PDA

View Full Version : adjusting handbrake cable

Dancliovalver
31-10-2007, 19:58
how do u adjust your hand brake to make it MOT passable efficient??

took black valver into get MOTd today and it failed misserably

- offside front anti-roll bar linkage fractured
- nearside rear sil excessivly corroded
- offside sill excessivly corroded
- offside front brake caliper securing device excessivly deteriorated
- nearside front wheel bearing has excessive play
- nearside and offside front tyres not fitted in accordance to the side wall instuctions ( just need swapping round with each other)
- parking brake efficiency below requirments
- and all the emmisions have failed

I can do all of them quite easily apart from the parking brake one, is it a simple job or will i be needed to start taking things apart and replacing things

MAXIBOY
31-10-2007, 20:15
can remove the exhaust heatshield and ajust the cables but might mean the rear calipers need replacing..

richy
31-10-2007, 20:31
yep as maxi says it could be the calipers themselfs, best checking they actually move fully where the cables go into

Dancliovalver
31-10-2007, 21:20
cheers guys, what normally goes wrong with the caliper and is there anythibg i can do to fix it, i have another caliper but hate bleeding brakes lol

BristolSam16v
31-10-2007, 21:47
Can be a number of things, just had a look at my caliper earlier and its ****ed, when you move the lever for the hand brack on the caliper it doesnt move the piston at all :(

Ideally you'll need a new caliper they pop up on ebay fairly often for around £50-60.

DanClio
01-11-2007, 08:43
GSF sell them for 62.50 or something dont they? :?

Dan

BristolSam16v
01-11-2007, 15:05
Yeah but then after VAT and £30 surcharge it totals at £108.69 :shock:

DanClio
01-11-2007, 17:13
:shock: Oh right. Might be able to get brand new renault one for about £60 each... dono if there will a surcharge on those tho. I'm in need of some as well.

Dan

BristolSam16v
01-11-2007, 19:53
£60 :shock: where's that??

DanClio
01-11-2007, 20:08
Well it would be a mate sorting me out :lol: But I can have a word and see if he will do more at a bigger discount, need to get a group buy going. 8)

Dan

BristolSam16v
01-11-2007, 20:21
The thing is renault charge for the caliper body and then a fair bit extra for the mounting bracket as well worked out over £100 when I checked with them month ago :shock: think that was +vat as well...

DanClio
01-11-2007, 20:22
hmmm... not sure mate, will try and find out tomorow :D

Sorry for hyjacking your thread tho dan!! :P

Dancliovalver
01-11-2007, 21:03
thats kool man, would be good to know an exact renault price incase other members are wondering 8)

can anybody confirm that the anti-roll bar linkage is just some sort of ball joint??

BristolSam16v
01-11-2007, 21:17
No its a rubber bush between the ARB and the wishbone, Im guessing they mean the rubber is perished? Bit annoying to fit but cheap.

Dancliovalver
01-11-2007, 21:37
yeah 'ball joint' was the only way i could explain it, its cracked and nearly comin out lol, will get one tomorrow and get it fitted :lol:

how much do they cost normally?

BristolSam16v
01-11-2007, 23:24
No idea not that much i dont think its only a bit of rubber, bit of a bitch to fit though cause you have to compress it a lot and try and get the nut on the bolt at the same time.

donsrno1
01-11-2007, 23:41
yeah 'ball joint' was the only way i could explain it, its cracked and nearly comin out lol, will get one tomorrow and get it fitted :lol:

how much do they cost normally?

I got a couple for about £10 a few months ago iirc - still not put them on though :lol: . I'm planning on fitting them tomorrow so any advice would be appreciated from anyone who has done them!

Its up to yourself but might be as well replacing both sides while your at it as its very common that they need replacing. I've owned 3 clios and those bushes have been ****ed on all three.

Dancliovalver
02-11-2007, 09:19
yeah im gonna be doing everything semetrical i think, alot of stuff you buy these days come in pairs anyway (bought ball joint and was a set of 2) so may aswell replace them while i have the parts anyway!!

and yes any advice on fitting the anti-roll bar linkage would be great, i was gonna chuck a ratchet strap roung the ARB, take the linkage out then fasten it all back on, mite be doin that totally wrong tho :oops:

Lunner
02-11-2007, 09:33
Absoloute bastard compressing the rubber enough to get the nut start threading....heres how i managed it, oh and i had to cut the old one off to get it out, to get it somewhere near stood the car on axle stand and then jacked arb up to get it near, but even with weight of car on arb didn't compress it enough, so G clamp came in

http://www.lunner.co.uk/williamsclio/arbtowishbonebolt.JPG

http://www.lunner.co.uk/williamsclio/arbtowishbonebolt1.JPG

u33db
02-11-2007, 10:17
You could always cheat and put it in upside down;

i.e. bolt going upwards then jack against the head (plus weight of the car) to compress everything.

Even if you don't want to fit it like that it will help compress/soften the rubber a bit to make Lunners way easier.

Lunner
02-11-2007, 13:28
If a job's worth doing its worth doing properly ;)

u33db
02-11-2007, 18:06
lol

Dancliovalver
02-11-2007, 19:04
cheers for the advice lads and thanks for the pics tom, their gonna help me out a fair bit, i have a couple of G-clamps kickin about so shouldnt be too hard i hope :(

BristolSam16v
02-11-2007, 19:14
cheers for the advice lads and thanks for the pics tom, their gonna help me out a fair bit, i have a couple of G-clamps kickin about so shouldnt be too hard i hope :(

Its not hard really, just fcking annoying and fiddly.

Dancliovalver
02-11-2007, 19:49
yeah i think ill be taking some chill pills and beers upto ma garage tomorrow hehehe