PDA

View Full Version : Its gone again........HELP ME!!

1995clio16v
25-10-2007, 17:53
Right lads,

I getting seriously pissed of with this keeping happening now!

****ing clutch cable has snapped AGAIN!!!

Ive had this car 3 1/2 yrs now and this is the 5/6th one now.

I always keep a spare now, i expect it to happen that frequently!

Help please on why it keeps happening?

And dont say im routing it wrong!! Im 10000000% sure im not, read on! :twisted:

I could line up every one of these snapped cables (of mine) and they go in the same place everytime (pic below), guaranteed.

Its just where the cable goes over the back of the pedal arm, at the bottom of the curve where it starts to straighten and go through the bulkhead.

This is the way I route my clutch cables.

Obviously from the pedal, straight down out the bulkhead, straight down again, round the back of the steering rack, along the subframe and into the 3 clips and following it round to the clutch and where it is then housed!

Im pretty sure its pefect.

Its had a new clutch and pedal in the last 12 months.

I am that pissed off that i called in at renault the other day and the guy said 'just sell the car' wanker!! I get that all the time from the parents! No, but he said they all go, its a manufacturing fault, you will just have to put up with it but surely not. He said when the AA used to go out to these, they used to use a big cable with solderless nipples, he said maybe go down that route but no too sure what he means by that.

ANY IDEAS WHY THIS KEEPS HAPPENING TO ME!!??

Cheers lads.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa134/northern_imports/clutchcable.jpg

Wobba
25-10-2007, 18:17
Thats bad. Had RAC come out to my R5 after throttle cable snapped and they fabricated a cable for me there and then. Was obviously different to Renault one. Thats prolly what the mechanic meant.

Lunner
25-10-2007, 18:27
They do go alot, try a new pedal assemble from Renault, £23 iirc, bit of a bitch to fit....imagine lying on your back on your seats, legs in air, head in footwell

white16valver
25-10-2007, 19:09
Are you a bit quick with your changes? You might need to drive it a bit more gently ;) lol :P

1995clio16v
25-10-2007, 19:45
They do go alot, try a new pedal assemble from Renault, £23 iirc, bit of a bitch to fit....imagine lying on your back on your seats, legs in air, head in footwell

Well I actually bought a new pedal kit last week when i got the cable but i really really dont want to fit it as ive done one before and theyre possibly the worst job to do on these, and it will involve so much swearing!! :shock:

Do you really think this could be the difference?

I dont really see how changing the pedal could work??

I keep thinking of tryinf to route the cable differently in the bay.

Do we all agree the main issue is the amount of cures/bends the cable takes in the bay is the biggest prob?

1995clio16v
25-10-2007, 19:46
Are you a bit quick with your changes? You might need to drive it a bit more gently ;) lol :P

Not really mate. I dont thrash the tits off it everywhere or go daft on changes really.

1995clio16v
25-10-2007, 19:47
Thats bad. Had RAC come out to my R5 after throttle cable snapped and they fabricated a cable for me there and then. Was obviously different to Renault one.
Thats prolly what the mechanic meant.

Yep understood that bit, just didnt really know what he meant by solderless nipples, dont see how this could help?

2 live
25-10-2007, 19:54

iv never had a cable snap on me. had the ratchets go twice on the pedal but never a cable. must be the routing, if theyv been reno cables id say tbh. you had a clutch fitted?

1995clio16v
25-10-2007, 20:05

iv never had a cable snap on me. had the ratchets go twice on the pedal but never a cable. must be the routing, if theyv been reno cables id say tbh. you had a clutch fitted?

Yeah i ve had a new one done about 14 months ago, maybe less. Gen ren cables all the time.

How could it be the clutch? Obviously fitted incorrectly? But dont see how this could effect something like the cable?

2 live
25-10-2007, 20:57
would depend on the stregnth of the diaphragm springs, this will affect pressure needed to operate, this will stretch the cable/put more strain on it.

dimma16v
26-10-2007, 01:35

Well I actually bought a new pedal kit last week when i got the cable but i really really dont want to fit it as ive done one before and theyre possibly the worst job to do on these, and it will involve so much swearing!! :shock:

Do you really think this could be the difference?

I dont really see how changing the pedal could work??

I keep thinking of tryinf to route the cable differently in the bay.

Do we all agree the main issue is the amount of cures/bends the cable takes in the bay is the biggest prob?

if you have a new pedal kit fit it as this happened to my last clio a few years ago cable kept snaping so i drop the car of for a MOT at renault and they fixed the dreaded snaping for free as it was a part of a recall which renualt new about.

don't no if they still have all the data left but pop into renault and ask them to put your cars details(eg frab.number,chas. number)into the computer to check if there have been any recalls for your car if so they should fit the parts for free.

Daz.
26-10-2007, 06:37
[Do you really think this could be the difference?

Yes

simonr85
26-10-2007, 08:56
right ive just come on to post the exact same thread, mine snapped a few weeks ago, the same time as yours last went so i changed the cable and the pedal assembly then last nite it fu*$%$ snapped AGAIN but i dont keep a spare like you :cry:

anyway i spoke to my mate and he says it must be tensioned too much, told him the ratchet tensions it automatically but he said (like 2live said above) it may be on the clutch end ie. the pressure plate being worn or something.

well anyway the williams is off the road for the 4th clutch cable since march luckily ive got a clutch under my bed to change at same time and hopefully this cures it.

1995clio16v, do you have an uprated clutch in at mo?

1995clio16v
26-10-2007, 13:40
Nice one dimma, ill give this one a go because its got past being a joke for now.

1995clio16v
26-10-2007, 13:44
right ive just come on to post the exact same thread, mine snapped a few weeks ago, the same time as yours last went so i changed the cable and the pedal assembly then last nite it fu*$%$ snapped AGAIN but i dont keep a spare like you :cry:

anyway i spoke to my mate and he says it must be tensioned too much, told him the ratchet tensions it automatically but he said (like 2live said above) it may be on the clutch end ie. the pressure plate being worn or something.

well anyway the williams is off the road for the 4th clutch cable since march luckily ive got a clutch under my bed to change at same time and hopefully this cures it.

Hi mate,

No i havent got an uprated one, just a gen ren one.

You think this may help?

I have now started to wonder if it has been fitted incorrectly due to the fact I have done everything possible to try cure the problem. I am going to fit this pedal kit this weekend and see if this makes a difference like our man above says. If this doesnt sort it then Im gonna go down the route of a new clutch maybe.

But I have seen you cruising round preston or should I say ragging the tits off it round preston!!! :shock:

simonr85
26-10-2007, 14:13

Hi mate,

No i havent got an uprated one, just a gen ren one.

You think this may help?

I have now started to wonder if it has been fitted incorrectly due to the fact I have done everything possible to try cure the problem. I am going to fit this pedal kit this weekend and see if this makes a difference like our man above says. If this doesnt sort it then Im gonna go down the route of a new clutch maybe.

But I have seen you cruising round preston or should I say ragging the tits off it round preston!!! :shock:

no ive got an uprated clutch in so thought if you had same clutch then that could be the prob but obv not, ive just got a gen renault 1 so gonna give that a go.

Already changed full pedal ratchet once, not doing it again. what a joke

my cable snapped where yours did last time but this time its snapped at the other end ie. the clutch fork end.

You have seen me round preston? where are you from?

1995clio16v
26-10-2007, 15:28
Ok, cheers for that.

From Penwortham matey.

Ive seen a couple of willys knocking round Preston so just presuming one would be you!!

simonr85
29-10-2007, 14:29
Ok, cheers for that.

From Penwortham matey.

Ive seen a couple of willys knocking round Preston so just presuming one would be you!!

You may of seen me in penwortham, was seein a bird up there a bit bk.

Yeh there is a willy 2 from fulwood/ribbleton u may of seen, im from kirkham, fasterthanjesus passes the kirkham m55 from time to time then there is the guy with the 300bhp 1.8 valver turbo and there is a few others knockin around that ive seen and my mates have seen. Oh and there was a willy in blackpool that got eaten by a roundabout a few months back racing a Leon cupra R :cry:

1995clio16v
31-10-2007, 00:15
Ok, cheers for that.

From Penwortham matey.

You may of seen me in penwortham, was seein a bird up there a bit bk.

Oh and there was a willy in blackpool that got eaten by a roundabout a few months back racing a Leon cupra R :cry:

LMAO!

Called Bex?

Yeah, see a few willys around in Preston tbh. Its surprising!! Know of 4, what I can think of now!

cliokiz
31-10-2007, 01:01
Daz have you considered doing the soft pedal conversion to your gearbox if you're thinking of changing clutch?

Might put a little less strain on the clutch cable and of course will make it lighter - perfect excuse to use an uprated R5GTT clutch (which are awesome!)

Never had any issues with cables snapping in mine in 3 years of ownership, and my clutch used to be extremely heavy

BRUN
04-11-2007, 16:04
whats involved in the soft pedal conversion

Justin..
04-11-2007, 16:09
an extension bracket that fixes the the original cable hole in the casing and a longer release are. you also need to mod the pedal stop. not a job you can do with out takin the box off

Justin..
04-11-2007, 16:10
release arm **

****ing edit button :roll: