PDA

View Full Version : sensible heads....no bias opinions (as if)

freebone16v
19-11-2007, 13:03
so i use to own a mint 1.8 16v, i sold that for to much and then bought the car that i always fancied owning at some point the ph1 172.

since i have owned it i have been slightly disappointed, i know its quicker than the valver but it doesn't feel as fun or chuckable.

this i could possibly put down to a few things, its quieter (its got full interior and not buckets/harnesses) it has poo tyres on it at the moment, its not low enough....lol

i have recently been thinking about selling the 172 and going back to mark 1 ownership, maybe a hybrid or a mint williams, i don't need the money but if i sold up the extra £££ may be nice, at present i am commuting 40 miles daily also but am looking at moving in turn not using the car during the week in the early part of next year so am not sure what to do...

try and be as objective as possible..do i

put better tyres on the 172, persist as its got good milage is in mint condition and is practical, more reliable and more comfortable

or

sell up, buy a mint williams, bank the little ££ difference there will be and hope the williams doesn't die in the time between now and moving

what you reckon?

neil

AndyFielder
19-11-2007, 13:05
lower, strip and fit buckets to your 172... SORTED

J o n
19-11-2007, 13:13
Keep the 172 as it will be more reliable day to day and easier to live with... granted, not as fun but I'd not use a Mk1 as a daily driver ever again, too old now imo.

Mick_RSC
19-11-2007, 13:23
Have you considered a 1916v? They are pretty cheap now.

2 live
19-11-2007, 13:24
depends..i use mine evry day, granted its not doing a lot of mileage, but it wouldnt matter if it was..

depends on what you want out of your car tbh mate. if u want comfort, reliability, sell the 165 and buy german.

u want speed, buy jap

u want a bit of evrything....buy a williams ;)

2 live
19-11-2007, 13:25

for a reason.they slower, dont handle any better than a valver. better off with a valver ;)

Mick_RSC
19-11-2007, 13:29
Better off with a clio if you dont mind being seen in what is essentially a girls car. Earings with that sir?

Daz.
19-11-2007, 13:30
Your not happy with the 172 so obviously it's not the car your looking for - you could mod it and be happy with it but for me if your not happy with the car in the first place modding it would be a waste of time...

A Willy prefers to be driven every day - yes they're a cunt if you only drive them here and there but if you drive them everyday and I'n not talking mega miles here mine goes 5 miles to work and 5 miles back (ish) then they're as easy to live with as any other car.

I'm talking standard here - if you find yourself moaning that it can't be used everyday then ask yourself why - Is it the suspension, tyres and exhaust thats getting on your nerves? - I'd bet it probably is :D

2 live
19-11-2007, 13:33
Better off with a clio if you dont mind being seen in what is essentially a girls car. Earings with that sir?

lol.... and just like a girl.theyl come 1st ;)

northy
19-11-2007, 13:34
what about a trophy or cup - something a bit more harder than yours

Daz.
19-11-2007, 13:39
Saw a trophy for the first time in ages the other day - must admit I thought it looked awesome :D

freebone16v
19-11-2007, 13:40
alot of quick replies

i am on about cars mate, if i wanted a boat i would get an oceanliner....lol...would never own the above over a willy/valver

may consider a cup but at the moment i am not in the financial position to do that. i see peoples comments, i think i lost alot of trust in the 172 when i spun suddenly, the handling just didn't feel as planted as the valver, this could be todo with the oo tyres which may make quite a difference if changed.

other things annoy me like the annoying rattles, sure i didn't have them in the valver (or perhaps time has erased them from my mind)

Mick_RSC
19-11-2007, 14:01
alot of quick replies

i am on about cars mate, if i wanted a boat i would get an oceanliner....lol...would never own the above over a willy/valver

may consider a cup but at the moment i am not in the financial position to do that. i see peoples comments, i think i lost alot of trust in the 17poo when i spun suddenly, the handling just didn't feel as planted as the valver, this could be todo with the oo tyres which may make quite a difference if changed.

other things annoy me like the annoying rattles, sure i didn't have them in the valver (or perhaps time has erased them from my mind)

In naval terms, anything that can carry its own 'boat' is a ship. Ie an ocean liner carries life boats so it is a ship. Submarines cannot carry lifeboats, but used to be often carried on ships, so they are classified a boat.

A 19 16v is a car because it has wheels and a driver. If you do need a boat or a ship, id first decide what you want to suit your requirements then check out www.boattrader.co.uk.

Oh and in case you didnt realise, an ocean liner is not a VOSA approved method of transport for use on public highways and as such is excempt for the MOT test.

Good luck.

u33db
19-11-2007, 14:26
I think your problem is you've got too strict a criteria to fill.

A hot hatch does not make a great economical commuter in any book and vice-versa, a sensible car do not mean fun so you can't have it all.

Personally speaking if i was doing 40 miles a day then a clio is the last place i'd want to be spending the time...theres a lot more cars that'll do the job better/be more comfortable/be cheaper/be as fast.

However, if it has to be a clio then no question stick with the 172...

drsmith1979
19-11-2007, 14:29
i use my williams as a daily driver and it performs flawlessly!... well most of the time! haha... more fun than my 172 cup and my Evo, as 2live said, its a blend of everything

freebone16v
19-11-2007, 15:03
In naval terms, anything that can carry its own 'boat' is a ship. Ie an ocean liner carries life boats so it is a ship. Submarines cannot carry lifeboats, but used to be often carried on ships, so they are classified a boat.

A 19 16v is a car because it has wheels and a driver. If you do need a boat or a ship, id first decide what you want to suit your requirements then check out www.boattrader.co.uk.

Oh and in case you didnt realise, an ocean liner is not a VOSA approved method of transport for use on public highways and as such is excempt for the MOT test.

Good luck.

pmsl.....cheers chap

with regards to there being better cars for the money to commute in i know about those, but thats not the issue i have highlighted really is it, i still want to have fun and power in my life its just in what context at what suits

eternalife
19-11-2007, 15:19
Similar predicament for myself - i have in the past owned a clio mk1 16v and now own a 1 7 2 phase 1. The 1 7 2 had new crap tyres on it wen i got it - changing to some premium tyres have definitely changed the feel of the car (and thats considering i only changed the fronts :oops: !). My 1 7 2 doesnt rattle and my valver did -so im guessing its a matter of finding the cause of the rattle and sorting it out. :?

As its your only car, keep the 1 7 2 and get the tyres changed to one of the usual suspects PE2's / GE-F1's etc - i am sure u will notice big difference in the way the car drives. :)

Also, what pressures are you running on your current tyres?
I used a method of trial and error with tyre pressure to find my optimum.

J o n
19-11-2007, 15:47
why not just get a cheapo valver and hybrid it, they cost nothing these days to buy and convert and it will be more fun than the 172

I have some shite coilovers on my 172, but properly setup and the handling is okay, but nothing special... think you'll want to get a Williams or better yet a 197 or Megane if you want an even better handling car that's new, fast and comfy.

2 live
19-11-2007, 16:42
megane would get my vote over the 197 tbh mate.

:twisted:

Tom16v
19-11-2007, 17:04
I'm pretty sure i'm going back to a mk1 mate. The memorys came flooding back on Sat.

Andy P
19-11-2007, 18:33
I cant see how people dont think a mk1 is a good daily driver?

The ph2 seats are just as comfy as any, the only anoying thing is the heavy clutch....if you're a girl :wink:

Dan_mk1
19-11-2007, 19:04
I use to use my 16v daily with no troubles, dont see the fuss!?

Jamie.
19-11-2007, 19:46

I agree.

Never had a problem with mine touch wood.

Daz.
19-11-2007, 19:58
Clutch isn't even an issue if you get a new pedal assembly!

Your all girls! :wink:

DaveH
19-11-2007, 21:58
I still use my valver daily in an around 35 mile commute and its ok- theres still always that niggle in my head that it might brake down in traffic that usually makes me move to the inside lane just in case (touch wood :shock: )

I was in heavy traffic this morning and i saw one broken down car- it was a williams!

donsrno1
19-11-2007, 22:17
I use the hybrid as a daily driver, doing at least 200 miles a week on average and I have no worries about using it like that whatsoever. I've not had any major problems with it, at the same time though I wouldn't buy one if I couldn't do the work on it myself, I would also make sure you know about the history of the car and when components were replaced etc.

richy
19-11-2007, 22:43
so i use to own a mint 1.8 16v, i sold that for to much and then bought the car that i always fancied owning at some point the ph1 17poo.

since i have owned it i have been slightly disappointed, i know its quicker than the valver but it doesn't feel as fun or chuckable.

this i could possibly put down to a few things, its quieter (its got full interior and not buckets/harnesses) it has poo tyres on it at the moment, its not low enough....lol

i have recently been thinking about selling the 17poo and going back to mark 1 ownership, maybe a hybrid or a mint williams, i don't need the money but if i sold up the extra £££ may be nice, at present i am commuting 40 miles daily also but am looking at moving in turn not using the car during the week in the early part of next year so am not sure what to do...

try and be as objective as possible..do i

put better tyres on the 17poo, persist as its got good milage is in mint condition and is practical, more reliable and more comfortable

or

sell up, buy a mint williams, bank the little ££ difference there will be and hope the williams doesn't die in the time between now and moving

what you reckon?

neil

i dont have a 1 7 2, but i have a 1 8 2 and its my daily drive, i do 32mile a day in it to work and back and love it, had it 7month and think its a brilliant car, i ended up lowering it 20mm a few month ago but thats the only mod (1 8 2 ff with cup pack),

i drive nearly all backroads to work and use to drive the williams and 16v down the same roads for 3 years, and imho i think its just as good if not better in certain places, esp power wise its def faster overall, i have Goodyear Eagle f1 tyres all round and played about with tyre pressures for abit to get it how i like, ive took it around the nurburgring to and loved it!

freebone16v
21-11-2007, 11:18

I agree.

Never had a problem with mine touch wood.

i would totally agree with you guys, i have argued this case many a time on cs about mark 1 reliability, just as long as you spend the ££££ initially. i owned mine for 2.5 years and in all that time it only broke down once and that was a clutch cable.....

i dont have a 1 7 2, but i have a 1 8 2 and its my daily drive, i do 32mile a day in it to work and back and love it, had it 7month and think its a brilliant car, i ended up lowering it 20mm a few month ago but thats the only mod (1 8 2 ff with cup pack),

i drive nearly all backroads to work and use to drive the williams and 16v down the same roads for 3 years, and imho i think its just as good if not better in certain places, esp power wise its def faster overall, i have Goodyear Eagle f1 tyres all round and played about with tyre pressures for abit to get it how i like, ive took it around the nurburgring to and loved it!

think i just miss the chuckability and maybe the interaction really. think the chuckability is maybe down to not trusting it on my part though. your saying about tyres, it came with 4 crappy tyres all round, 2 wore down so i put 2 goody f1's on the front.....big mistake, then i spun (hence the untrustworthy feeling now), the goody's are now on the back and shitties on the front, does feel better, will have to wait for them to ware out then i will be putting more goody's on...

thats if i don't sell it first lol

Matty86
21-11-2007, 12:10

mine made it all the way to the ring and back, flawlessly

broke on the ferry mind ;)

2 live
21-11-2007, 13:11
mine made it all way to spa trackday and then back, then a trackday at oulton a few weeks later. no real probs. oil top up between and that was about it.

Clio-Girl
21-11-2007, 14:06
i use my hybrid as a daily drive and dont really have any problems with it

freebone16v
21-11-2007, 14:59
think i may look into this further then

fancy going back i think.........i dunno....lol

Matty86
21-11-2007, 15:45
just get a mk1, you know you want to.

Daz.
21-11-2007, 19:03
Only a badly maintained car should let you down in any situation - One thats tip top should, in theory be reliable whatever it is