PDA

View Full Version : Timing belt tool

hank3944
14-10-2007, 14:46
Has anyone got the tool that you check the cambelt tension with? And does anyone want to lend it to me? of course for a small fee.... Unless they are only £5 from renault or something..... :lol:

Lunner
14-10-2007, 14:47
Just check it by twisting it through 90 deg between tensioner and aux pully

Lunner
14-10-2007, 14:51
Seeing as i'm not typing the same thing in 2 threads, i'll answer the question from the other one in here.

You don't need to hold the cam pullies still, when you put the new belt on just line the timing marks up with the ones on the pullies (cam and crank), or if refitting existing belt, just make your own timing marks on the pullies and belt with tip ex

hank3944
14-10-2007, 15:00
Thanks guys. The only reason I ask is because last time i remember the pulleys springing around all over the place. I.e. they sont stay lined up with the markings and if you rotate slightly to line up they spring forward...

Lunner
14-10-2007, 15:05
You need to remember they push the valves down, so if they happen to be right on the end of a lobe it can be a cunt to do, but just need hold it in position with one hand and pull belt over with other to hold it in place

katbloke
14-10-2007, 18:13
you can buy a camshaft locking tool that prevents the pulleys moving and as previously mentioned, tension is check at the longest run making sure the belt can be turned no more that 90 degrees