PDA

View Full Version : Company Car

Clio_GTT
13-10-2007, 20:08
With my new job i'll be getting a company car, i'll be covering about 20-25k in a year so diesel is a must

Anyone got any experience with good diesels ?

Been looking at mini cooper d's through to audi a3 2.0 TDi's

Cooper comes out on top for costs but the audi and higher class cars will be better for bigger mileages.

Anyone got any input ?

Daz.
13-10-2007, 20:13
Pug 407

My stepdad does MONSTER miles in it running off his own biodiesel plant in the garage - works out at 13p litre :shock:

It'll eat anything and purrs like a cat lol

Lots of gadgets too - I didn't like em till he got this one - Its that nice moonstone/moonshine blue?

As I said not really a fan before but they're awesome and nicer to drive than his passat TDI was

Clio_GTT
13-10-2007, 20:17
Pug 407

My stepdad does MONSTER miles in it running off his own biodiesel plant in the garage - works out at 13p litre :shock:

Lots of gadgets too - I didn't like em till he got this one - Its that nice moonstone/moonshine blue?

As I said not really a fan before but they're awesome and nicer to drive than his passat TDI was

how on earth do you make your own bio-diesel ?

Clio_GTT
13-10-2007, 20:17
Pug 407

how on earth do you make your own bio-diesel ?

fasterthanjesus
13-10-2007, 20:21
avoid ford focus diesel estate.

Daz.
13-10-2007, 20:24
Easier than you think - he spent weeks joining pipes and getting everything set - even got his own mini petrol pump, just reverses up to the garage door :lol:

Hard part is sourcing your old chip fat oil etc - he's got a fair few chippys that give it him for free - you can make it with fresh oil from tesco/asda but the price per litre goes up..

Jamie.
13-10-2007, 20:24
Why is mpg a must? Are you paying your own mileage I take it? Will your employer not pay all costs then you can just incur the £14,400 x relevant % on carbon emissions. I am sure that you will recover that in private mileage costs.

Also what is your budget, has your employer given you one? I would be looking at a Audi A3 Tdi myself. Or if you wanted to save on tax go for a cheaper car like an Mondeo or Fabia VRS.

Clio_GTT
13-10-2007, 20:35
Why is mpg a must? Are you paying your own mileage I take it? Will your employer not pay all costs then you can just incur the £14,400 x relevant % on carbon emissions. I am sure that you will recover that in private mileage costs.

Also what is your budget, has your employer given you one? I would be looking at a Audi A3 Tdi myself. Or if you wanted to save on tax go for a cheaper car like an Mondeo or Fabia VRS.

I live 30 miles from work but won't be earning mega money so keeping more pennies for me would be a bonus

cooper d can do over 80mpg extra urban as apposed to say 45 in the cooper s.

I'm being torn between looks/power and being sensible with good MPG etc, i'm only 22 and would love to get a 197 etc but it'd cost me an arm and a leg.

Clio_GTT
13-10-2007, 20:36
They'll pay me for work mileage but not for commuting

cliolord
13-10-2007, 20:56
Good diesel cars with my experience from test drives due to being a mechanic :lol:

The good eggs;
-BMW 320d
-Ford Focus TDCi
-VW Passat (130 or 150 both good)
-Seat Leon (torque monster)
-Clio 1.5 DCi (not too bad either)
-206 HDi

TBH all the above are worth a look really

Dancliovalver
13-10-2007, 20:57
golf tdi??

Daz.
13-10-2007, 21:34
would love to get a 197 etc but it'd cost me an arm and a leg.

Why? :shock:

They're bleh for me - get yourself an R26 8)

Clio_GTT
13-10-2007, 21:43
would love to get a 197 etc but it'd cost me an arm and a leg.

Why? :shock:

They're bleh for me - get yourself an R26 8)

what's an R26 ?

Lunner
14-10-2007, 00:48
Main aim is emissions mate,you get ****ed on tax for company cars, but the lower the emissions the lower the tax

Swervin_Mervin
14-10-2007, 01:18
cooper d can do over 80mpg extra urban

Bollocks.

seanofnp
14-10-2007, 05:36

I live 30 miles from work but won't be earning mega money so keeping more pennies for me would be a bonus

I'm being torn between looks/power and being sensible with good MPG etc, i'm only 22 and would love to get a 197 etc but it'd cost me an arm and a leg.

Where ever you read that a cooper d will do 80mpg was bollocks. Even if BMW state it, also the Cooper S will not do 45 mpg either, thats as much crap as the previous statement!

Jamie.
14-10-2007, 11:50

In that case I would be looking at something like as mentioned the Skoda Fabia VRS. Imo it looks ok, has a bit of poke and would return decent mpg.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/skoda/skoda-fabia-vrs-21-02-07.asp

Has someone run through how much this will actually cost you? In terms of tax? (Its list price X CO2 emission bracket for the car ) X Your highest tax rate.

If you do, sorry for explaining it but....

For the above example the new price is £13k & despatches 146g of co2 which will put it around the 20% bracket in terms of CO2 (find these on HMRC website). So per year assuming you are basic rate tax payer (22%) that will be circa £572 a year being £48 a month ((13k X 0.2) x 0.22).

Just the only shitter with co' car tax is it is always worked out on the original list price not the purchase price. So no good getting a good 2nd hand bargin. The reason I mention this is if you go for a 2nd hand audi the tax is going to be much higher as the list prices were originally large. The above example is only a new price of £13k imagine what it would be if you got a 2nd hand audi but with an intial list price of £26k.... £90 a month... ouch (assuming same CO2 bracket).

Government tax advisors ehh...

Clio_GTT
14-10-2007, 17:37

Where ever you read that a cooper d will do 80mpg was bollocks. Even if BMW state it, also the Cooper S will not do 45 mpg either, thats as much crap as the previous statement!

:shock: ok calm down, i'm purely going on the figures stated on their site

i've been looking at comcar.co.uk who automatically work out the tax you'll pay, the cooper d will be about £500 this tax year but goes down to 300 ish for the next two years. (i'm in the 22% bracket)

I'm quite a petrol head tho and would be gutted to sell up and get a boring 1.4 polo diesel, 2 cars would probably be just as expensive as running a 197 day to day. Maybe i should opt out and use the allowance to get a 2nd hand trophy.... soooo confused

number1
14-10-2007, 19:36
Golf Tdi all the way, cant go wrong and get one with the red DI then chip it

Dave

Swervin_Mervin
14-10-2007, 23:58
To be honest I wouldn't bother with a diesel. You really don't save enough for it to be worthwhile.

Many modern petrol equivalents achieve mpg not far off their diesel sisters.

Tullyvernon
16-10-2007, 00:56
:goodposting:
Had thought of changing the 306 for a Skoda Fabia vRS but thats a ong way off. :D
http://www.modifiedride.co.uk/main/pics/vrs1.jpg