PDA

View Full Version : cars fixed

bill.
06-11-2007, 15:48
From french car show :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: , Bloody gearbox went on it, and the garage where i took it has finally fixed it :D , just needs an mot now :cry: :cry:

went down to see it the other day, to give it a good clean up so i can put it up for sale, and guess what, i want to keep it now! after selling off all my clio go faster bits :roll:

Need more speed though!

How do these 172 engined mk1's go? someone run a 14.0 daed in one didn't they? pretty much standard? there seems to be a few people doing these conversions, sound worthwhile to me!

MAXIBOY
06-11-2007, 20:22
what did you have done to the gearbox mate. new repaired cost etc

Daz.
06-11-2007, 21:34
172 engine in a williams = 168 bhp (172 PS) in a williams with a tad lighter engine...

So call it 172bhp just for fun

Surely gaining 20 odd bhp from the F7R is a far easier and cheaper option?!?

Am I missing something here? :oops:

MAXIBOY
06-11-2007, 21:51
not as far as i,m aware.

AndyFielder
06-11-2007, 21:57
the engines and components are more expensive?

matty w
06-11-2007, 23:14
17poo engine in a williams = 168 bhp (17poo PS) in a williams with a tad lighter engine...

Am I missing something here? :oops:you can pick up a low mileage f4r for very little whereas a willy lump probably is going to need a rebuild and the f4r is strangled with aircon and emmissions etc which it wont be in a willy/valver

Jamie.
06-11-2007, 23:20
I thought you were selling for bigger and better?

The box set you back a bit?

bill.
07-11-2007, 00:49
what did you have done to the gearbox mate. new repaired cost etc

i bought a second hand box off winston and had it fitted at a local garage mate, not had the bill yet.

bill.
07-11-2007, 00:57
17poo engine in a williams = 168 bhp (17poo PS) in a williams with a tad lighter engine...

Been looking at a few ongoing projects on cliosport with dropping a 172 engine into valvers, the main reason it interests me is you can get rid of the williams soft ass gearbox, i'll presume the 172 boxes are stronger??????? 20bhp's a nice gain, and your always going to be that much infront of a williams lump from then on anyway, is jesus's throttle boddied 172 not running in the region of 240 bhp?

and if there running 14 dead standard, a tunned one should go like shit off a shovel :twisted:

Like i say its the cost of rebuilding/replacing the gearboxes that get on my tits!

I would imagine this conversion is going to become more and more popular by the day.

just a though, opinions more than welcome :)

bill.
07-11-2007, 01:03
I thought you were selling for bigger and better?

The box set you back a bit?

lol, i've been through every car manufacturer and model i can think of, and for cost of running/fun factor i dont think the williams can be beat, i think its in my blood now 8) , i've bought a 106 diesel as a run about, so figure i can have a second car as a bit of a toy, for fast road use and track, think the williams fits the bill perfectly, bar the ****ing gearbox and a few more horses would be nice.

mind you i do change my mind everyday, and watching some of the clio's on the track vids has helped :wink:

bill.
07-11-2007, 01:04
how the hell do you qoute a few peoples comments at a time :roll:

Daz.
07-11-2007, 07:29
how the hell do you qoute a few peoples comments at a time :roll:

With skill 8) :lol:

If I was hybriding I would look into the f4r route I guess but the fact you already have an f7r sat in there with a replacement gearbox methinks modding the one thats in would be better!

bill.
07-11-2007, 10:00
i'm gonna look into getting a few quotes on it, and like i say i'm listening to peoples advice/comments on the idea, and i wanna see how they go :twisted:

Daz.
07-11-2007, 17:24
well good luck fella - I'm intrigued at the very least :D

bill.
12-11-2007, 18:03
drove it for the first time today since the gearbox went, fook me, feels fast as ****, and so well planted, loved it! then again i have been driving round in a 106 diesel :roll:

arj256
12-11-2007, 18:15

Been looking at a few ongoing projects on cliosport with dropping a 17poo engine into valvers, the main reason it interests me is you can get rid of the williams soft ass gearbox, i'll presume the 17poo boxes are stronger??????? 20bhp's a nice gain, and your always going to be that much infront of a williams lump from then on anyway, is jesus's throttle boddied 17poo not running in the region of 240 bhp?

and if there running 14 dead standard, a tunned one should go like s**t off a shovel :twisted:

Like i say its the cost of rebuilding/replacing the gearboxes that get on my tits!

I would imagine this conversion is going to become more and more popular by the day.

just a though, opinions more than welcome :)

172 boxs are still jc5 which is what is in the Williams..
Main difference is a strengthened diff, so not likely to pop the circlip out.

What chassis spec did the 172 engined mk1 have? If it was stripped out then quite a few f7r's on here have done the same time, and they have been standard engine.

bill.
12-11-2007, 18:24
ah right, didn't realise that was the only difference with the boxes, think the car in question was stripped out, i'll take a look!

bill.
12-11-2007, 19:40
i tell a lie, just found the car in question, mk1 clio 172 engine ran 14.01 at the pod @ 100.01mph, full leather, 16 inch wheels and tools in the boot lol, its wayneclio16v's, good times considering 8)