PDA

View Full Version : costing

tobi_rsi
07-11-2007, 13:15
im looking at a white 16v, its immauclate inside and out, it needs a new gearbox, and also a sump gasket, may aswell replace the clutch aswell while the box is off, does anyone have a rough idea of the labour costs for this?? i can get a box for 60, clutch for about a hundred quid, and the gasket for whatever, not alot, but what would be the estimate for labour on all this??

cheers in advance

tobi

MAXIBOY
07-11-2007, 13:21
hi mate.

gearbox for 60 is ok. clutch for 60 from gsf. theres no gasket on valvers sump just gasket sealent.

labour. depends where you are. i think gearbox and clutch can be done foe 250/300 by stan at apd. might be more where you are.

tobi_rsi
07-11-2007, 16:16
so what would need to be done to repair a leaking sump?? is it a big job, a mechanic friend of mine reckon pretty much the whole front end needs dropping out to get the sump off and fix this problem?

BristolSam16v
07-11-2007, 16:45
Subframe needs to come off to undo the sump might as well do it at the same time as the box as you need to undo the subframe to get the box out the bottom/side.

tobi_rsi
07-11-2007, 17:00
is this pretty labour intensive?? is it easier to just remove the lump, fix it while its out, then put the lump back in?? also what is the gasket sealent, is it difficult to repair this problem, how is it done?

Lunner
07-11-2007, 20:11
I'd strip the lump out, can then do cambelt, water pump as well as box, clutch and re seal the sump.

Sump is fairly easy in the car, subframe comes down and box gets dropped out underneath, just have to completely remove the subframe to do the sump, just need to support engine with hoist or something as you usually support it on the sump when you remove the box with a trolly jack

kj16v
08-11-2007, 11:40
You CAN get the sump off with relative ease with out removing the engine - I've done it. But since you've just bought it, it makes sense to do what Lunner said.