PDA

View Full Version : Should I change my Oil?

Daz
05-06-2005, 16:31
So, I'm thinking of changing my oil.
It's been in about 1k miles.. but it's always ran hot.
80c in traffic, 100c normal driving, 120c on motorway..

Before I had engine out, it never went above 80c on the old oil (but it had seen better days), but then, the coolant never got hot either cus' of thermostat - got low temp thermostat now, and it gets up to right temperature.

Pressure, it sits at about 4 when oil is cold, sits at about 3k throughout rev range when up to temp (if oil is 80c, then it goes to about 3.5bar, motorway, it's about 3bar) and drops to just above 0 on idle..

Mat has exactly the same oil in his Hybrid, and that sits at 80c no problems.. so I dunno?
It just seems weird.. read somewhere that if oil hits 120c, then, it's probably buggered.. but I dunno how true that is.

Car performs awesome at the moment.. really responsive and torquey.. which is what worries me too.. heh.

Oil is 10w40, Vauxhall stuff.. not sure if semi or fully synth.

Should I change it?
If I do, what should I use?

VIPERONE
05-06-2005, 16:37
The best oil i have ever used.. lol was halfords £15 10 40 mineral...no tapping, no silly heats..

however now that i am wiser.. i will be uing Millers oild from now on...i believe ritchspeed can offer deals on it.

an old sas trick for tack days is to half fill your engine.. less oil for the crank to turn in..lol

Daz
05-06-2005, 16:38
I was thinking Millers.. but I dunno why this oil is different in mine than it is in Mat's.. just seems odd.

MatBrown
05-06-2005, 16:45
It's 10w 40 semi synthetic.

If you willing to pay, i have some 15w 50 Motul 300v you can try?

Another question is should he bother changing the filter? He knows my answer.

Mat.

dannyt
05-06-2005, 21:01
Yes change it pal, mine used to run a little hot both water and oil and after changing the oil and filter a few times roughly ever 4k it runs really well now!

also changed the thermo and coolant!

Daz
05-06-2005, 21:38
Yes change it pal, mine used to run a little hot both water and oil and after changing the oil and filter a few times roughly ever 4k it runs really well now!

also changed the thermo and coolant!

Coolant is fine.

Everything is new pretty much - just the oil gets a bit warm.

I dunno if it's anything to worry about.. cus' it is running really well.. heh.

I'll see what Mat says.. get him to drive it and check the oil in it at the moment.

edde
05-06-2005, 21:54
I use the same Vauxhall oil in mine however it runs a lot cooler than that about 95 @ 80mph. 120 on the track and 80~90 on the road normally.
I've chnaged the oil twice and get the same figures.
120 is when the oils supposed to break down apparently and mine doesn't look that clean after a little track work.
I'm chnaging to CFS miller 10 60 when I get a chance s on the track it should be a lot better temp wise. 10 60 is a bit much unless you ue the car for track work though I'd keep with 10-40 millers unless you use it on track and are willing to accept wear when cold will be increased.
If any oilsrunning 120degress I'd be changing it very often or least look into why its doin that. maybe some ducting would help.