PDA

View Full Version : New Battery or alternator?

MatrixGuy
18-11-2007, 20:45
I went to my girlfriends house last night, parked up and i was just listening to the cd player went it turned off and the interior lights started dimming. I turned the engine off and tried to re-start but no luck.

I tried again this morning and everything seems fine, althought it took longer than usual to start the engine up after turning the ignition. :roll:

you think its just a new battery or alternator?

MattyH16valver
18-11-2007, 20:53
I think the way to test if the alternators ok is to run a volt meter aross the battery while the engine is running and if this gives a reading of 12v then it's ok. Sure someone can correct me on this if i'm wrong :lol:

MAXIBOY
18-11-2007, 22:19
yeah should be over 14 volts when running

MatrixGuy
19-11-2007, 00:06
Thanks guys but i dont have a volt meter. :oops:

MAXIBOY
19-11-2007, 00:21
buy one from halfords for a tenner. cheaper than buying either of those items wrong..

northy
19-11-2007, 11:33
i would say battery how old is it ?

Purple
19-11-2007, 12:41
listening to the cd player went it turned off and the interior lights started dimming. I turned the engine off and tried to re-start but no luck.
A bit odd with the CD player and lights dimming so quickly with the engine running. I would suspect earthing issues with the car.

MatrixGuy
19-11-2007, 14:17
buy one from halfords for a tenner. cheaper than buying either of those items wrong..

Are they only £10? thought they would be a lot more than that. Thanks bud.

MatrixGuy
19-11-2007, 14:18
i would say battery how old is it ?

Not 100% sure to be honest mate, i will check tonight.

Yanoo_
19-11-2007, 18:04
I went to my girlfriends house last night, parked up and i was just listening to the cd player went it turned off and the interior lights started dimming. I turned the engine off and tried to re-start but no luck.

I tried again this morning and everything seems fine, althought it took longer than usual to start the engine up after turning the ignition. :roll:

you think its just a new battery or alternator?

First measure the voltage at the battery. If the engine isn't running the voltage should be at least 12.2V. If the voltage is 12.4 or higher your battery is fine (12.2V is tolerable). Under 12.4V the battery begins to sulphate and it will damage this one and finally it will die. If the engine is running the voltage should be between 13.5-14.4V (it depends on RPM and loading). If the voltage is higher than 14.4 your voltage regulator /voltage limiter (how is it in English?) is wrong and this one will damage the battery (and may cause other problems). If the charger voltage is too low the fuel consuption is higher (I suppose the ECU can't compensate properly the voltage changing). A bad battery has significant effect onto the whole electric system...
Try an other battery... if you have other vehicle in the family it's not matter. Or an electric operator (sorry, I don't know the proper name) can test your battery with a battery tester. A good advice: don't buy new battery until you are not sure about your alternator/electric system is fine.

(I bought an Exide Leader battery 2 years ago. I've driven about 10000 km since then... and my battery begins to die... My electric system is fine. I don't have fortune.)

MatrixGuy
19-11-2007, 20:00
Thanks for the reply bud :)

going to check the battery asap.

Scougar
20-11-2007, 10:23
There should be a small wire coming from the alternator (I forget the name and what it is used for), but if that's if broken the symptoms you have described will occur. Give it a little (Not 'too' hard) tug and see if that's ok, and have a look for corrosion.

Matthew

MatrixGuy
20-11-2007, 19:59
Well, unfortunately i broke down today in rush hour traffic, great!!! lol.

Some guy helped me to get the Willy on the pavement, thank god.

I rang AA and they said it was the alternator.

For some odd reason the battery light didnt come on though?

Daz.
20-11-2007, 20:35
Typical AA bullshit quick look answer

Only reason i'm with the RAC is to get home incase anything happened

MatrixGuy
20-11-2007, 20:52
They fitted a nerw temporary battery and followed me home, then took it off me, lol.

He seemed a nice guy and he seemed to know what he was talking about, but who knows? lol.

BRUN
21-11-2007, 19:22
buy a multimeter mate, everyone should have one