PDA

View Full Version : Aux belt tensioning

Coops
19-10-2007, 23:19
basically its not happening, damn pulley wont shift forwards or backwards to allow me to adjust tension n the belts jumping on left turn lock.

the middle aln key loosends off fine, but no matter how hard i pull or push the spanner on the 'nut' it wont shift, twat it with a hammer to get it to shift n it just tries to pop out of its mount and iirc thats not a good thing if it looses purchase with the back captive nut/cog thingie?

any advice? could i simply space the top bracket on the alternator, so where its bolted to block i stick a couple of washers? that'll pull it out a bit further wud it not?

cheers

Coops

MatBrown
19-10-2007, 23:34
Sounds like the teeth on the bracket have been sheared off.

Mat.

Coops
19-10-2007, 23:38
wouldnt that cause it to go really loose tho? its not really really looses, just a little bit?

MAXIBOY
20-10-2007, 00:31
whip it off and have a look what going on.

Lunner
20-10-2007, 10:45
Fix tensioner in place, and take bolts out of alternator, push it in against the block and you have just about enough room to get the belt over, then lever alternator back out and slide bolt in, might take a bit of trial and error to get it right tho

Coops
20-10-2007, 17:44
Fix tensioner in place, and take bolts out of alternator, push it in against the block and you have just about enough room to get the belt over, then lever alternator back out and slide bolt in, might take a bit of trial and error to get it right tho

thats how i do the belt mate anyway, try never to touch the tensioner, so i changed the belt in that fashion no worries, but its loose still, so i'm attempting to get ti tensioned up, as neil says, i'll whip the bracket off for a nosey 8)

Lunner
20-10-2007, 18:14
The system for tensioning it with manual steering is 100 times easier than ****ing about with that shit pulley.

Worst design i've seen that, esp given the space you have there

Coops
20-10-2007, 18:32
amen, its wank aint it! am havin all the subframe etc off soon neway, if i can get hold of a cup rack i mite loose the lot anyway 8)

Lunner
20-10-2007, 18:38
What you want a cup rack for?

Go manual with a 1.2 rack, not too bad, and i've got a tiny steering wheel as well, and feedback from the road is spot on, feel everything

Coops
20-10-2007, 18:39
i heard the std non pas rack is like 4 million turns lock to lock or summit n is a bit unresponsive as a result?

Lunner
20-10-2007, 18:39
compared it, its about half a turn more from lock to lock, i certainly can't tell the difference