PDA

View Full Version : cam belt!! will renault be able to tell me if its been done?

FATBOY
16-10-2007, 19:51
been to look at a williams 3. and bloke said that cam belt has been done but we cant find any proof in the history that its been done. all the stamps are in the book but a few of the service receipts are missing... it has been serviced all its life at the renault dealership it came from. so is it possible to contact the dealership and ask them to look up on there computer to see if its been done??? or could anyone on here help me find out if possible????

big hp
16-10-2007, 19:57
Buying another one mate?

FATBOY
16-10-2007, 19:58
no mate. just helping a mate (beatjunkie) with buying one. went to view it tonight. cambelt was the main stumbling block

big hp
16-10-2007, 20:00
I'd get it done even if they say it has been done, just for piece of mind.

FATBOY
16-10-2007, 20:07
true mate. but its only on 74k so it may well have just been done. the bloke has only owned the car since march i believe. if we can find any proof its been done (via renault) which it should have at 72k, then it wonrt need doing. obviously if it hasnt been done then its a good haggling point with the price.

richy
16-10-2007, 20:15
you would have to ask the dealer it has been serviced at if has had the cambelt done and exactly when, even though its on 74k its well over the 5 year mark, should of had 2 by now!

as scott says, id get it changed anyway wether it had one or not!

BRUN
16-10-2007, 22:54
im still new to the system but the reg checker at work does give you a vehicle history, though i think its only for known faults which have been repaired, not servicing

ill have a look tomorrow

Swervin_Mervin
17-10-2007, 00:22
Even about 4 years ago they had a system at Renault Manchester that could check the entire service history of a car.

Daz.
17-10-2007, 07:06
I'd get it done even if they say it has been done, just for piece of mind.

Amen

I don't care what anyone tells me - you don't take the risk.

I had mine done as soon as I got it - the garage did confirm it had been done like it said but to actually check you might aswell have one on - its the same difference

Daz.
17-10-2007, 07:08
im still new to the system but the reg checker at work does give you a vehicle history, though i think its only for known faults which have been repaired, not servicing

ill have a look tomorrow

Me likes! do me a printout 8)

richy
17-10-2007, 18:46

ill have a look tomorrow

brun, if you look on ICM it will only show what works been done under warrenty(right from when the car was released), checking non-warrenty work depends what system you have, we currently use kerrige but are changing to another system in december for 2008, we can put any reg in but it will only show history if its been done with our dealership/group

cant say for the likes of lookers/arnold clarks/dixons etc never worked for anyone else!

(btw i know that dixons are no longer! we bought them lol)

BRUN
17-10-2007, 23:30
yup i was talking of ICM, and we have kerridge too

Daz.
18-10-2007, 06:33
Imagine the work done you never knew your car had had... would you have bought it! :lol:

Purple
18-10-2007, 09:41
A snapped cambelt damage can cost several times that of a typical cambelt replacement. So, unless there's reliable proof that it's been changed, it's safer to replace it on a car that's 74k miles.

seanofnp
18-10-2007, 09:47
I brought a cambelt to replace mine before putting engine in, but when i took the cover off etc to look at it, it was brand new, so i didnt bother changing it, plus the head had just been rebuild and you could see it had all been cleaned and done so was no need! But if i was buying a williams and couldnt see wether it had been done or not or no history etc id take it and have it done anyway!

richy
18-10-2007, 19:00
Imagine the work done you never knew your car had had... would you have bought it! :lol:

i did a full history check on my 182, everything that had been done under warrenty(not much) and service history, full vehicle detail of what it had fitted at factory aswell as which factory it was made at lol :lol: HPI etc done too

FATBOY
18-10-2007, 19:29
anyways you can find info on mine? number plate = 3 LOO

austen
18-10-2007, 20:11
i have just got my car back today, i just bought a Williams 3, servile history was a bit bleak, to i bought the car on Saturday, got it back today after having full service, inc. cam belt, tensioners, aux belt, oil and filter, fuel filter, plugs, leads, rear wheel bearing, and a general check over, all in all inc. the parts and labor my bill was £290. all in i thought that was a bargain! considering renault want silly money!!! any way, just get it done to be on the safe side :D