PDA

View Full Version : Possible alternative to welding steering column

kenny
23-10-2007, 17:24
It means removing the column which isn't technically difficult. Tools are one drill plus 5.5mm bit, one 6mm cotter pin. User cotter pin because it is hardened, sprung steel and can be driven in tight. I was going to fit and test it on my williams when the prat in the lorry side-swiped me. An opinion from the more tech minded would be good. The best solution would be to fit a new one, but for anyone not willing/able to pay the price this could be an alternative for those who can hold a drill but can't weld.

Lunner
23-10-2007, 18:58
Welded is the stronger option, any local black smith will weld it up for a tenner or so

kenny
23-10-2007, 20:05
Yep, but any idiot can drill a hole, even me. I also intend gunning no-nails into the gaps, it dries hard but has some give in it. I will fit it when I get the repaired willy back and see if it lasts :)

MattyH16valver
23-10-2007, 22:36
I had mine welded....make sure u cover ur carpet well though as the burns seems to fly everywhere...as i found out to my cost :lol:

Clio_GTT
23-10-2007, 22:52
Yep, but any idiot can drill a hole, even me. I also intend gunning no-nails into the gaps, it dries hard but has some give in it. I will fit it when I get the repaired willy back and see if it lasts :)

any idiot could remove the steering column from the car to be welded, MUCH stronger joint with no play, as it should be

kenny
24-10-2007, 13:24
If you use an oversize cotter pin there should be no play, also the pin wasn't fully inserted in the pic I took, so when it is there is only a few mills protruding either side so if you are unlucky enough for your face to contact the wheel at any point in your life the pin will likely collapes at that point, unlike a weld. And your right any one can remove a column but not everyone can weld. If an owner doesn't want to risk holes being burnt by welding in situ, and can set aside 2-3hours, this might be a viable, one man job alternative to welding what is essentially a safety component. My W2 has some play, so when I get it back from the bodyshop in a few weeks I will fit this column and see what it is like and if it lasts. After I update this post for anyone who is interested I will do what should be done with this fault and fit a new column, which I already have on a written off car I am waiting to get back from the insurers. Then I will stick the bodged column in a vice and smash it with a large hammer to see if it does collapse as I think it will.