PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!

MatrixGuy
13-10-2007, 16:21
The guy who usually takes care of my Williams (mechanically) is abroad taking part in rallies, but the problem is that i have some kind of oil leak(s).

It started a few weeks ago, i only thought it was small as i noticed small patches of oil on the drive. Well the engine oil level has dropped by over 3/4, although the oil was only drained and changed about 2 months ago!!

Am not good mechanically with cars so should i take it somewhere, i just dont want to get ripped off.

After looking under the car with a torch i noticed 2 oil patches on the metal work, one being the engine oil and the other being the power steering fluid (i think!).

Any help would be really appreciated.

Clio_GTT
13-10-2007, 17:00
Have a look where it's dropping from, did you renew the sump washer when you changed the oil last ?

MatrixGuy
13-10-2007, 17:47
Not sure if it was bud? what effect does that have?

Clio_GTT
13-10-2007, 18:30
Not sure if it was bud? what effect does that have?

It can leak oil from there mate

Lunner
13-10-2007, 18:39
Really need to know where its leaking from before we can help mate, god knows how many places i could be leaking from

cliopete
13-10-2007, 18:47
Best bet is to get the engine steam cleaned first then you can see any oil leaks easily. A mate of mine had a similar problem with his car, oil spewing out all over. he had the engine steam cleaned and it turned out to be nothing more than a blocked breather.
Pete

MatBrown
13-10-2007, 18:48
If you have only just had the oil changed i would suggest checking the oil filter is done up properly.

Mat.

Lunner
13-10-2007, 18:55
Best bet is to get the engine steam cleaned first then you can see any oil leaks easily. A mate of mine had a similar problem with his car, oil spewing out all over. he had the engine steam cleaned and it turned out to be nothing more than a blocked breather.
Pete

Can cause problems with steam getting into the electrics

MatrixGuy
13-10-2007, 23:20
As the oil level is fairly low can i top up wuth fully synthetic even tho it was filled with semi, or is that not advised?

I have some Gastrol Edge sport 0W-40.

Lunner
14-10-2007, 00:39
That'll be fine for topping up, but use 5W40 for normal usage