PDA

View Full Version : braided steel brake hoses=read if you have them!

bill.
20-11-2007, 16:07
3 different cars, 3 different mot's, and 3 different sets of stainless steel braided hose kits for the brakes have all let go on the brake test on the mot! wierd eh?! WTF! :shock:

1st on the valver, 2nd the sapphire cosworth and now 3rd time on the williams, bad luck or what? then again better it happen on the mot test rather than when pushing a civic type r up the road :wink:

On a serious note though folks i suggest anyone running them gets them changed regularly, as a safety procedure, you never know what condition there in under neath the stainless steel as i've found out 3 times lol. could potentialy be a life saver

bill

cliopete
20-11-2007, 16:33
Couldn't agree more, being the owner of the Williams that failed. There was only slight fraying of the stainless braiding where the hose went into the ferrule mounted on the inner wing. The hoses always seemed to be a bit short, being virtually tight when on full lock. I think they were fitted about five years ago.
Pete

bill.
20-11-2007, 16:34
failed on the road?

cliopete
20-11-2007, 16:36
Sorry should have said another Williams that failed.

cliopete
20-11-2007, 16:37
No, like you actually failed during MOT

bill.
20-11-2007, 16:41
right, maybe its more common than i thought then, still could potentially be very dangerous though, makes you wonder if its even worth fitting them, i had them fitted to my valver but the other 2 cars came with them on, needless to say there getting replaced as we speak with the standard items!

Scougar
20-11-2007, 17:34
Just need to make sure they are long enough to start with. Metal doesn't stretch too well unlike rubber, so if they start to fray I assume all the pressure goes to the weakest point (i.e. where the rubber is exposed), and is more likely to break than a normal rubber hose which can stretch across the entire length of the hose.

If any brake hose is too short for the job, then it is unfit for purpose, and should take it back to the company who produced them. That is a statuatory right surely?

Matthew

arj256
20-11-2007, 18:07
Iirc the braided hoses you buy for the Williams are the same length as the 16v.
So with the widetrack there being stretched on full lock, so will eventually fail.

Could have a warrenty case on the failed items?

white16valver
20-11-2007, 19:21
You'd need to have a test case.

Perhaps we should construct a letter, warning Goodrich or whoever sells them that not providing willy-specific hoses may lead to a compensation claim against them, especially if it can be proved that they knew about it? (which they would as you'd include full photos and evidence in your letter, and send it registered delivery so it's signed for ;))

Rich
20-11-2007, 20:29
just ring them and ask them to make you some williams hoses up but 2" longer and they will. no extra charge.

powell
24-11-2007, 12:43
3 different cars, 3 different mot's, and 3 different sets of stainless steel braided hose kits for the brakes have all let go on the brake test on the mot! wierd eh?! WTF! :shock:

1st on the valver, 2nd the sapphire cosworth and now 3rd time on the williams, bad luck or what? then again better it happen on the mot test rather than when pushing a civic type r up the road :wink:

On a serious note though folks i suggest anyone running them gets them changed regularly, as a safety procedure, you never know what condition there in under neath the stainless steel as i've found out 3 times lol. could potentialy be a life saver

bill you should not be pushing any car up the road not that a williams could get near a civic type r

2 live
24-11-2007, 12:52
lol^^ iv lost count of the ctrs iv left behind.

they arent all that.

richy
24-11-2007, 14:16
ive had braided hoses on my old VTR and both my williams and 16v over the last 6 years and never had a problem with any of them.

Daz.
24-11-2007, 14:57
just ring them and ask them to make you some williams hoses up but 2" longer and they will. no extra charge.

Who goodridge themselves?

I'd much rather do that than leave these valver ones on...

Shame they don't do just the front ones I've got the rears sat here that I never got fitted!

Purple
24-11-2007, 15:39
Had mine for 11 years. Make sure to protect them from corrosion. Usually happens at the ends of the hoses. I coat my hoses with anti-corrosion stuff.

Rich
24-11-2007, 17:48

Who goodridge themselves?

I'd much rather do that than leave these valver ones on...

Shame they don't do just the front ones I've got the rears sat here that I never got fitted!

yes thats correct mate. they will make you just the front ones if you ask nicely