PDA

View Full Version : Dave, Topgear, mark 1 v mark 2's

freebone16v
28-10-2007, 23:11
**WARNING**

rambling likely in this post

**WARNING**

please bear with me on this post, believe me there is a point to it.

it started off tonight, i caught an advert earlier on this week telling me that the new channel on digital called Dave was actually screening this series of topgear at 7pm on sundays, great i thought, just more topgear, never enough anyways.....to my delight when i turned this on the topgear on was infact the very first in this series, the one with the W12 Golf and then the 'the best driving road', with the aston, lambo and porsche.

and this is were it begins. There will probably be some of you reading this that think how can he relate the 2 but some others should hopefully understand. Whilst watching the 'the best driving road' section, more specifically the start when they reviewed and introduced the cars did i start to think about my old car. Then we they started out on the roads and started to through the cars about did i understand how they were feeling, the fun they were having, and at this point i realised how much i missed and wanted my old car back.*

*for those newbie's or people that didn't previously know i owned a mark 1 1.8 16v (a valver).

so some of you may now be thinking how can he compare the thousand pound supercars with this little french (sh*tbox) hot hatch, well its the feelings, the fun, the smiles, the rawness........no wieght, no toys (as such)...etc etc.....

this then leads me on to my second point, with watching this part of the show and realising that i missed the thrill, the fun factor and noise of my old car that i infact had done the wrong thing in selling it for a mark 2.

so the mark 1 v mark 2 debate (in my view)
at the time i sold the mark 1 for very good money, too much i think maybe but thats why i sold it...lol..and inline was the next car i wanted, a mark 2 phase 1 172, always liked the looks of them (much better than the phase 2's) and i fancied a bit more power. initially it took a bit of getting use to, and the power was nice, it was definatly quicker but somehow (and this is were the problem is) it felt slower, and with this it didn't seem as fun, handling wise...well in my opinion its nothing compared to the mark 1's, the mark 2 just isn't as good (that may be down to tyres etc but i had times like that on the mark 1 and it was still ok).

there are certain parts to the mark 2 i like, the extra comfort, the 6 disc changer as standard, compared to stripped valver i spose its a bit luxurious and other things like it doesn't rattle as much and its in better nick mechanically i spose but somehow compared to the mark 1 i don't think its ever going to win my heart.........

god i miss my mark 1.........

discuss if you wish.

(also posted on cs, will be interesting to hear the replies on there...lol)

i know i am going to get i told you so's.....lol

philthy
28-10-2007, 23:16
tbh, i am in the same boat, never should have sold my williams,

I now have a 210bhp ph1 172 that doesnt workand hasnt for 2 months now, so on the lookout for a williams again

Matty86
28-10-2007, 23:50
one thing to win you back

the styling.

wavy
29-10-2007, 00:50
i have all ways liked older cars because of the feeling i get when driving them
newer cars seem soul less and uninteresting to drive
they are so well built and quiet when driving
the micra i just used while mine was in the body shop was very impressive in build and toys but totally lacked and sense of fun or feeling
even my dad commented on the way home from picking the willy that he could see why i go on about the noise and ride giving me a smile when i drive it :) made my day even better

p.s .. freebone16v is it a mid life crisis LOL :wink:

1995clio16v
29-10-2007, 01:13
My mum and step dad refuse to move, drive, be a passenger or even sit in my 16v.

They hate it. Rattly, noisy, low, hard etc etc.

I get it all.

Thye just dont understand do they!?

Ive had my 16v for 3 1/2 yrs now and i enjoy EVERY single bit of driving i do in it. I love it to bits and have NEVER once considered selling it, only when the clutch cable keeps snapping or it has a mechanical but that just normal i suppose! Never do i think of selling it because im bored of it.

What ended up being a normal converstion with my sister the other week about me trying to explain how my 16v has more fun factor than her boyfriends golf 07 gt tdi will ever have, turned out to being a full blown argument....pft...sisters..females...what do they know about cars!!

She doesnt seem to understand that a golf gt tdi is a ****ING REPS car and will never be anymore. She doesnt understand that hot hatches are designed for fun-ness! Not many people do unlike us 'boy racers'!!

:o

Matty86
29-10-2007, 01:27
there must be something to these mk1s

mine has broken so much, but when its working its so much fun to drive!

freebone16v
29-10-2007, 08:24
p.s .. freebone16v is it a mid life crisis LOL :wink:

i hope not mate, i am only 23......

glad people are getting what i mean when i have explained it.........so if anybody see's or knows of any **special** mark 1's for sale send them my way, coops's turbo would do nicely

Dancliovalver
29-10-2007, 08:31
yep i get what ya mean mate, i like new cars, very comfortable and quiet but i will never own one purley because i seem to have sooo much more fun in an older car :twisted:

plus older cars u can start to service them yourself coz service history doesnt really mean alot over 100k ive always thought so it kinda works out cheaper aswell :D if that makes sence

richy
29-10-2007, 17:53
i love my 16v, although its no-where near std lol but its alot of fun and very much raw in comparison to my 1 8 2, but i also love the 1 8 2, driving it to work everyday is pure pleasure, and i can just slow and relax if i want with that, although you dont get the same feeling as in the 16v its still alot of fun and was top fun at the ring!

Clio-Girl
29-10-2007, 17:57
there must be something to these mk1s

mine has broken so much, but when its working its so much fun to drive!
im in total agreement mines never on the road due to stupid problems but i would NEVER part with it i love it 2 bits!!

DaveH
29-10-2007, 20:54
Ive fancied a ph1 172 (dont really like ph2 172) but i couldnt justify selling the valver to buy one(especially with the 2.0 build on) in an ideal world id like a 172 for trips to work etc as im sure theyre a fun car to use daily and keep the valver for weekends and fun. That way i would get the comfort i want and would probably appreciate the valver more than i do now and it would give me the time to take it off the road if needed rather than relying on it every day!

However this would be an ideal world in which i have my own garage and a money tree in the garden!

Wobba
29-10-2007, 23:28
I used to have a scooby 'series McRae' turbo and a R5 'Raider' at the same time and used to jump out of one into the other. They were both nutter cars, but despite the 5 being older, and a bit slower, it was the 'rawness' that gave me a big thrill (oh, and the massive, very crude turbo boost!). The scoob was a more serious performance car, but my friends agreed that the 5 was more of a fun car for shits and giggles.

I guess the newer cars are not as raw?

Andyvalver
30-10-2007, 00:05
I regret selling my valver now tbh. Such a blast to drive 8) got teh megane coupe now which tbh is a bit faster but its very dull and boring. Great down a motorway or bypass to blast away in but no fun on country roads :(

Lunner
30-10-2007, 09:36
Absoloutly love my clio, would only sell it when/iff i had the funds to upgrade to an exiege.....same sorta thrills imo

Still it got to a point about 5 months ago that i blew tyhe gearbox up and NEEDED a car for work, didn't have a box and working 12 hour shifts left me little time to fix it, plus i was 150 mile away from my tools.....so the decission was made to get a diesel.....now got the clio in pieces and a diesel vectra, love the vectra cus its everything the clio isn't, quiet, comphy, RELIABLE, cheap to run......but then i ahve the clio for the weekends when i want to let my hair down and can blast around just for the shear hell of it with a huge grin on my face.

Had the engine outa the clio a month ago and swapped the box and other bits and its still sat in my garage, although very close to going back in.......and even more so its nice not HAVING to fix it, i can do a bit here and there are my leasure, its sorn atm, and has run out of MOT, fixing it aghain is once more an enjoyment thing rather than being pressured inot it cus i need to use it the next day to go to work, the only pressure now is my ever growing urge the drive the ****er

titcharoony
30-10-2007, 18:35
cudnt agree with you more wobba, on the raider fron anyway. i do miss mine. the williams is a great car no doubt about it. and std for std, its better in braking, better in top end pull, and better round corners, and possibly quicker off the line aswell. This may come from the fact i owned my raider for years and years and ive only had my williams for a few months, but i kinda prefer the raider.
rawer, edgier, and a different type of acceleration that wud always give you a grin. You didnt even have to boot it for it to spool up and give you some pull. I have to rev the arse off my williams for it to do that, which is fine, but not as fun id say. I dunno, i guess older cars force more out of you as a driver, and the crudeness and faults we can relate to as human beings, inperfections are wonderful things really. The williams is a great car, but a great all rounder, and in many ways, i wish there was smthing it couldnt do very well, a huge flaw maybe. Thats what the r5 was, a flawed classic. more fun to drive imo. awful feeling when u regret selling a car

Coops
30-10-2007, 21:19
Lunner mate, nail, head and hit the, not necessarily in that order!

I agree completely with that mentality, I enjoy the clio everytime i drive it, it never works and am always waiting for the next issue or problem but even when its close to working right nothing i have ever driven come close, even my sisters ex fellas elise dare i say it! :shock: the grin factor is just tip top, and the clio aspect of it means the extra bonus of noone expects it to be quick!

At the same time its nice to have a 'modern' car (1998 fiesta, lol, but very refined when compared to the turbo!) to rely on, run about in and franky not give a crap about to lug me to work and around the place when the clio is under repair/tucked up!

So all in all the clio just does it for me, its rattly, loud and old but thats all the reasons i love driving it, i'm right next to the road when i drive so the experience is just unbeatable, love it!

and freebone..............no way am sellin! :P :wink:

FATBOY
30-10-2007, 21:23
no way am i selling too! be 4 years in february... wonder who has owned there williams the longest on here??? 2live perhaps???

titcharoony
31-10-2007, 12:00
i love the fact people say clios are old and rattley. I remember getting in mine and compared to r5s i was saying things like ooooh power steering, plush. haha.

bluenose
31-10-2007, 14:24
i love the fact people say clios are old and rattley. I remember getting in mine and compared to r5s i was saying things like ooooh power steering, plush. haha.

I remember buying my 1.4RT phase 3 after driving around in a K reg 1.2 Prima and the RT felt like a Bentley in comparison! Power steering, electric windows, electric mirrors :lol: :lol: :lol: . After that, going onto a Williams was amazing! Everything feels that little bit more sturdy and (to a certain extent) it doesnt feel like everything is going to fall off when you put your foot down a bit!
I will be holding onto the Williams for a while, gradually restoring it. It surprised me just how much of a reputation it has got. I am forever being asked if it's a real one :roll: cheeky beggars!

titcharoony
31-10-2007, 19:15
i get the same. u get a different type of reaction aswell. the raider was great, but better liked by chavs. i get enthusiasts ask about the williams, which is much preffered