PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure problems - new pump time?

alex_e3
26-10-2007, 21:14
About 6 or so weeks back, the car started tapping in the mornings for a very short time. Since then, the tapping has gradually got worse. Now in the mornings it's tapping really really loud for about 5 minutes or so.

Strangely enough, i've recently noticed the oil pressure dropping more and more. It still starts on about 3 & 1/2 bar, but it used to start on more than that not so long ago. It goes up to about 4 to 4 1/2 bar when driven stone cold. The oil pressure also drops down really really fast, whereas it took much longer for it to drop a couple of months back. I'm very worried about it to be honest. When the car's warmed up, it will only sit at about 1 bar when driving normally. If i boot it, it goes up to about 3 1/2 bar maybe a bit more.

Since i swapped the engine, it's been running on 5W 40 fully synthetic. I've gone out today and bought some 15W 40 cheap stuff to see if it brings the pressure up, but can't see it helping. I'm assuming the tappets would possibly be down to this lack of pressure?

Now my main question is, how much are these oil pumps, and who stocks them? I hope it's not a renault only part!

What are peoples opinions? Sound like the pump? How much of a job is it to do?

Help would be much appreciated, as i don't want my engine to go bang!

Thanks guys,

Al

number1
26-10-2007, 21:30
I believe stan is the best person to get oil pumps off, Wouldnt an oil pump just give up tho? surely low oil pressure when warm would be down to worn bottom end? 1 Bar is good tho, better than mine, i dnt go too much on the pressure gauge, there about as accurate as the fuel gauge! lol
Try some hydraulic lifter treatment if they are noisy, and they wont affect oil pressure at all

Dave

alex_e3
26-10-2007, 21:43
Jesus i hope it's not the bottom end! Don't fancy a rebuild just yet!

The car pulls perfectly though???

I'm still well dubious about the pressue, as it has visibly dropped, and it was higher in my 1.8 engine too - using the same oil pressure sender unit.

Stan come and read this and give me your opinion please!!!!! :)

Swervin_Mervin
26-10-2007, 22:58
Sounds like there's nothing at all wrong imo.

alex_e3
27-10-2007, 19:01
Well i put the 15W 40 in earlier today. The oil pressure has risen quite a bit. So hopefully i'm putting the problems down to the oil.

However, the true test will be in the morning - to see if the tappets are quiet!

Also put my decat on - car feels better up the revs. Sounds nice too! Oh yeah, did my greenstuff pads too. Had a bit of a day of it!

alex_e3
28-10-2007, 11:59
Nope - car still tappety as hell. Bollocks!

Looks like i'll have to put some new ones in, as can't be doing with that racket every morning.

Those tappets off ebay for £50, which are mentioned in the other thread - are definitely ok?

Tommo
29-10-2007, 14:09
Try some Wynns oil additive, it's only cheap but very effective, it worked a treat on mine....

Swervin_Mervin
29-10-2007, 14:19
Try some Wynns oil additive, it's only cheap but very effective, it worked a treat on mine....

Aye. Mine had Forte top end treatment and it's been quiet as a mouse ever since.

alex_e3
29-10-2007, 22:55
Suppose i should try it before doing tappets really.

Tappets are quite loud at times though. How loud were both of yours before you put the treatment in?

BRUN
29-10-2007, 23:37
try the additive, and its swings and roundabouts with the oil, sometimes going thicker sorts it, sometimes it doesnt

it can either work like this, the thinner oil gets up to the head quicker and makes it quieter sooner, or, the thicker oil leaves a better film behind on the parts to make them quiet straight away, all depends on the wear on the parts i suppose, i use a 5W-40 and mines pretty quiet