PDA

View Full Version : Oil pressure mystery.

Andy P
20-10-2007, 19:16
Today the oil pissed out of the oil filter seal, the filter is a fram filter. So i replaced the oil and filter with a genuine Renault filter and stuck some 10-40 valvoline in as thats all the shop had.

When cold the oil pressure doesnt read on the guage and the light stays off.

Once the engine has warmed up the pressure reads pretty much as it should and the oil and water temp light comes on.

I bought the car off flat-eric last week, he was having similar sort of problems. It doesnt use any oil other than when its pissing it all over the road.

Anybody got any ideas?

Everybody ive asked think different things at the minute.

Thanks lads.

Rich
21-10-2007, 09:23
sender or connection.

number1
21-10-2007, 09:46
oil light will only come on when there is very little flow/pressure so be careful! is it leaking since you fitted the new filter andy? if so check your sandwich plate behind the filter, might be distorted or something, as for the lights coming on... well kinda confusing is that, make sure your clocks arent corroded on the circuit at the back, Also get underneath and put a new connector on the pressure sender at the back of the block,

Im feeling better today andy so gimme a ring if u need advice 8)

Dave

arj256
21-10-2007, 10:29
Once the engine has warmed up the pressure reads pretty much as it should and the oil and water temp light comes on.

I had this problem on my williams, when i started the engine the water temp warning light and oil warning light would stay on and not go off.
I did get a pressure reading though.

Changing the oil pressure sensor cured the dash light problem.

Andy P
21-10-2007, 11:02
Yeah i had the same problem with one of my old clio's with the lights, thats not what's worrying me at the minute. Just seems odd that when its from cold start its not registering any pressure at all. But once its warmed up then it reads fine.

Also the oil temp takes ages to rise too so i think it could possibly be a set of dogey clocks.

Yeah its holding oil today Dave, as long as its going in the top faster than its coming out the bottom thats all im worried about :lol:

Lunner
21-10-2007, 12:07
Swap both senders then

How long is a long time?

Don't forget it has the oil cooler, so will take longer than a valver without one, does coolant take a long time to warm up? If so could be a sticking 'stat

number1
21-10-2007, 18:11
disconnect the front sensor and see what happens then, i would assume the lights on the dash would stay on, then earth the sensor wire out with the engine running, if it goes out then it say a sticky switch

Dave

Andy P
21-10-2007, 19:32
The lights havent come on all day now, done about 50 miles. The oil pressure works once the engine has warmed up but ive just used it from cold and its working as normal.

I think that the guage could be sticking. As long as its holding the oil thats the main thing :lol: