PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox playing up when warm?

BristolSam16v
14-10-2007, 16:59
Now I thought it was meant to be the other way round but my box is fine when cold but soon as its been driven a bit n warmed up say after 15-20 mins, it starts crunching bad and its hard to get it into first and second and sometimes sounds as if I've only half dipped the clutch into 2nd the grinding is tht bad :?

Could it be down to the oil being crap? Or any other suggestions bar the box being shot :(

Lunner
14-10-2007, 17:06
Either clutch or bent clutch fork??

Can't see if being release bearing as you can usually here this when it goes

BristolSam16v
14-10-2007, 17:15
Hmm clutch fork should be fine haven't fiddled round with it and the clutch has done a few thousand miles max :( if it was to do with the clutch would it happen all the time or only when warm?

Lunner
14-10-2007, 17:19
if tis really worn could be ****ing it when warm.

Try changing gearbox oil, and when you drain it pop the boot off the n/s driveshaft and see if there is metal in it, gives you an idea on the condition of the box

BristolSam16v
14-10-2007, 17:37
Just changed the oil was no metal in it or on the plug when I drained it, just used castrol box oil from halfords so dno if its good enough?

Ahmed Bayjoo
14-10-2007, 17:51
i get similar symptoms as you but no crunching of gears just difficult to select first when the car gets warmed up.

with the same symptoms it could be a few things, when you changed your clutch was the pressure plate done at the same time?

could be incorrect routing of your clutch cable
pedal ratchet
pivot bush

same symptoms but different things have worked for diferent ppl , so i suppose its just a process of elimination.

havent had mine done yet as my cars in the bodyshop , but i will also be rectifying this soon

BristolSam16v
14-10-2007, 19:46
Yeah was a whole clutch kit stan at apd did the clutch so its defo done right. Clutch cable routing is fine n hasn't changed so can't be that, anyway to check if the ratchet is gone on the pedal?

Pivot bush was perfect when I changed the box last so hopefully not that either.

Lunner
14-10-2007, 19:54
Odd one, i'd suggest giving stan a ring tomorrow

BristolSam16v
15-10-2007, 16:20
I'll have to check the fork movement 2moro, how far should it be moving? I pushed the clutch down really hard earlier and it went just the tiniest bit further down and I swear the gears changed easier?

Also the car seems to be creeping forward in neutral with the clutch up :?

dan-hipgrave
15-10-2007, 17:03
When i first got my old valver it did exactly the same. Only found out on the journey home :evil:

It was the gearbox that was completely knackered, took the end casing off and metal came pouring out. Good luck :lol:

summeh
15-10-2007, 17:44
Sam get this sorted asap else you'll be shelling out for a new/refurbed gearbox if it continues and you try slamming it into gear.

Same thing has happend to both my williams and Cup racer now, although I am thinking they are slightly different problems.

On the williams I fitted a brand new valeo gtt uprated heavy duty clutch from gsf (60quid iirc) and this gave the same symptoms you describe, even from new! So the clutch isn't disengaging properly, and its only problematic when HOT, so must be down to the clutch mechanism itself. Some people will suggest pedal etc but this shouldn't ever get hot, so wont make a diff. So for this I will need to fit a new clutch.

On the cup racer I just had to fork out for a refurbed gearbox, the selectors completely mashed due to selecting gears when the clutch wasn't disengaging properly. Basically it was even worse than on the williams, i couldn't select 1st 2nd reverse etc no matter how hard i pressed the pedal. I have tried new pedal/cable and even spacers to make the cable shorter (the pedal ratchet adjusts for this though). I think the problem is down to the clutch plate cracking, will know for sure once its off though.

kj16v
18-10-2007, 12:50
Valeo you say :?: :-k I have exactly the same R5/Volvo, etc clutch and I had the exact same problems. In the end I'd: alligned the engine on its mounts, spaced out the Renault clutch cable (which was too long), and hammered back the clutch peddle stop on the bulk head.
1st and 2nd are fine. but reverse still crunches into gear when warm.

I just get over it by holding the clutch down for a few seconds before fully pushing it into gear. The gearbox will break when it breaks