PDA

View Full Version : Vibration Through Steering Wheel

cliopete
10-10-2007, 11:55
Just started to happen only on left hand bends at moderately fast speeds.
I can feel a slight vibration at the steering wheel. Recently overhauled front brakes, new disks and pads and noticed a small hole in the drivers side outer drive shaft boot. Could it be a knackered uv joint due to loss of grease? Also can feel a slight knock when I select first gear at stand still.
Any ideas,
Pete

Lunner
10-10-2007, 12:07
Yeah will be a ****ed cv joint, see if there is any lateral movement in it

white16valver
10-10-2007, 13:36
Don't talk to me about CV joints and driveshafts - bloody car just cost me another small fortune to fix... :roll: LoL :lol:

Lunner
10-10-2007, 13:57
Learn to do the work yourself :lol:

cliopete
10-10-2007, 13:59
Don't talk to me about CV joints and driveshafts - bloody car just cost me another small fortune to fix... :roll: LoL :lol:

Thanks for that useful information! :roll:

Wobba
10-10-2007, 15:03
Stuff like this isn't that hard to do, assuming you have the tools and know how to jack a car!

cliopete
10-10-2007, 17:15
Stuff like this isn't that hard to do, assuming you have the tools and know how to jack a car!

I know exactly what to do, I just want some advice on what the problem might be, before I pull everything apart.

cliopete
10-10-2007, 17:17
Oh! and yes Lunner there is a small amount of lateral movement but no radial movement.

Lunner
10-10-2007, 17:23
Check the movement compared to the other joints, if there is more play then the joint is ****ed.

Also jack car up and spin wheels and see if there are any noises

cliopete
15-10-2007, 21:35
Vibration is still happening even in a straight line under hard acceleration
but worse when turning left. Car has just been MOTed and no problems were found with any suspension components or drive shafts. I have checked the drive shafts with the front wheels off the ground and no strange noises with car in gear and wheels spinning. Could it be the exhaust down pipe hitting the sub frame? Engine mounts? The gear box is virtually brand new, only done about 10,000 miles.
Ant ideas?
Pete

Allan
16-10-2007, 22:10
they dont usualy take the car out on an mot, mine was doing exactly the same thin, changed the drive shafts and its all lovely now.

bout £80 from euro carparts each

cliolord
16-10-2007, 23:25
but worse when turning left. Car has just been MOTed and no problems were found with any suspension components or drive shafts. I have checked the drive shafts with the front wheels off the ground and no strange noises with car in gear and wheels spinning. Could it be the exhaust down pipe hitting the sub frame? Engine mounts? The gear box is virtually brand new, only done about 10,000 miles.
Ant ideas?
Pete

Check the inner boot and joint on the o/s driveshaft....if this inner boot is split and has been split for awhile, that can cause the wobble effect under acceleration as I found on my old valver. Does it make the whole car vibrate like buggery?

cliopete
16-10-2007, 23:56
Ant ideas?
Pete

Check the inner boot and joint on the o/s driveshaft....if this inner boot is split and has been split for awhile, that can cause the wobble effect under acceleration as I found on my old valver. Does it make the whole car vibrate like buggery?
Yes , severe vibration especially under hard acceleration but drive shafts appear to be OK visually.

cliopete
16-10-2007, 23:57
Is the o/s drive shaft a Williams only part.

Allan
17-10-2007, 00:37
yeah mine looked fine too no splits or anything, even when i had them off all the bearings looked ok :S

but new ones solved the problem
+ the clicking when turning gave it away :D

J_A_R_B
07-11-2007, 12:08
I have a similar problem when turning left just had new gearbox and started happening on way home could it be CV joint or could it be something like wheel alignment as they weren't able do it. Really frustrating me so any help would be appreciated.

thanks

James

Laine_16v
07-11-2007, 18:58
Vibration in through wheel in straight line acceleration in 1st and 2nd but not so much 3rd and on left hand corerning?

Ive had the exact same trouble...The engine is sitting to far back and the downpipe is touching part of the steering rack, taking drivers side wheel off and you may be able to see it.

Loosen PAS engine mount and pull engine forward, re-tighten and try again...

Solved my problems.

cliopete
09-11-2007, 00:48
Vibration in through wheel in straight line acceleration in 1st and 2nd but not so much 3rd and on left hand cornering?

Ive had the exact same trouble...The engine is sitting to far back and the downpipe is touching part of the steering rack, taking drivers side wheel off and you may be able to see it.

Loosen PAS engine mount and pull engine forward, re-tighten and try again...

Solved my problems.

I assume you mean the passenger side mount under the battery .......I have checked this for tightness of all the bolts and to see if anything had moved and all seemed OK. Why should the problem suddenly start when nothing has moved. The only work done on the car recently is I have had the cat refitted for the MOT and the exhaust had to be realigned slightly as the cat was about 50mm shorter than the decat pipe.
I must admit though the vibration does seem to be from the down pipe hitting the subframe or the steering rack. Must have a closer look at this!!
J_A_R_B this could be your problem as you have just had a new box fitted and the engine mount may not have been aligned correctly.

BristolSam16v
09-11-2007, 02:06
No the top mount by the Power Steering reservoir, you can loosen that and move the engine forward slightly. You mentioned you had the exhaust re-aligned, that would tie in with the suggestions that it could now be catching on the rack?

cliopete
15-12-2007, 17:58
Problem now resolved. It was obviously the downpipe hitting the steering rack which resulted in the downpipe eventually fracturing just below the manifold joint. New downpipe now fitted and problem with strange vibrations has now completely gone. :D