PDA

View Full Version : broken studs in the bonnet??

valver-stu
14-11-2007, 23:12
hi there lads.new to the site.got myself a valver project a few weeks back.jusyt getting it ready for the road at the minute.

went to take the bonnet of the other night to find two broken studs already.you can guess that the other two also snapped flush as soon as i touched them!!.

any way im sure someone has had this problem already?.tried searchin but couldnt find anything.

i was thinkin about cutting the section where the studs are out and welding bolts to the back of it.then rewelding the "plate" back onto the bonnet?

any help would be mint lads.

stu

MAXIBOY
14-11-2007, 23:16
never had this but what you suggest sounds good unless there removeable but not sure.

someone else might be more helpful soon.. 8)

valver-stu
14-11-2007, 23:19
never had this but what you suggest sounds good unless there removeable but not sure.

someone else might be more helpful soon.. 8)

dont think you can remove them..all four are snapped flush.looks like there studs that are welded to the bonnet frame from the factory before the outer skin is spot welded on.ill try drill them out see what happens...there knackered anyway cant get anyworse.

Coops
14-11-2007, 23:52
if its a popular colour mate a new second hand bonnet can be had for not too much, less faffin then

northy
15-11-2007, 08:52
drill them out, tap the thread, fit a stud and lock down. As good as new.

valver-stu
15-11-2007, 19:06
drill them out, tap the thread, fit a stud and lock down. As good as new.

aye i had that thought the day actually.ill give it a bash the nite.

cheers lads

valver-stu
15-11-2007, 19:07
if its a popular colour mate a new second hand bonnet can be had for not too much, less faffin then

im a faffer lol!!

Wobba
15-11-2007, 22:57

im a faffer lol!!

If you have a project valver...make sure to take lots of pics and show us the finished item on the projects section. We luv a good read while at work!

valver-stu
16-11-2007, 19:11

im a faffer lol!!

If you have a project valver...make sure to take lots of pics and show us the finished item on the projects section. We luv a good read while at work!

aye lol..ive taking a few photos on my phone like.ill take some more along the way.its been in a barn fo a year!!..hay and birdsh**e is all im sayin.

Allan
26-11-2007, 17:23
or take it somewhere with a stud welder, and they can put new ones on for you.

My old valver has 2 missing one each side, never bothered fixing it though :D