some muppet is saying that i need a thatcham cat 2 imoboliser fitted to the car as it now has a 2.0 l engine in it. I have tried to explain the car is garaged on a trailer and is a race car not a road car and does 100 miles if that on the road a year and about 1000 MAX a year in total. How many race cars have cat 2 imobolisers, anyhow he wouldnt have it so.

I am guessing a cat 2 imob will cost over 100 pounds to fit???

Where do you get your insurance for your track cars not just your everyday car, i think i need a pecialsit classic insurer or race insurer.??

2 live
26-11-2007, 12:04
most co.s will insure them without an alarm, just not against theft.

Martin
26-11-2007, 12:36
cat 2 will cost you 90/100 pounds...

summeh
26-11-2007, 14:10
insurance on a racing car???? :?

summeh
26-11-2007, 14:11
oh yeah forgot yours is road legal :lol: as well.

evouk
26-11-2007, 14:19
Yeah its road legal now, cost a bit to make it road legal!!!

Is yours not insured then for theft or track damage???

I am looking for an agreed value with limited mileage. They quoted only 120 pounds for 12 months with track cover but it has to have a cat 2 imob.

Guaranteed value is £15 on top and you have to supply engineers report and photos and may get it inspected, not a problem to do this though, done it last year!!

Anyone sudgest any other insurers?

Also summe you reckon 90 to 100 for a cat 2? Hope they can wire it to the VEMS?

cliorod
26-11-2007, 19:27
I got my rally car insured for three months,fully comp,and this includes on event cover ~~ not on the stages,but on the road sections.You need to produce,either a club card,competition licence,MSA log book but they accept the modifications no problem.
The price £219:21 this is with COMPETITION CAR INSURANCE.

www.competition-car-insurance.co.uk

I am sure they will be able to offer something similar.It might sound a lot,but for every event I do that has ropad sections ~~ then it is £30+ for the MSA approved insurers ~~
To clarify ALL events using the public highway need the 3rd party idemnity ~~ which most policies do not have ~~ read the small print and exclusions on your policy.

stevie_b
26-11-2007, 20:55
My car club has an association with these guys: http://www.moris.co.uk/

I haven't tried them myself but it might be worth getting a quote to see how they compare as its not like there are dozens of insurers in this field!

Competition Car Insurance seem pretty good too. Their boss is a big motorsport fan and encourages all his staff to use a car in some form of motorsport - I have come across a few of them out playing during my sprinting/hillclimbing - so chances are the phone will get answered by someone who understands a fair bit about what they are talking about :D

evouk
26-11-2007, 21:50
cheers will see what they have to say :D