PDA

View Full Version : help

phatclio16v
13-11-2007, 16:11
i was wondering if anybody can help me, i have a knocking noise coming from my gearbox i can select any gear and it drives just like it always has but i cant seem to get a proper idea of whats wrong. people have said its the gearbox while others have said its drive shafts.i was wondering if anybody can help me its on a williams 1

Lunner
13-11-2007, 16:16
I'd look at gearbox mounts first.

rev the engine whilst looking to see what its knocking on

cliolord
13-11-2007, 20:38
when does this knocking noise happen, under load, on the spot, turning right/left etc...its hard to narrow something down otherwise

phatclio16v
14-11-2007, 11:22
well its got alot worse now as before it only happened in first gear but now on tick over there is an awful noise that only goes away when you depress the clutch so could it be the thrust bearing or input shaft.im really struggling with it as every garage i goto tell me its something different.

2 live
14-11-2007, 11:28
release bearing

phatclio16v
14-11-2007, 13:17
here is the story i had a knocking noise on my car but it was only in first gear and when in neutral i checked all the usual things bearings.ball joints and cv which all seemed fine but over the wkend i left it at my mates garage and its now got alot worse and it only goes away when you depress the clutch, i can select and engage gear but it is a bit crunchy to get in any help and advice would help so that i know what i have to fix.

cliolord
14-11-2007, 20:03
Release bearing (unlikely but could also be clutch pressure plate). If you leave it, the clutch release bearing could fail completely and destroy the pressure plate which can result in a hole being punched through the gearbox mate