PDA

View Full Version : The N/W dream team (2live, Winston, Gibbo)

clean16v
06-06-2005, 15:23
Right, i'm going for a brand spanker Willy box from Matt. Now for fitting i have a few options;-
Get it put on a low loader to Warrington for £50, and have them charge me £150 for fitting.
Attempt to fit it at my mates house on my own, prob more hassle then its worth.
Or unhook the driveshaft, get it towed up to 2Lives and share the £200 it would have cost me between the dream team. But that means towing it up there-ballache, and finding the time to fit it!
Suggestions?

KingStromba
06-06-2005, 15:25
Get 2live to fit it and gunner to help.

WeZ01y
06-06-2005, 15:30
I did mine myself as long as you have the tools yourself its really not that hard. Like i said its just having the right tools. You really only need two people when your pushing the box back onto its locating lugs. You will have someone pushing the box back on and the other turning the flywheel to make the output shaft fit into the box.

clean16v
06-06-2005, 16:46
You did yours yourself? I thought Warrington did it? What tools do you need exactly?

2 live
06-06-2005, 17:58
tbh u dont really need 2 ppl to put it back in.....just hang there over the wing with the box in ur arms, and wiggle it til it goes on hehe

gets a bit fukkin heavy after a while tho

VIPERONE
06-06-2005, 18:36
well im off weds thurs fri

richy
06-06-2005, 19:44
I did mine myself as long as you have the tools yourself its really not that hard. Like i said its just having the right tools. You really only need two people when your pushing the box back onto its locating lugs. You will have someone pushing the box back on and the other turning the flywheel to make the output shaft fit into the box.

since when u needed 2 ppl! just fitted mine on me tod on drive!!!! lol

FATBOY
06-06-2005, 19:52
from what gunner told me at FCS he is the most experienced mechanic on here! :wink: certificates coming out of his ass! lol rather you than me doin a DIY job mate! i couldnt trust myself to try it! i can just see all them spare nuts and bolts lying there after ive ****ed about with it!

Kelly
06-06-2005, 21:01
2live did mine, mint job :)

GazTwo
06-06-2005, 21:01
from what gunner told me at FCS he is the most experienced mechanic on here! :wink: certificates coming out of his ass! lol rather you than me doin a DIY job mate! i couldnt trust myself to try it! i can just see all them spare nuts and bolts lying there after ive ****ed about with it!

lol...spare nuts and bolts mean u've done it right.... :D ....and made it lighter.... :P

Winston
06-06-2005, 21:10
^lol^

VIPERONE
06-06-2005, 21:15
err.. i have no certificates, however i have to be honest.. a year ago, i was afraid to change brake pads.. ive met alot of you in here, and you are all switch on lads... all it takes is to to be not afraid, and you learn loads. I had to learn what to do because i cant afford to pay labour fees..

Anybody on here should be able to try things on there car, with the confidence ,knowing that ppl on here are always on standy by to help.

PPL like Stan are very adept and bustling with motor qualifications
PPL like 2live are very adept due to a passion for motorsport and a experiance from an early age of tampering ....

then you have got the likes of me and winston, who are self taught through lack of money, trial and error and determination.
It is difficult to brake something while you are repairing. 90% of the time things break because of rust and seizures.

The only qualifications i have are ones of no use in civilian street, unless u become a private eye, or.. lol a vigilante. :-D

KingStromba
06-06-2005, 21:19
I can do an exhaust now :)

Going to be doing my own springs too.

VIPERONE
06-06-2005, 21:21
you will need spring compressors... if you need i'll send you them to borrow

KingStromba
06-06-2005, 21:27
Cheers.

FATBOY
06-06-2005, 21:50
yeah i remember you telling me that as well gunner! about bloody labour costs! fair play dude! as they say, you can learn something new every day!

WeZ01y
06-06-2005, 23:39
Warrington did the clutch change for me. i didnt want to tackle it but like gunner said, after the bearing went in the gearbox i was going to take it back to them but went to mate instead who has all the tools. He took it out and we stripped it down. But then after the diff problems afterwards after putting it back in, and 1st gear welding itself to the main shaft! my mate went on holiday and my car was on ramps so got a new box from reno courtesy of j3ned and put it in myself. After working with this mate i know how the gearbox innards work now and had a learning curve like a verticle line!
It just takes the right tools and a learning curve!

northy
07-06-2005, 10:41
and the haynes manual. :wink:

Kelly
08-06-2005, 15:51
Medhi - i wish you all the luck in the world with the person you chose to fit this gear box - god help you all :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Swervin_Mervin
08-06-2005, 15:55
DIY rocks.http://www.dervhead.com/xmb/images/smilies/nutkick.gif

clean16v
08-06-2005, 19:54
:cry: er.........................www.stumped.co.uk

J o n
08-06-2005, 19:57
:(

what's the latest dood???

clean16v
08-06-2005, 20:11
well-the whole of today, we have taken the driveshafts out (do they even need taking out?) taken speedo cable out, earthing points, loosen the subframe, unbolted the gearbox...........and nothing else. i'm so ****ed off at this situation that i just wish i hadn't bothered now. The old 'box needs to go back to reno by next week otherwise i get billed, i have to go away for the weekend and there is no way this box is getting done by then. I'm pissed to ****.

richy
08-06-2005, 20:25
whip subframe off mate, then whip box out , took me 2 hour to remove it all on my drive! it took me a little longer to get it back on, but its pretty much done and iver also changed alot more things! :)

clean16v
08-06-2005, 20:33
subframe fully off then? support engine with a jack and take the 'box off then? all help appreciated!

richy
08-06-2005, 20:41
yeah i took subframe off completly, then as u say bit of wood on jack to support engine and take box off, alot easyier imho

btw i took the hubs(with discs etc) off with subframe just hang the calipers off the springs, also took steering rack off with subframe in one go, just remove pinch bolt(13mm) and the pas pipes to the rack, and whatever wires etc u got in the way, make sure u undo the selecter by the 13mm nut which is covered up by the rubber cap/cover , and undo the zorst down pipe from manifold n cat/decat the radiator sits on the subframe so a couple of tie wraps will support that up onto front panel then remove main 4 bolts off subframe, 2x 16mm at front and 2x 18mm at back, can use either trolley jacks or 2 ppl to guide it off, and over the hanging selector rod

i know it may sound alot but it isnt in reallity :)

once thats off support engine and remove box easy as

clean16v
08-06-2005, 20:57
hmm, that sounds pretty simple. are there any sneaky bolts that hold the gearbox on? got them all off underneath and round the front/top, any by the manifold?
cheers for the help dude

richy
08-06-2005, 21:01
right iirc theres 3 16mm bolts at the top, were TDC sensor fits, u need to remove the 3 bolts that hold starter motor on to, should be 1 nut under the starter motor then 5 nuts going all the way from side to side on the bottom of the box, plus your usual g/box mount bolts n earths etc

the box sits on 3 dowls iirc to (thats if there still on lol)

but thats it , btw i also recomend u fit a R19 g/box mount, it will fit straight on and add extra support to the box as it bolts to subframe(pre drilled hole for it on s/frame)

:)

Kelly
09-06-2005, 10:24
I hope it's alright Mehdi :)

2 live
09-06-2005, 10:29
best off gettin a hoist to hold the engine up mate, and using the trolley jack on the subframe. no need to drop it off completely, jest on the n/s and the o/s drop it down as far as u can

2 live
09-06-2005, 10:37
give us a bell if u get stuck

clean16v
09-06-2005, 10:47
Right, the gap has been made to remove the 'box, and teh box is apart from the engine. Got Gibo and Winston coming over today to hopefully finish it ioff. Big thanks to all who have helped, specially 2Live and Winston, i was ready to murder someone last night!

2 live
09-06-2005, 10:49
wheres it at mate??

wot time gibbo goin over??

J o n
09-06-2005, 10:59
well hope it goes well today mate, you deserve so better luck. giz a bell later let me know how your getting on. i'm in work til 5 so will give you a bell and if your still at Glenn's i'll pop over for a bit.

KingStromba
09-06-2005, 10:59
Good luck guys. Bet gibbo goes in shades :D

Winston
09-06-2005, 11:02
Im going to pick gibbo's at 11ish, changing my plugs and going to cleans

lol@stromba

2 live
09-06-2005, 11:09
have the daughter til 1pm wen she goes to school.

id pop over otherwise

northy
09-06-2005, 11:22
i expect pictures guys

VIPERONE
09-06-2005, 11:43
its will be sorted today.

BenR
09-06-2005, 23:26
is it done guys?

all went good i hope. :D

VIPERONE
10-06-2005, 04:31
yes.... ben, the gearbox works , howevr the starter solenoid is gone.. or something starter related.... we bumped it.. and it worked no problem.. the throtle bodies are amusing in the dark...flashing etc...

im sure winston will explain about the wonder mechanic that had been employed previously.

a few events occured during the day...

Winston
10-06-2005, 04:40
****ing clios :roll:

VIPERONE
10-06-2005, 04:45
http://www.hamiltonloomis.com/images/trevor.jpg

;-)

northy
10-06-2005, 07:56
do tell...and wheres my pictures lads !

J o n
10-06-2005, 09:30
so is Mehdi heading to Reading in it today then?

what time were the guys there til and did the neighbours get woken up? :lol:

Kelly
10-06-2005, 09:32
im sure winston will explain about the wonder mechanic that had been employed previously.

LOL! I tried warning Mehdi but it was already too late. PM me with the gossip someone I need to know ;)

2 live
10-06-2005, 09:58
well i was still gettin phone calls at 3.30 am........hehe

u all tucked up nice in bed now lads?? lol

J o n
10-06-2005, 10:02
well i was still gettin phone calls at 3.30 am........hehe

u all tucked up nice in bed now lads?? lol

3:30am !? lol, hope your getting overtime Jon ;) hehe

2 live
10-06-2005, 10:15
lol....gunna change to a premium rate line i think lol.....how much are tech helplines per min now??

J o n
10-06-2005, 10:25
yeah, as long as I ring you up for car advice and you dont start talking dirty tho! :lol:

2 live
10-06-2005, 10:28
lol.u like it usually

J o n
10-06-2005, 10:46
:lol:

very true, i'm a sl@g at heart... lol

Kelly
10-06-2005, 11:01
realllly? :wink:

lol

northy
10-06-2005, 11:06
pair of puffs.... :wink:

2 live
10-06-2005, 11:07
wot the fuk u on about.i gave u cheap rate for the extra speedline .i dont see no speedline....full price next time u bitch lol

BenR
10-06-2005, 11:20
yes.... ben, the gearbox works , howevr the starter solenoid is gone.. or something starter related.... we bumped it.. and it worked no problem.. the throtle bodies are amusing in the dark...flashing etc...

Good Good.

I was only worried about the CAS sensor bracket being bent as it has to run a minimum of 20thou cleanrace to avoid missfires.

And yea, the trumpets 'stand off' quite nicely lol.

Ah, and do have a peek under the filter to make sure the lip of the back plate fully seats into the filters groove, its tricky due to it being tight.

Good work guys, hopefully it'll drive nice again with a new box.

Winston
10-06-2005, 13:58
Up now lol

Cowboy - Big plie of nuts and bolts no order.....quite a few missing :roll:...TBH its a story for the meets...we really did LOFGDAO!!!!!

Subframes - never again, what a slag doing it that way.....I'd rather take it out the top with a craine.....everytime.....Grrrrr subframe bolts

Time - started at 3pm finished at 4am lol ....Had a brake for food roughly 10 hour job....It's going up to 2live at weekend for the final dreamteam tweeking

Its hard doing work on other peoples pride and joy tbh......Don't mind ****ing my own car up lol......Bit more preasure, eyes watching you....But
there was no choice the car hard to be sorted

Ben - Thats one trick bit of kit 8) ....Theres less in the engine bay than mine :shock: .....lol @ the random bits of loom hanging about ...I know its still not 100% finshed :wink: just made me chuckle :)

VIPERONE
10-06-2005, 16:08
the cowboy in question was working on his own car more than mehdis. it was a joke, we arrived, as winston said there was a big pile of nuts and bolts in no particular order. He was impaitet and started taking it out on the wiring loom /engine, luckily The jesus came side tracked the wonder mechanic.
The man was irritating, and a huge hinderance to progess.
3 days work and only 2 drive shafts off is pretty shoddy...it took us a while to put the box on, .. only due to deciphering which bolts went where, then searching for bolts all over the floor etc, and being carefulwith the loom ben r had rigged in...
the famous subframe bolt cage snappign occured so thats something which will need rectifying.. reason why i replaced my ones on my car.

J o n
10-06-2005, 16:12
side tracked? nah, I just wanted a smoke actually! :lol:

VIPERONE
10-06-2005, 16:15
lol... i thought someone was having a garden fire when i saw all the smoke coming down the street.. only to see it extracting from your windows.

J o n
10-06-2005, 16:34
lol... i thought someone was having a garden fire when i saw all the smoke coming down the street.. only to see it extracting from your windows.

:oops: :roll: 8) :lol:

Winston
10-06-2005, 16:58
You only had a couple of reefs lmao!!!!!...... hardly any smoke lol

2 live
10-06-2005, 17:03
lol.the wirings fun wi bodies innit lol...usually tucked up under the batt tray.

at least its up n runnin now lol

BenR
11-06-2005, 01:56
The wirering is tricky because, ahem lol.

there is too much wire.

Good its sorted and that its all working 100%

clean16v
12-06-2005, 02:53
LMAO at the Trevor pic gibbo!
Its now up and running after the finalo member of the dream team waved his magic wand. A missing bolt on the starter has it working fine, and subframe was done in 5 mins by 2live. Been doing a lot of camparisons, York should be fun :wink:
On the way home, was just 'testing *cough* the car and hit a pot hole at wuite a high speed, and now my manifold is blowing :x but all will be sorted 2moro!
BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG BIG thanks Gibbo Winston and Jon, good to see that when someone is in need they are willing to go well out of there way to help. Would have been in a very bad positon if it was me and Trevor left on the car lol, i's still be under it now!

2 live
12-06-2005, 02:57
lol..no probs fella..some good comparisons there hehe.reckon it shud def b in the 13s

J o n
12-06-2005, 03:00
good to see, hear and finally go in it... fukking awesome is all I can say, and the barking noise it makes it amazing! :lol:

would have been a few better comparisons if i could have stopped hitting limiters and missing gears :roll: lol

had a bit of a better run against 2 live on the way back, managed to get the car in gear that time... would have prefered him with a passenger in this time tho... the ****er just pulled everytime i got to the limiter :x lol

2 live
12-06-2005, 03:03
lol.believe it or not....dint see 1 copper all way home lol

things were moving rather quickly tho

:twisted:

clean16v
12-06-2005, 03:12
roll on York!