PDA

View Full Version : uprated clutch

lewis_willy2
02-11-2007, 11:48
i am running a paddle clutch on my williams turbo which i got through the group buy. but i have purchased a brand new williams standard friction plate and release bearing.

basically i want to know what is uprated about an uprated gt turbo clutch. is it the friction plate, clutch plate or release bearing.

i am looking at putting my engine back in my car today but am not sure if my standard friction plate,release bearing and helix paddle clutch are a suitable combination?

lewis

Lunner
02-11-2007, 13:27
Think friction plate is uprated too, sure its a bit stiffer, will need an uprated item to hold clutch onto plate, there is another post about this posted only today iirc

Crossers
02-11-2007, 14:44
Just wack it in dude, otherwise you'll be looking at buying uprated ruddy flywheel etc etc. The friction material on the paddle clutch will wear long before the friction plate. The release bearings the same on them all.

Mines just the standard 1. The paddle clutch just snaps on and off, there'll be barely any slippage anyway! Glad i've done the soft pedal conversion on mine!

Paul

lewis_willy2
02-11-2007, 19:48
ye i asked it in coops thread but i thought id start a seperate 1 as i need an answer asap.

spoke to k-tec and he said the friction plate is uprated aswell.

i really dont know what to do however if it does start slipping i could always just replace it as it can be done without removing the g.box cant it?

MAXIBOY
02-11-2007, 20:39
no it can,t. answered on the other thread. has a stronger sprung cover and increases clamping pressure. i would buy a cover now as the clutch is only 60 complete..

lewis_willy2
04-11-2007, 17:31
sourced a friction plate from my m8s 16valver, we changed the box and found it yesterday, only done 500miles bonus.

i meant changin the friction plate can be done just by moving the box over not completely takin it out.

richy
04-11-2007, 17:57
the pressure plate is stronger, its noticable when trying to press the clutch in!