PDA

View Full Version : RX-7 vs CBR 600

Jan
05-06-2005, 21:47
Driving through 2 fast sweeping corners leading to a decent straight the rex absolutely murdered the bike 8) The rider is not very experienced, but the rex is seriously fast!

Car 1 - Bike 0

Jamie.
05-06-2005, 23:01
i love rx7's eriously quick motors, would really like one but somehow feel that it would be more expensive to maintain than the willy (is that possible?)
however someone told me that rx7's need an engine rebuild every 60k? is that just bollox!?

lagerlout1
05-06-2005, 23:26
I think it's around that mark. The guy that cuts my hair has just sold his. He said there's loads for sale all with about the same mileage on - just before it's due for the full engine rebuild. Very fast cars.

Martin
05-06-2005, 23:27
You must have a very expensive hairdresser they are usually restricted to mx-5s lol!

edde
05-06-2005, 23:39
My mate at works got an RX-7 and his is on something like 70k and doesn't need a rebuilt yet. It depends how you drive it. Tunned lumps can just like a few k between rebuilds. He says its relay quick but he's had a few problems with boost leaking out of hoses. Also the biggest problem is fuel it absolulty lives at the petrol station. He said its somehting like 9mpg giving it some stick. Even when he's careful its 20mpg.
There are polaces who can do rebuilds for 2k or so I think but I think he mentioned an engine from a breakers is cheap so stick that in instead.

lagerlout1
05-06-2005, 23:43
You must have a very expensive hairdresser they are usually restricted to mx-5s lol!

lol... He sold it for 8k I think, there not that expensive. And his had been rebuilt. I'm sure he said that Mazda recommend 72,000.

WeZ01y
05-06-2005, 23:48
My mate at work has a red RX7 and its fookin quality! Hes spent just over 6k for a new engine on it... its incredibly expensive, but worth every penny when you hear the grand jap zort roaring down the road at full boost hehehe.

Jan
06-06-2005, 09:15
yea, you really need to take care of it. always fill with optimax, always properly warm up and warm down, changed the fluids every 3k, etc

but it does, 0-60 in around 5 sec, 143 mph in 4th and around 170 top end.... will keep everyone posted :wink:

this one was rebuilt by a couple of my mates a few months ago, so should be nice and strong for a good while yet

and yes, it's bloody thirsty!

KingStromba
06-06-2005, 09:27
I pulled up at some lights next to an RX-7 once. Though we were going to get mullered (was a passenger). Then i realised i was in a 380 BHP pulsar :shock:

That was a fun few seconds.

Mooseman
05-07-2005, 12:32
i love rx7's eriously quick motors, would really like one but somehow feel that it would be more expensive to maintain than the willy (is that possible?)
however someone told me that rx7's need an engine rebuild every 60k? is that just bollox!?

touch wood so far the rex has been plain sailing aside from the petrol issues obivously, and I use the rex as a daily driver. 0062 did cause me significant financial trouble to be honest, but this may not be normal. the best thing about the rex is that its not as complex as the clio (wankel engine etc) and you can easily get in there and do stuff yourself. am just coming up to the second service which i'll do myself, and I have sorted out a few boost probs just from reading up and being attentive. there is the engine rebuild, but should only be necessary every 60-75k depending on mods and driving style. all in all, very quick, very good looking and worth every penny to move from the willy to the rex :D

Jabba the...
05-07-2005, 12:55
luvely cars, wankels can go thru oil faster than most cars do petrol!

northy
05-07-2005, 12:58
my mate fletch has a rx....quickest car ive ever been in.

and when it fish tails from traffic lights - class. looks amazing when folloing from behind.

Mark_Ritchspeed
05-07-2005, 17:01
With regular maintanance and good quality oils and fuel used, plenty of RX7's last well over 100k miles on their original engines.

Unless the engine sustains heavy damage, then rebuilds normally come in under £2k. Unless the engine is heavily uprated then a £6k rebuild is just a joke IMO.

Our old 300bhp RX7 was quite a bit quicker off the line than the 400bhp Supra we currently have as well. Only weigh around 1250kgs which is pretty light for that type of car and the tail wags like **** in the wet.

Jan
05-07-2005, 17:22
This car should be out at the pod on the 16th 8)

Mooseman
06-07-2005, 13:14
This car should be out at the pod on the 16th 8)

Well its only coming if I can drive it properly :twisted:

Have booked it in for a power run this weekend to hopefully sort out minor boost problems, so we'll see ... :?