PDA

View Full Version : Looking for car + comments on a possible car please.

Wobba
10-11-2007, 13:52
As a few of you know, I am looking for a cheap project car, that isn't a billion miles away in Scotland or Wales, to bring over to my place and start working on.

Now, problem is there are very very few Willies/Valvers near me which I consider honest cars, and because my garage has been converted to a bathroom, I have only the road to park on and so tax is a must-have, and an immediate priority.

HERE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/RENAULT-CLIO-1-8-16V-BLACK_W0QQitemZ290178865259QQihZ019QQcategoryZ9861 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) is a vehicle that is in my area, and it has a few goodies on it and the bloke is open to offers, and I quite like black too (prefer a blue one though). Can you guys spot anything totally obvious that I have missed? Bear in mind, eventually I would strip interior and remove most stereo hardware...also I did a check on the car and it has FOURTEEN previous owners. Matey says it has been a mini project between a group of friends in the past...however, this rings a few bells in my head.

Anyone know of any other cars in my area? Hampshire?

I am keen to get to work with my wrench and spanner, but finding a car nearby and not too much of a wreck is really hard :(

arj256
10-11-2007, 14:29
Now, problem is there are very very few Willies/Valvers near me which I consider honest cars, and because my garage has been converted to a bathroom, I have only the road to park on and so tax is a must-have, and an immediate priority.

Have you thought about getting a council garage?

Looking at the ad, Im not a fan of adverts with different colours etc, puts me off.
Personally id prefer a standard one, for a clean sheet to start with.
That one being lowered with 17's probably means nicely worn suspension components..
Don't mention alot on whats been serviced and replaced, least its had the gearbox done though.
Alot of owners though so could of been neglected possibly.

Wobba
10-11-2007, 14:54

Have you thought about getting a council garage?

Looking at the ad, Im not a fan of adverts with different colours etc, puts me off.
Personally id prefer a standard one, for a clean sheet to start with.
That one being lowered with 17's probably means nicely worn suspension components..
Don't mention alot on whats been serviced and replaced, least its had the gearbox done though.
Alot of owners though so could of been neglected possibly.

That's what I am thinking. Possibly neglected. The cambelt has been done recently which is good. I am also thinking the big wheels and suspension may have strained the parts on the car, as you mention. Ideally I would be looking to replace all that anyway, and ditch the alloys for more a sensible size, fit all new bushes and set the ride height to what I want (kinda same height as yours on 15's)

This would just be something I'd tootle about in and get my hands dirty with, learn a bit before I get my money through to buy your car Arj :P

I am waiting to hear back from another seller all the way over in Gloucester at the mo though. We shall see.

Lunner
10-11-2007, 14:55
one thing to check with the 17's depending on how much the car is lowered they can rub on the fuel filler pipe

Wobba
10-11-2007, 15:01
one thing to check with the 17's depending on how much the car is lowered they can rub on the fuel filler pipe

They can? Drivers side right? Any easy way to check it? Can you just see it under the arch?

It does not look very lowered to me. I'll check it out though.

Lunner
10-11-2007, 15:17
shoudl be able to see it i'd have thought, might be easier to jack it up, also rub on the rear bumper bracket, usually cut back to stop them rubbing, an area to check for rust?, also check all the sills and points where the subframe bolts on for rust

arj256
10-11-2007, 16:11
That's what I am thinking. Possibly neglected. The cambelt has been done recently which is good. I am also thinking the big wheels and suspension may have strained the parts on the car, as you mention. Ideally I would be looking to replace all that anyway, and ditch the alloys for more a sensible size, fit all new bushes and set the ride height to what I want (kinda same height as yours on 15's)

This would just be something I'd tootle about in and get my hands dirty with, learn a bit before I get my money through to buy your car Arj :P

I am waiting to hear back from another seller all the way over in Gloucester at the mo though. We shall see.

Shes not for sale no more :wink:

Its had the main items done then with gearbox and cambelt.
Its nice to think i will change all the bushes etc, but before you know it, you have spent aload of pennys.
Also with the 17's wheel bearings will wear alot quicker.
Cool. My old valver is still for sale i see :wink:

Wobba
10-11-2007, 16:13
Your old valver? Where?