PDA

View Full Version : Getting springs made up

u33db
21-11-2007, 15:51
Does anyone have links for companies that'd do this?

Also whats the routine...i assume they'll need to know the required poundage but what about ride height?

Thanks in advance.

8)

MAXIBOY
21-11-2007, 19:18
springs for what car...

richy
21-11-2007, 20:16
i had a set made up through mark ritchspeed, cant get them via him no more like, but they required the freestanding height and what poundage i wanted them at, also the height be it std or lower etc and obviously what car so they can make the correct set

not sure who can do this now, not looked into it for years, although i beleive if you ring avo they still might be able to make a set for you

u33db
21-11-2007, 21:07
springs for what car...

Clio RT.

I'm not splashing out on coilovers to lower it so custom springs seem the next option

u33db
21-11-2007, 21:08
i had a set made up through mark ritchspeed, cant get them via him no more like, but they required the freestanding height and what poundage i wanted them at, also the height be it std or lower etc and obviously what car so they can make the correct set

not sure who can do this now, not looked into it for years, although i beleive if you ring avo they still might be able to make a set for you

Excellent thanks!

I'll give them a ring tomorrow.

:)

AndyFielder
22-11-2007, 11:35
how low do you want it?

i have a set of 55mm springs for an RT here that i want sold.

u33db
22-11-2007, 11:53
Thanks but its got -55mm springs on it atm and isn't low enough TBH.

Well i say that...

The rear is lowered so the sills are level and i'm happy with the way that looks but i'm wanting the front a bit lower to tidy the handling up.

I don't know...the ideal option is get some lower springs on the front but it may be more hassle than its worth, maybe i should just raise the back up a tad to a more normal height and be done with it?

AndyFielder
22-11-2007, 11:55
-55mm on an RT is lower than my valver is now on 35mm springs and shocks.

u33db
22-11-2007, 12:35
Really?

I always remember my old 16v being super low on 35mm springs but that was years ago and on 55 profile so perhaps it wasn't really?

I don't have any pics of it now but heres it with its new owner a while back;
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y186/mbrunskill/rear.jpg

My RT now (bad pic);
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/u33db/cliort/Image007.jpg

That was right after i lowered it so its settled a bit now but front arch has plenty of space left IMO.

?

AndyFielder
22-11-2007, 12:58
yeah that looks and sounds about right... what colour springs are on it?

You cant go much lower in springs else the shocks will bottem out too quick.

Andy

u33db
22-11-2007, 16:04
Red...they're cheap and cheerful PI's.

I think i'll just have to raise the back a little. I know i was mumping about coilovers being too expensive but i think will customs springs and perhaps shortened shocks it'll work out about the same most likely?

u33db
22-11-2007, 16:04
Red...they're cheap and cheerful PI's.

I think i'll just have to raise the back a little. I know i was mumping about coilovers being too expensive but i think will customs springs and perhaps shortened shocks it'll work out about the same most likely?

Rich
22-11-2007, 18:51
a pair of custom wound springs should cost you no more than £120! if you can get decent coilies for that then please tell me where from and i'll open up a shop! even with a decent pair of dampers you're still laughing

MAXIBOY
22-11-2007, 19:47
leda used to make them

u33db
23-11-2007, 10:13
a pair of custom wound springs should cost you no more than £120! if you can get decent coilies for that then please tell me where from and i'll open up a shop! even with a decent pair of dampers you're still laughing

I suppose you're right.

What confused me is that some dude at motorsport world said that their 'sports' shocks aren't actually shortned, they're just uprated. Shortned ones would be about 100-150 each -> custom springs + shortned shocks would come to about 350ish which is almost FK coilover prices?

He could have been talking sh1t quite frankly as even the std shox on the car have the ability to go way lower and still compress a spring.