PDA

View Full Version : is my sunroof going to just fall out?

titcharoony
03-11-2007, 15:21
I believe the seal has gone on my sunroof as I've had the morning shower when going round a corner, seems to come through the little remote control pop out plastic cover as well as the bigger surround.
I opened up the sunroof the other day, and it got stuck completely open. Managed to bodge it back with much button bashing. But now it wont open at all, and I hear the wind whistling at 70+mph. either it didnt close properly or the seal has really gone. When pressing from the top of car the sunrood seems a bit kinda loose and flimsy. Will water getting into electrics have ****ed it? whats best advice people? replace the seal and see whats what?
damn williams'

BRUN
03-11-2007, 15:55
doubt it will have buggered the electrics, mine used to leak a fair bit and ive never had a problem, mines had both new seals and it still leaks so i siliconed it shut hehe

BristolSam16v
03-11-2007, 16:16
Pretty sure water getting into that bit at the top will have buggered it tbh I seem to remember a lot of people having problems with the alarm when water has got in the same bit.

1995clio16v
03-11-2007, 16:45
I believe the seal has gone on my sunroof as I've had the morning shower when going round a corner, seems to come through the little remote control pop out plastic cover as well as the bigger surround.
I opened up the sunroof the other day, and it got stuck completely open. Managed to bodge it back with much button bashing. But now it wont open at all, and I hear the wind whistling at 70+mph. either it didnt close properly or the seal has really gone. When pressing from the top of car the sunrood seems a bit kinda loose and flimsy. Will water getting into electrics have f**ked it? whats best advice people? replace the seal and see whats what?
damn williams'

Hia mate,

This has been the thorn in my clios arse for the last 12 months! Being a slack arse i didnt bother replacing my rubber seal that goes around the sunroof so it sort of served me right really.

Heres the score:-

Have you a phase I ot phase II clio?

I have a phase 2.

As soon as the water pisses in and inevitably leaks through the eye area where the immob panel/alarm panel is ****s the immobiliser up and you cant start it up because the immob wont disarm.

I had it happen 4 times in the last 12 months, £120 everytime you have to take it to renault for them to re-code the immob/alarm to the ecu. (A load of bullshit btw as it takes them about 10 ****ing minutes!)

Finally a couple of wonderful members on here told me to **** the phase 2 ecu off and replace it with a phase 1 and your cured if it leaks. Bullshit I thought at first!

THE BEST THING I HAVE DONE TO THE CLIO.

I didnt believe that for one second but its 100% true.

It went again a couple of weeks ago so finally got round to putting the phase 1 ecu on (thinking I had another £120 trip to renault) and hey presto it started 1st time.

I now have no worries if the sunroof leaks again because my immob is now disarmed.

The only problem is I have no ****ing central locking which is a pain in the arse but im getting used to it.

I know I have waffled here and its prob only relevant if you have a phas 2 clio/phase 2 ecu.

My advice would be to put a phase 1 ecu in and save for a toad or something similar aftermarket alarm, that what im doing now, about £180 fitted. :o

If you need a new rubber seal its £77 + Vodka And Tonic from Renault! Phoned the other week! Scandalous, but im friendly a guy at another renault dealer and he took a used one off a mark one clio and did it for £30. Go to a scrappy if you need this part, any mark I clio will do.

1995clio16v
03-11-2007, 16:47
Id also check the ariel seal and the under part of the sunroof suround as i believe they are prone to leaking here as well!

Silicone it up to stop it leaking any more would be my advice!

Good luck mate!!

1995clio16v
03-11-2007, 16:48
One last question mate, think i might be able to help if you have the same problem as I had.

What do you mean when you say it got stuck open?

What happened when you tried to close it on the elec motor, did it make any noises? Providing its not manual of course!! :lol:

u33db
03-11-2007, 17:47
Sounds like its not closed properly.

REMOVE THE PLIP CIRCUIT BOARD IMMEDIATELY as it will start to corrode with the water and feck the remote central locking up.

I can't comment on phase 2 cars but the above will stop it working permanantly if its left.

titcharoony
03-11-2007, 18:35
I have a phase 2 williams 3, n reg. Ill get it sorted asap. sounds like it can really **** it up if left. I cudnt hear any noises when i tried to wind the sunroof back afer it sticking when open. But eventually the i cud hear the motor again and it seemed to wind back into place. sounds a right pain in the arse to get sorted this. First step i think is to get the curcuit board out and at least cover it up. Then ill prob replace the seal, and see whats what

u33db
03-11-2007, 19:05
I'd get some duck tape round it in the meantime in case it rains

titcharoony
03-11-2007, 19:15
ok ill do that. bloody hell, is it the curse of the clio? seems everyone has this prob at some point

Lunner
04-11-2007, 14:05
Every clio i've ever owned (4) has had a sunroof, and non of them have ever leaked 8)

titcharoony
04-11-2007, 15:02
but always hada poor mans williams eh? ;)

Daz.
04-11-2007, 17:16
The main reason I didn't even look at a Willy 3 - those luxurys are a bastard :wink:

Right now thats out of the way :lol:

Hopefully your motors not buggered but sounds like it might be - cheap enough to get a replacement..

Leave the remote locking sensor dangling and cover it with a clear bag - you can still use the car normally then and won't hurt the board..

No matter WHAT I did my valver sunroof always leaked like a good un - the only way I managed to sort it for good was to look in the yellow pages and pay a bloke to take the sunroof out completely recondition it and all the seals and pro fit it back in.

He came to my house and did it while I was at work - cost £140 all in

Daz.
04-11-2007, 17:20
ok ill do that. bloody hell, is it the curse of the clio? seems everyone has this prob at some point

Not any more :lol:

titcharoony
04-11-2007, 19:29
hardy har har. well im still happy with my sunroof, but its just a shame its hardly working. grrrr. For £140 id be happy for anyone to fix it. by the sounds of things, u can buy the seal, and attempt to do it urself, only to find u havnt done it properly, and like u say daz, its one of those thigs u just want done. Where can i get it done for £140 daz?

Daz.
04-11-2007, 19:53
Its ok when I first got the car the ariel was leaking - I was like WHAT THE HELL! :lol:

I rang a random guy in yellow pages based near me think he was from burnley but theres lots in there - obviously yours will be local to you so I can't comment on whats what!

Lunner
04-11-2007, 20:01
Mine is coming out soon, if you come and collect it you can have it for free, unleaking 8)

titcharoony
04-11-2007, 20:22
would a simple swop shop sort out my probs folks?

Daz.
04-11-2007, 21:02
Depends where its leaking from - As you've had trrouble with the motor/closing I'd try that first

Mine was the roof to sunroof seal - the actual unit was fine

Matty86
05-11-2007, 02:13
ph1 cars are great

no imobiliser and no leaky sunroof :D

titcharoony
09-11-2007, 15:45
i think ill just try and keep it plodding on for a bit longer, maskin tape up the roof, and cover up that little circuit board behind the central locking sensor. Ill contact a breakers and grab a 2nd hand sunroof and seal. shud be cheap enough

Ahmed Bayjoo
09-11-2007, 16:38
ph1 cars are great

no imobiliser and no leaky sunroof :D

agreed :wink:

titcharoony
09-11-2007, 20:02
i laughe at daz saying sunroofs are fine...but a liability. now i realise the wisdom in his words. :( oh how i want a non leaky sunroof