PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me..

1995clio16v
09-11-2007, 22:17
Or are clio's, as in our types, 16v's and williams just v poor at road holding when its wet?

Is it something to do with the weight of the things?

I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever when its wet, especially when the roads have that coat of wetness like ice. I just wont push it at all.

Does anyone else feel the same?

I was in my brother in laws golf gt tdi 57 plate this afternoon and he was going round corners like it was dry, the road holding was fantastic. I kept thinking theres no way id go round corners this quick in my car. I kept thinking its going to go in a second but no sign at all.

In the dry on the other hand the clio wins hands down against most things. Ill race anything round bends/twisty roads in the dry.

Oh and btw. That golf gt tdi has some SERIOUS LOW DOWN GRUNT!! Not that quick off the mark (ok) but rolling low down pull, ****ING UNREAL!!

The 16v passed its MOT today, straight through not one thing needed doing, well chuffed. £51 :D Needs a couple of things doing externally but the engine is real strong, real strong, its got FSH. I feel if you look after these engines they really do go on and on. Oh and it passed with the cat replacement pipe too! :wink: :D

:D

northy
09-11-2007, 22:21
what tyres do u have on. mine is great in the wet

Wobba
09-11-2007, 22:26
Or are clio's, as in our types, 16v's and williams just v poor at road holding when its wet?

I get like this after a while of driving a car and having had a few 'moments' in the wet and dry. Its probably just yer confidence getting dented. And good tyres help.

1995clio16v
09-11-2007, 22:44
takishina's all round.

They were a bargain, only £18 a corner.....

drsmith1979
09-11-2007, 22:45
haha well i think that right there is the reason, good price tho!

1995clio16v
09-11-2007, 22:51
Haha !! Was only messing. :o Was trying to bring a bit of humour to my very boring friday night!!

Erm...eagle f1's gsd on the front, proxes on the rear, yet to wear.

HSeriously though i just dont like going hard round corners. Im no michael schimacher at driving and dont think im the best driver at all but i have a lot of bottle in the dry. The car gives awesome confidence, it really does. Ive had it with so many people coming into bends and they let off, i dont! :o

45 profile, would that be an issue? :?

drsmith1979
09-11-2007, 23:03
i run 45's and they grip great, maybe a bit harsh depending on if yours is lowered? mines lowered 30-40 mm i think and it handles great, but didnt feel right in the wet, turned out to be the tracking. I dont think Proxes are any good in the wet, didnt like them on my Evo

wavy
09-11-2007, 23:26
i do feel a bit twitchy in the wet if braking hard
but iv owned beetles n older cars so im used to non assisted brakes
but it does feel very light at points haha
it all makes for an exciting drive :)
cant wait for winter :)

wavy
09-11-2007, 23:29
btw i have 18x55 and love em anytime :)

Purple
10-11-2007, 00:36
Erm...eagle f1's gsd on the front, proxes on the rear, yet to wear.Think there might be too much grip in the front, with the F1s, when it's very wet. Should make the car too oversteery. If that's what it feels like, you should get F1s all round. Also, if it's the older F1 GSD2 you are using, they only come good in very wet roads, but slide like a wet pig on damp roads.

FATBOY
10-11-2007, 01:26
but are you saying you thrash your car in the wet????? why???? road conditions change so much in the wet tho. thus making the road a more dangerous thing than it would be in the dry! i always make sure i slow down in the wet be it in my works van or car.

white16valver
10-11-2007, 02:33
I find I can drive like it's dry when it's tipping it down, but that's down to GSD2s ;) 8)

There's been a couple of people on here recently who have said about dodgy handling - I was just wondering how many people on here have done advanced driving training? It may not *feel* as fast when you do but then that's not the point, it's all about the safety thing. Hence I tend to find I'm doing more slow in-fast out cornering now :)

I do think tyres and tracking have a definite effect though - get both sorted and you should be fine! 8)

Lunner
10-11-2007, 11:22
Don't forget the weighting of the car comes in alot more in the wet....if its stripped out and at std height for example, the arse end will let go alot easier as its sat higher up

1995clio16v
10-11-2007, 12:34
but are you saying you thrash your car in the wet????? why???? road conditions change so much in the wet tho. thus making the road a more dangerous thing than it would be in the dry! i always make sure i slow down in the wet be it in my works van or car.

Not at all northy.

I just drive v sensible when its wet. Can turn bad when its wet. Its just when ive fancied pushing the car i dont feel confident. I think i need to go on a strip where is clear and wet and just see what the cars limits are. I dont really race the car, definately not in the rain, it was just an observation about it when its raining! Either way i still wont go daft when its wet.

I have GSD3's on the front btw.

1995clio16v
10-11-2007, 12:36

Not at all northy.

I just drive v sensible when its wet. Can turn bad when its wet. Its just when ive fancied pushing the car i dont feel confident. I think i need to go on a strip where is clear and wet and just see what the cars limits are. I dont really race the car, definately not in the rain, it was just an observation about it when its raining! Either way i still wont go daft when its wet.

I have GSD3's on the front btw.

Whoops, sorry fatboy, meant you!!

TriO`
10-11-2007, 12:51
is your car stripped??

I found exactly the same problem when mine old valver was stripped...

would always be allver the place in the wet.. even when going pretty slow :?

number1
10-11-2007, 17:02
i got toyo t1s's on mine, and they are awesome in the wet, have amazing wet weather grip provided you know that it still is slippery, but everytime i drive it in the rain i amaze myself on how well it grips, quite good in the dry too!

Can fly around roundabouts in the wet faster than anything else ive experienced!!

Dancliovalver
10-11-2007, 17:06
when i had my proxis on, i found my car just as much fun in the wet as what it was in the dry :lol:

BRUN
10-11-2007, 20:45
takishina's all round.

They were a bargain, only £18 a corner.....

LOL wtf, thats why

put some Michelin Pilot Exalto II's on and then tell me its crap in the wet

BRUN
10-11-2007, 20:49
oops, too quick to reply hehe

put the same tyre all around the car, one tyre wont behave the same as another brand

45's are the wrong profile by the way, your speedo will be wrong as a result and you will feel more bumps in the road, and the car wont be as grippy as any bump is likely to unsettle it easier than if it had 195/50 on or 185/55

1995clio16v
11-11-2007, 01:14
oops, too quick to reply hehe

put the same tyre all around the car, one tyre wont behave the same as another brand

45's are the wrong profile by the way, your speedo will be wrong as a result and you will feel more bumps in the road, and the car wont be as grippy as any bump is likely to unsettle it easier than if it had 195/50 on or 185/55

195/45/15 im running brun allround.

Yes they are bumpy, ****ing horrendous, they really are. Every bump in the road is felt. Cant say ive noticed the speedo out as theyre still 15" so they still cover the same ground in the same time. Unless the circumference of the wheel is different the wheel will still tak the same time too turn!! :o

Bit the grip makes up for the bumpiness.

I advise you to try 195/45 brun.

You are wrong mate saying the car wont be as grippy.

The grip is immense matey when its dry. More grip than factory size, the car just demands more and more grip.

I put my 185/55's on a month ago when i went to have my gsd'3 put on and they grip no where near the same.

Having tried bot sizes and im sure most on here havent (maybe im wrong :? ) the grip is like chalk and cheese imo. Im definately not changing the size.

I like the traction!! :o

stevie_b
11-11-2007, 08:27
they still cover the same ground in the same time. Unless the circumference of the wheel is different the wheel will still tak the same time too turn!! :o

Yes, they are a different circumference. 1836mm as standard and yours are 1748mm - about 5% different.

BRUN
11-11-2007, 11:10
what i meant was, because your sidewall is thinner, your going to be affected more by bumps unsettling the car, on a smooth surface im sure they are just as grippy, and a 185 isnt as wide a tyre so id expect the grip to be different

your speedo IS wrong, you have the wrong size tyre on the car, the wheel is the same size but the tyre isnt

a 185/55/15 which is the original size is a very very close match to a 195/50/15

BRUN
11-11-2007, 11:13
I advise you to try 195/45 brun.

i have done, its shocking, lol, 195/50/15 is what ill be sticking to

BRUN
11-11-2007, 11:19
with a 195/45/15 instead of the stock 185/55/15:

When your speedo reads 60mph you will actually be doing 57.1mph
When your speedo reads 30mph you will actually be doing 28.6mph