PDA

View Full Version : 306 GTI-6's

BigBoreBri
03-06-2005, 17:24
Just curious if anyone has had any experience or owned one of these in the past?

Wanna know what there like in comparasion to the williams with respects to power delivery / handling and general driving...

Cheers, Bri.

KingStromba
03-06-2005, 17:25
They dont have a plaque or gold wheels. Enough said really :wink:

VIPERONE
03-06-2005, 17:26
we have had a heated discussiona bout this on a 306 forum.....a 10 pager.lol cant find the link tho...

Rudders16v
03-06-2005, 17:27
I test drove one a few yeards ago, can't remember exactly what it was like but didn't impress me enough to trade in my 19 and hand over the cash

BigBoreBri
03-06-2005, 17:28
Not after a heated debate, this isnt CS ya know... lol

Just want some honest experience really! :wink:

northy
03-06-2005, 17:28
my dads got one...but never had a comparrison to compair...

they handle well....best get intouch with rich_m on cs...he runs a Mk1

BigBoreBri
03-06-2005, 17:30
my dads got one...but never had a comparrison to compair...

they handle well....best get intouch with rich_m on cs...he runs a Mk1

Stop messing northy... go take it 4 a blast n let me know what ya think! :twisted:

KingStromba
03-06-2005, 17:31
Good cars on all accounts.

Nice gearbox (six gears obviously), and good acceleration.
Great handling.

Bit like a watered down Williams with toys

Swervin_Mervin
03-06-2005, 17:46
I know someone elsewhere selling and he's not over impressed. He preferred his XSI.

I've driven the rallye and although it's a sweet engine I can't say the handling's any better than my valver.

The above guy's criticism is that they haven't made best use of the 6 gears. Basically they could've made 6th a touch longer. He sees the gearbox as offering no advantage over the Xsara's 5spd 'box, but that most people see "6 spd" and think it's great as a result.

Over-rated IMO to conclude. We're (g/f) is probably going to go down the Xsara VTS route tbh. More of a sleeper, cheaper, lighter, more refined, quicker.

Zollo
03-06-2005, 17:48
I've had one of these. Owned it for just over 2 years. :D :D :D

KingStromba
03-06-2005, 18:20
And???? :D

Zollo
03-06-2005, 18:59
And it was a very, very good car.

On the right moment, on a twisty British B road, the Williams gets the nod. It's lighter on its wheels, more nimble, happier to get flung around without biting back as much (it weighs over 250kg less remember!). But the 306 isn’t much less enjoyable, at all.

The Williams is a more un-compromised entertainer, a more focussed driving tool, but it doesn’t satisfy on as many levels as the GTi 6. The 306 is a car that lets you to have fun, but it also realises you don’t want to - or rather can’t - have fun all the time.

The suspension is surprisingly soft, but this is part of the reason why it's so resolved . A typical B road shows the ride to be compliant and supple, and it disregards roughs and ridges that would have other cars bucking and skipping from hedge to hedge! :shock:

But it’s not a softy. :twisted: There is a serious rawness to it. The engine produces a wicked hard-edged induction noise. The delivery is solid, linear and endless. The 6-speed box means rapid-fire gear changes in quick succession and the change has a slick and mechanical feel, for quick (if rather long) throws. The suspension movement and the superb steering lets you feel every little squirm, slip and push from the tyres. And there’s a lot of that. For a mild neutral-balance drift, you don’t even need to try; it does it for you. If you want though, you can adjust the attitude of the car with the prod or nudge of pedal or wheel. Adjust your style to a more ‘fast-in’ approach and the tail can be coaxed into the most lurid of over-steer slides. This car is soooo adjustable and easy to handle 8)

It’s when things calm down that the 306 is better than the Willy. It’s relaxed, laid back, refined. Light and feel-some controls, tractable engine characteristics; they all come together perfectly. It is satisfying drive all of the time.

If you want a piece of motoring jewellery, it’s not it. If you want the fastest mode of transport to get you from A to B, it’s not that either. But if you want a driving experience that defines the term driver enjoyment - on a continual basis, on any occasion – then the 306 is a great choice.

That's in my opinion and I understand fully that most will disagree. All those magazines, including Evo, can't be wrong though; this is one of the best hot hatches around.

So there!

VIPERONE
03-06-2005, 19:03
LOl ...Zollo, the next top gear presenter.. good review...

Zollo
03-06-2005, 19:03
Sorry, I whittled on a bit there :roll: :wink: