PDA

View Full Version : Willy manifold v Valver manifold

KingStromba
06-06-2005, 16:36
The valver was fitted with a 4-2-1 to beef up the low down torque as being a revvy 1.8 it lacked low down grunt.

The Williams being a torquey 2.0 had a 4-1 manifold as it lacked top end grunt as it only revved to 6500 rpm.

That makes sense to me.

So fit a valver 4-2-1 manifold to a williams and you will lose top end grunt, but get a bit of an increase in mid range.

Fine

Fit a 4-1 to a valver and it will remove alot of the torque from the midrange and replace it with more top end.

Again that is understandable.

I can see why people fit 4-2-1 manifolds to Williams' to gain mid range torque.

My question is however:

If you fit a 4-2-1 manifold to a cammed Williams , isnt that counter productive, as now the 4-1 manifold would be in it element with all that nice top end cam power and a higher rev limit to take advantage of that 5.5k to 7.2k rev band?

So a cammed Williams would surely benefit more from a 4-1, as if your on the limiter, then you change and keep the revs high the 4-1 is always giving you nice top end. Harder to drive quick, but nontheless a quicker car?

BenR
06-06-2005, 20:59
The main problem with the williams 4-1 is the bore size, its very very small and cannot support any usable volume of gas flow. Its restrictive rather than the pulse tuning effects being incorrect. The bore shrinks to about 50% of the size of the port exit itself.

If we do talk about pulse tuning, the primaries are far too short.

The valver cast manfiold is a work of casting art and i havent seen another cast manifold of such complexity, its bore is larger, more consistant and the collectors are more effiecint.

KingStromba
06-06-2005, 21:31
So if i slap a valver manifold on and its better in everyway (which is the impression you get reading what people say), i have one question:

WHY DID RENO MAKE THE 4-1?

It obviously holds advantages. If so, WHAT?

BenR
06-06-2005, 21:53
from years of people running and trying out the combinations, it seems there are no benefits of the 4-1 at all.

I'd bet you couldnt get your index finger down the primaries of it.

KingStromba
06-06-2005, 22:22
I dont beleive it. Didnt they develop it just for the Williams? You telling me they pay alot of money to develop it and then on the development cars get a decrease in power and stick with it? Reno Marketing dept are thick as shit, but Renault Sport know there stuff.

BenR
06-06-2005, 22:35
try it.

only thing i can suggest

VIPERONE
06-06-2005, 22:44
im using a valver one....cant wait to torque about it/.

Daz
06-06-2005, 23:17
The famous "Red Valver" had a Valver manifold on 2.0l, with cams, head work etc.. was stupidly quick, heh.

2 live
07-06-2005, 09:51
but its slower than mine in same spec with willy manifold........

2 live
07-06-2005, 10:11
well .mines lower spec actually....but was near as dammit when std apart from zorst....adis 14.2 to my 14.6 b4 his gas