PDA

View Full Version : Worst Clio 16v in the Universe.

Wobba
31-10-2007, 16:31
Zollo and I just went to check out a white 16v Clio from Ebay. I had won the auction and was hoping for a bargain. Upon arrival all seemed okay as we approached the car from the rear. Looking a bit further, it was apparent this car was F*CKED.

Body work was quite bad with rust under what looked like repainted arches, terrible corrosion and rust under the sills, where some twat had jacked the car up a couple of times leaving large dents.

The service history claimed an 'alloy refurb'. LOL refurbed by placing them in a vat of vinegar from what we could see. The corrosion was the worst I have ever seen. The only good thing were the tyres which had plenty of tread, shame that one had a slow puncture.

It had an up to date MOT, but it was one that seemed to have been done by the Chuckle Brothers while on crack. There is no way that car would pass an MOT now. The engine bay was a mess, with various fluids all over the place. Power steering was working...or would have been if there wasn’t a huge leak which was spottable even by me, a novice, straight away.

The guy claimed all it needed was power steering fixed and the gearbox mount. The mount (dogbone) looked to be the only thing holding the thing together! The linkages were all over the place, missing bolts etc, covered in PS fluid and the remnants of a blown expansion bottle all over the inside.

Zollo pointed out barely any oil in the car, think I spotted a possible oil leak as the sump was covered in oil.

The interior was like it had housed the local populace of farm animals, with what appeared to be hay all over it, and the seats were f*cked.

Despite all of this I was happily chatting away to the owner about how it could be fixed and what I would do etc etc, with Zollo behind the fella, waving at me, silently mouthing some words, that appeared to be: 'This fars cucked!!'

I told the guy I couldn’t move the car with it like that and I would be in touch. Riiiiight.

Jumping into Mr Zollo's lovely GTI-6, we made a hasty retreat, Zollo telling me he would have walked away at the first glimpse we got!

I only got one pic of the engine bay:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/fubar.jpg

Not a great pic but you can see a few bits clearly screwey. A lot of the bolts down there were wobbling about, half undone.

Oh well...you live and learn! This is why you should always inspect a car before bidding!

bluenose
31-10-2007, 16:49
Will you not be liable having won the auction? I suppose it wasnt as described but be careful mate!

Wobba
31-10-2007, 16:53
Well, I could sell a car and say: Its white and has 4 wheels.

Thats pretty much what he said, and that it had a ps leak and needed a gearbox mount. It needs shit lot more than that and it is not safe to drive.

philthy
31-10-2007, 21:33
this the one that had turbines without centre caps?

Wobba
31-10-2007, 22:11
this the one that had Turdbines without centre caps?

Yes. I have made an offer less tan I bid on the basis it is not as described, but I will likely break it if he accpets and scrap the rest. Its shot to bits.

Wobba
31-10-2007, 22:22
See the wheels? You think they are just covered in dirt and brake dust right?

Think again. Think totally corroded!

http://www.asrm48.dsl.pipex.com/cars/side.jpg

FATBOY
31-10-2007, 22:56
if he plays up and gives ya bad feedback mate just leave him bad feedback saying how dangerous the car looked and to beware!

Wobba
31-10-2007, 23:00
He left feedback all right, negative of course saying I was a timewaster.

I would have left an essay as to what was wrong with the car but, being limited to 80 characters, I just said: 'Upon inspection car deemed dangerous by mechanic, not as described. Buyer Beware'

Simple and to the point.

If he had simply spent more time on his description and been honest it would have saved us all a lot of time and money.

MatrixGuy
31-10-2007, 23:37
That looks mint condition! :lol:

Wobba
31-10-2007, 23:49
That looks mint condition! :lol:

I'm sure you can make him an offer then!! :lol:

1995clio16v
01-11-2007, 00:11
LMFAO!

Thats the best write up of the week!

Unlucky mate.

1995clio16v
01-11-2007, 00:13
That small pic of the bay seems to show rust everywhere, in just the small area you have taken the pic!

How much did you actually win the car for?

Did he seem happy to sell it for that much?

What sort of age was the chap?

:shock:

MatBrown
01-11-2007, 00:47
It did look quite good in the auction pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1992-RENAULT-CLIO-16V-WHITE_W0QQitemZ130165501769QQihZ003QQcategoryZ9861 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What were the panels like?

Mat.

Wobba
01-11-2007, 00:53
LMFAO!

Thats the best write up of the week!

Unlucky mate.

That small pic of the bay seems to show rust everywhere, in just the small area you have taken the pic!

How much did you actually win the car for?

Did he seem happy to sell it for that much?

What sort of age was the chap?

Shocked

Thanks :) . I do my best to entertain, often at my own expense.

I won the car for £410.

He seemed happy at that price, in fact rather eager to sell.

I would say he was about 30 years old.

Wobba
01-11-2007, 01:27
It did look quite good in the auction pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1992-RENAULT-CLIO-16V-WHITE_W0QQitemZ130165501769QQihZ003QQcategoryZ9861 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

What were the panels like?

Mat.

II know what you guys are thinking.

Sure, the car could be broken up and you could probably make some cash on it. I would have done the same if I had the time and space and confidence with mechanics like some of you guys.

The panels:

Doors, in my non-professional opinion: Crap. First impressions were that the D-pillars looked really shabby like the car has been left outside in the elements for a long time. There was a large dent in driver door, which had been pushed out at some point.

The rear hatch had a little rust in the usual place at the bottom, but on the whole was in good nick and could have been a replacement from a different car at some point.

Rear bumper had a little chunk chopped out of it to make space for the exhaust, which at one stage was knocking.

Bonnet seemed ok, as were the front wings.

Passenger sill was a mess. Badly welded and corroded. Driver one was okay, as seen in small pic above.

Didn't look at front bumper, far too concerned with the various leaks to look properly.

The shell needed work very large bubbles brewing under the rear arches. It may well have been done in the past, but if so, the new welded metal was not treated properly and just painted over. Drivers’ side was bad.

Drivers seat was a mess. Lumbar supports screwed and the interior looked covered in bits of hay and shi*e. Everything looked like it had had much better days.

No stereo, no speakers, just holes in door cards and parcel shelf.

Would need good going over by someone to get the mechanicals straight.

Engine bay looked a mess, heat shield gone. Power steering pipe popped out offside gaiter, probably due to bracket that holds it in had gone missing. Pump was still working but incredibly noisy due to 0 fluid. Not sure if new power steering arm needed or if it could be saved.

Dogbone mount rubber was shot to bits but the gear linkages and various things around there looked like they had not been done up properly for some time.

Zollo said exhaust may be blowing and I think I saw smoke coming from the engine bay as if a gasket on the manifold may have gone or not have been put on causing exhaust fumes to seep through, should have done paper test, but it was all academic at that stage! Could have been power steering fluid or oil burning off though...

Electrics were a bit ropey, would need an overhaul. Didn’t test lights or check dials.

Think I saw a bend in what could have been the nearside wishbone, don’t quote me on that though. Battery looked newish, he claims alternator was recently replaced.

Totti
01-11-2007, 01:32
That was the one for sale in selsey! I was going to go and have a look at that last weekend, he said I could have taken it off his hands for £400. I never got round to it in the end.

Glad I didn't by the sounds of it. He told me there were a couple of small issues that needed attention, but other than that the car was in excellent condition! What a joker. :roll:

Wobba
01-11-2007, 01:48
That was the one for sale in selsey! I was going to go and have a look at that last weekend, he said I could have taken it off his hands for £400. I never got round to it in the end.

Glad I didn't by the sounds of it. He told me there were a couple of small issues that needed attention, but other than that the car was in excellent condition! What a joker. :roll:

Don't get me wrong, for a project car for someone who was prepared for all the crap duff cars can bring it may be an option, but personally I wouldnt pay more than 100-150.

Excellent condition? He said that? Lol. No. Zollo is my witness. You think I have been scathing in my appraisal, Zollio will just laugh if you ask him what the car was like hehe. He also said to me there was loads of history, no, there wasn't simple as that. There was a bunch of MOT's and receipts for work that he claimed had been done but CLEARLY hadn't, or if they had been, they were done by a one legged, one armed drunken blind man using a banana instead of a spanner.

Wobba
01-11-2007, 01:53

Did you go see the Williams in Fareham? That looked not bad!

Totti
01-11-2007, 10:33
When was that advertised? I didn't go and see it, I am always keeping an eye out though.

Where in Southampton are you based?

Do you have a williams?

Wobba
01-11-2007, 10:58
When was that advertised? I didn't go and see it, I am always keeping an eye out though.

Do you have a williams?

Not at mo, no car at all as I work in town and had severe problem with parking (try a £25,000 parking fine for a start!). Need car again soon though :D Had lots of renaults and turbo nutter jap cars. Want a little cheeky clio again now, but there seem to be very few even remotely near me in Southampton for sale :(

The Willy in fareham was on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130166049856&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

I am currently in Bannister Park, not far from Zollo and a couple of other nutters on the site!

u33db
01-11-2007, 11:04
Not being funny but for 400quid you weren't seriously expecting to get a 16v that just needs a wash and a hoover to be mint?

Obviously i never saw it but it sounds a reasonable price for what it is TBH.

Wobba
01-11-2007, 11:11
Not being funny but for 400quid you weren't seriously expecting to get a 16v that just needs a wash and a hoover to be mint?

Yea I know what you are saying, and yes it could be a project car for people who really know what they are doing, have a lot of spare cash, time and parts, although being an auction the price could have gone a lot higher.

Fact is the car was described very badly and this post will give buyers an idea of what they could be up against on car auctions, and also a bit of a laugh at our adventure.

seanofnp
01-11-2007, 11:39
Youll get one soon wobba! Keep up the search!

Totti
01-11-2007, 12:02

Do you have a williams?

Not at mo, no car at all as I work in town and had severe problem with parking (try a £25,000 parking fine for a start!). Need car again soon though :D Had lots of renaults and turbo nutter jap cars. Want a little cheeky clio again now, but there seem to be very few even remotely near me in Southampton for sale :(

The Willy in fareham was on ebay...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=130166049856&_trksid=p3984.cWAT.m240.lVI

I am currently in Bannister Park, not far from Zollo and a couple of other nutters on the site!

£25,000! What the hell did you do?

There are quite a few williams' down south, I see a Williams 2 a lot on the way to uni
Im always around in Southampton as im at uni there. Keep a good look out for my black 172.

Wobba
01-11-2007, 12:29

Do you have a williams?

£25,000! What the hell did you do?

There are quite a few williams' down south, I see a Williams 2 a lot on the way to uni
Im always around in Southampton as im at uni there. Keep a good look out for my black 17poo.

Parking incident. Some of you may have seen it on TV:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/topstories/tm_objectid=15801973%26method=full%26siteid=94762-name_page.html

http://www.asrm48.dsl.pipex.com/Parking/File0004.JPG

http://www.asrm48.dsl.pipex.com/Parking/File0005.JPG

http://www.asrm48.dsl.pipex.com/Parking/File0006.JPG

http://www.parkingappeals.co.uk/Portals/0/Documents/How%20car%20drivers%20are%20taking%20on%20traffic% 20wardens%20Observer%20(Neil).pdf

I started doing some research and discovered that every single parking ticket ever issued in my town was non compliant and thus unenforceable since 1992 (about 5-8 million pounds worth not including inflation). Council are on the backfoot now. My tickets miraculously got cancelled.

Big case imminent, watch this space...

seanofnp
01-11-2007, 13:08
I remember all this from years ago wobba lol. Cant believe its still going on! hehe!

Wobba
01-11-2007, 13:29
I remember all this from years ago wobba lol. Cant believe its still going on! hehe!

Haha! Yep! Shoe's on the other foot now though as I have a legal team onto it hehe! Had some bad news yesterday though, so it's gonna carry on for another year at least probably...depends on what the Chief Exec of the Council says next week...

There was a recent ITV mini documentary the other week about it. Appearing on TV does loads for your sex life :wink:

Anyway. I am still looking for an honest 16v in need of some attention, so if you know anyone give me a tinkle!

Zollo
02-11-2007, 09:45
Didn't realise you won the auction on the car mate. If that was me I would have told him in no uncertain terms that if he left me bad feedback I would be contacting ebay to warn them of him and the car.

I wasn't expecting it to simply need a wash and hoover (not least because generally sellers do that anyway :wink: ), but I know what £1000 Valvers look like and this wasn't even 25% of one of those ones. As you say, you never saw it - I did, and I can safely say it was not a reasonable price for what it was!

Wobba
02-11-2007, 10:31
Didn't realise you won the auction on the car mate. If that was me I would have told him in no uncertain terms that if he left me bad feedback I would be contacting ebay to warn them of him and the car.

I wasn't expecting it to simply need a wash and hoover (not least because generally sellers do that anyway :wink: ), but I know what £1000 Valvers look like and this wasn't even 25% of one of those ones. As you say, you never saw it - I did, and I can safely say it was not a reasonable price for what it was!

Lol oh well. I dont care that my positive feeedback ratio is about 80% now hehe. I rarely use lolbay anyway.

At least it gave us a chance to amuse the lads with our fantastic adventure to inbred land eh Zol!?

Zollo
02-11-2007, 11:20
I knew something would come out of it. :wink:

Lunner
02-11-2007, 13:45
From the sounds of it, apart from the bodywork it was nothing a few spare parts wouldn't have sorted out, just the bodywork thats a bastard to sort

Wobba
02-11-2007, 13:52
From the sounds of it, apart from the bodywork it was nothing a few spare parts wouldn't have sorted out, just the bodywork thats a B**t**d to sort

The obvious things, on reflection, could have been fixed fairly easily but the overall condition was suggestive of a very hard life, so we didnt even check the rest.

When you looked at it, there was just that small voice in your head telling you something was very wrong.

u33db
02-11-2007, 18:19
Was that subframe painted?!

Wobba
03-11-2007, 16:55
iirc yea

u33db
03-11-2007, 17:48
Maybe not such a bad egg then before someones taken the time to do that..