PDA

View Full Version : Steering problems

white16valver
02-11-2007, 18:53
why why WHY is it still not right?? :( :cry:

Got the tracking done at the weekend, which turned it from a complete unpredictable handful into less of a handful, but it's still not right :?

He did it to the settings on the computer and, having checked them against my old thread (http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11349&highlight=tracking) they are about the same (0 degrees 10 minutes toe out) but it just doesn't want to turn into the corners :? :(

I don't think it's column as there's no play in it, and both wheel bearings are new or under a few months old, I just don't know why it feels like it wants to go straight on, and when you do get it committed into the bend it doesn't stick, it feels like it's going to just understeer into the hedge because the tyres aren't biting (which they are, it just doesn't feel like it) :(

Any suggestions are more than welcome... I just want it to be spot on and feeling rock solid in the corners and under power (when it also wanders about) rather than a floaty mess that you have to keep correcting and that feels like it's trying to kill you...

Winston
02-11-2007, 19:01
I had this with Lauras valver.... turned out to be the steering rack....

Her tracking was a nightmare, 3 places wouldn't touch it so i ended up changing everything bar the steering rack and it still wasn't right!!

Steering rack changed (converted to manual) and its perfect now!!

white16valver
05-11-2007, 12:53
Noooooooooooooooo

lol

That isn't what I wanted to hear :(

More bloody money! And a bitch to change, I'm sure :?

Winston
05-11-2007, 13:23
I was swearing about having to do Lauras, and she was adamint i wasn't allowed to break it because of it lol

Didn't need to drop the subframe i pulled it out from the passenger side arch!

As i put manual steering back on it was a piece of piss to put back in with the manual rack being alot smaller!!

Not sure how much an exchange with GSF is.... i know for a manual steering rack it was only £40 but a power steering one i can imagine is alot more :(

Manual steering for the win me thinks :)

white16valver
05-11-2007, 14:29
Is it a lot different to drive with? I'm sure I remember someone saying that it was lighter than the power set up (which I quite like the weight of).

It would solve a lot of problems though - noisy pump, fluid pissing everywhere, stupid metal pipework that takes a day to change when you're rubbish like me... lol

FATBOY
05-11-2007, 14:43
where did you take it mate???

white16valver
05-11-2007, 15:35
For the bearing and driveshaft that once fixed made me think something else wasn't right, Mark Fish.

For the tracking, Supertyres in Maldon.

Winston
05-11-2007, 15:43
I love the fact it hasn't got power steering, i can feel the road even more so when cornering harder etc!!

Yes some people may say its a bit heavy but come off it, im a woman and not complaining.... i prefer it so much more!!

And its so nice not having the whining of the pump etc.. my engine bay is so empty now its untrue :)

All ready for the williams engine thats going in shortly!!

Laura

DanClio
05-11-2007, 17:16
Defo steering rack mate, had this on a little 1.2 we used to have my old work. quite frightening even at low speeds!

Dan

white16valver
05-11-2007, 17:49
Is anyone near Essex running a manual conversion? Manc is a bit far to go just to try it... lol

MatBrown
05-11-2007, 18:52
My cup car has manual steering.

Mat.

Winston
05-11-2007, 20:14
Winstons coming to pick me up next week in my car from my mums near Ipswich so you could try then if you like?

It will be tuesday i think.... can't drive at the modue to an operation on my knee!!!

Laura

white16valver
05-11-2007, 20:35
My cup car has manual steering.

Mat.
You're not helping! You're virtually in manchester! ;) lol

Winstons coming to pick me up next week in my car from my mums near Ipswich so you could try then if you like?

It will be tuesday i think.... can't drive at the modue to an operation on my knee!!!

Laura
hmmmmm... This could be a potential meet! :P

Do you know rough time of day? And which route you plan to take? PM if you don't want to post on here :)

Winston
05-11-2007, 20:43
Hey

He will prob get to my mums in Stowmarket about 12ish, and we will prob go back along the a14, m6!!

Where abouts are you?

Laura

white16valver
05-11-2007, 21:07
Not near the A14, M6 or Stowmarket... lol

Midweek as well and we're busy at work - think I'll have to give it a miss :(

Bummer!

Will have to source an alternative option...

Thanks for the offer though! :)