PDA

View Full Version : Moving cars with no tax/MOT

Wobba
09-11-2007, 21:55
I am currently looking for a cheapo project Clio valver, but the problem I have is that there are simply none near me that are are honest cars.

I have sourced a couple of clio's, all need work but seem okay. Trouble is they are miles away, and they never have MOT or Tax. I dont have the time nor money to leave em at a garage near the seller and let them get all the potential MOT failures sorted, and anyway, I'd rather do the work myself.

I know you can drive a vehicle to a pre booked MOT testing station to get that sorted, but driving 70-90 miles...surely thats taking the piss a bit lol.

Other options please? I am thinking of buying one in London at the moment and seller says the rear brake discs/pads need sorting (and I expect pistons to be un-seized too).

Anyone know a good transporter?

Cheers!

northy
09-11-2007, 22:17
as long as the mot is booked u can drive it there but normally its too your nearest garage....im sure exceptions can be made.

there are other ways of getting cars home....:winkey:

Wobba
09-11-2007, 22:20
there are other ways of getting cars home....:winkey:

In pieces does not count, and I dont think RAC will tow me without Tax/MOT hehe! Unless tehre are other secret methods!?

MatBrown
09-11-2007, 23:39
I have a trailer and can move a car for a price.

Mat.

wavy
09-11-2007, 23:40
have you got a printer haha

:D

FATBOY
10-11-2007, 01:22
if youve got no trailer then you can always run the risk? ive done it a few times and was very lucky (was a 60 mile journey) but if you do run the risk always have a mate in a car following??? or in front? anyways if a copper gets your plate for a PNC check your ****ed!!!

Wobba
10-11-2007, 11:03
Yea :(

I would make sure I had an MOT booked, no matter how far away, and obviously transfer my insurance to the car too...but I've had some nightmares like this with cars before and I can't bear the thought of it all going horribly wrong :(

I used to get the cars I imported trailered to garages, from Holyhead in Wales to Winchester area. Cost wasn't that bad tbh.

thanks Mat I'll pm you.

Lunner
10-11-2007, 11:19
i'd give the RAC a go, done it before when i brought a car with a ****ed gearbox, they ain't gonna know if its not insured etc, if they are eagle eyed they might pic up the lack of tax....but that can always be blagged.....most of the tow truck guys will be subbies for a long tow and they don't give a **** either way as long as they get paid lol.....even managed to bribe an AA low loader driver, dropped me in leeds and then persuaded him to take me to manchester for £20....just make sure tehre is something wrong with it that can't be fixed by the side of the road

Wobba
10-11-2007, 14:03
Yea, hehe thats an option for sure! I am just waiting on Mr Brown to see if he can move a car for me.

I dont think my type of RAC does full on tow-home cover...10 miles max :(

northy
10-11-2007, 19:55
what colour is the car

Wobba
10-11-2007, 20:00
what colour is the car
BLUE!

And the one near me is black...

Wobba
10-11-2007, 20:02
Are you thinking about the chance of being a victim of the popular Police game: 'Car Snooker'?

Dan_mk1
13-11-2007, 02:13
Just drive it home! if its not driveable ring the RAC...whats the deal? The police will leave you alone 9 times out of 10.

Wobba
13-11-2007, 09:51
Just drive it home! if its not driveable ring the RAC...whats the deal? The police will leave you alone 9 times out of 10.

You're probably right, but I have a knack of being that 1 in 10.

u33db
13-11-2007, 11:37
Find someone with an identically coloured 16v and borrow their plates/tax disc so you can drive it home with less risk.

AndyFielder
13-11-2007, 12:35
if you tow it its insured under whatever car is towing and MOT etc dont apply as far as i know!

AndyFielder
13-11-2007, 12:36
if its drivable tow it with a bit on bunjee cord... with an on tow sticker but use its engine! ;)

mike16valver
13-11-2007, 12:38
Find someone with an identically coloured 16v and borrow their plates/tax disc so you can drive it home with less risk.

:shock:

Ohhhh Chancy :?

get caught then.... well i wouldn't like to know really what they wud do. after all they do as the please and how they feel.

Dan_mk1
13-11-2007, 12:39

You're probably right, but I have a knack of being that 1 in 10.

Even if you do get pulled you should be ok as long as you explain to them whats happened, ive been pulled over loads of times on the way back from buying a car (untaxed + MOT'd) and they have always been fine, never even got a producer...

stan
13-11-2007, 12:42
RAC check for tax....

Ive done this several times over the last 2 years, and the last time they refused because the car wasnt taxed!

Pitty they didnt notice it was lacking an inlet cam when he was checking to make sure I wasnt lieing about the "cambelt snapping" :lol: :lol:

2 live
13-11-2007, 12:42
aa/rac gets my vote. last time i used em for summat like this, the car had no front end, wings/bonnet etc all gone, wheels had gone, ended up taking a pair o wings n a bonnet down, most of the wiring loom was missing under the bonnet, as were the rocker cover etc, there was no zorst on it, so tied a backbox on with wire to make it look like there was lol...went with andy, how the hell we managed to blag that itd just thrown a rod is beyond me lol.

was in leicester somewhere iirc...bout 150 miles lol. guy said i was lucky he was just startin his shift or he wouldnt have done it...so slipped him a tenner wen we got back.lol