PDA

View Full Version : losing gearbox oil

NAPLES VALVER 123
07-10-2007, 21:31
When im in the car i can sometine smell oil, it doesnt smell like engine oil think its gearbox :? ,

Its also losing gearbox oil but dont no where from. It seems to be leaking onto the drip tray then when thats full starts dripping over. :cry:

where could it be coming from?its not alot of oil, but would like to solve it :?

and is there anything i can put in to try and seal it etc? :?: :idea:

thanks

Lunner
07-10-2007, 22:01
Take drip tray off and wipe all the underside down and see if you can tell where its coming from, could be drain plug if they haven't used a new washer, or gear selector is another common place

NAPLES VALVER 123
07-10-2007, 22:23
thanks for the help,

i dont think its the drain plug as i changed the g.oil a few months back and repalced washer etc. (the g.box was losing oil before i did this too)

Is there anyway to solve the problem if its the gear seletcor?

Also is there anything you can add to the g.box oil to seal it?

Lunner
08-10-2007, 09:16
Haven't gone that in depth on gearboxes yet to know if you can solve this without stripping it down

schakal
08-10-2007, 09:50
may be u can use one of them stop leak stuff
made for g/b s ?

NAPLES VALVER 123
05-11-2007, 17:21
right ive been keepeing a eye on the leak and i think its coming from the driveshaft (where the gaiter meets the gearbox)

Now ive had a look at the guide on here, it mentions to be careful when removing the bolts from driveshaft, ive had aproblem with this before on another car.

When i went to do the bolts up they just wouldnt tighten up.

I dont want to take the driveshaft off then when i come to do it back up it wont :( :?

How can i make sure this doesnt happen and if it does what can i do make the bolts tigten?

any help?

BristolSam16v
05-11-2007, 19:36
I used silicone sealent when I put the shaft back on the box as I think 1 or 2 of the bolts on mine have been cross threaded. 1 of them wouldn't tighten at all so ended up using a slightly longer bolt which seemed to do the trick.

northy
05-11-2007, 19:58
helicoil the gearbox and it will be better than new

it sounds the oil is leaking from behind the driveshaft boot to gaitor. have u seen my guide ?

NAPLES VALVER 123
13-11-2007, 15:34
northy

helicoil the gearbox and it will be better than new

it sounds the oil is leaking from behind the driveshaft boot to gaitor. have u seen my guide ?

ive had a look at the guide mate and was a big help :)

My plan is to buy a second hand driveshaft and put new gaiter on to it then change the whole unit over when get time.

The bit im worried about is what you mentioned on the guide, About being careful with the bolts.

The reason im worried is ive changed one before and 2 of the bolts just wouldnt tigten up

how can i prevent this from happening

thanks 8)

Lunner
13-11-2007, 16:02
Lost count of the number i've chanmged and never used sealant and never had any problems with the bolts.....maybe is just people not threading them in straight when they start them off cus of how far in it is

VIPERONE
13-11-2007, 17:44
i had a box fail via one of the internal seals...

under load oil would spray out of the box and on to my exhaust sytem causing blue smoke to ooze from the car....

cliolord
13-11-2007, 20:33
Sometimes the gearbox's leak oil from the gear selector seal just to let you know. Although to fix this problem, the inners of the gearbox have to be removed to fit new seal

northy
14-11-2007, 09:02
The bit im worried about is what you mentioned on the guide, About being careful with the bolts.

The reason im worried is ive changed one before and 2 of the bolts just wouldnt tigten up

how can i prevent this from happening

thanks 8)

The bolt holes that dont tighten up need helicoiling.

Its basically a small spring insert that fix it the gearbox bolt hole - when u fit the bolt it opens the spring up and provides a thread. The spring is then locked into position and u have a great thread that is better than original

Matty86
14-11-2007, 14:17
I used a longer bolt

I just studded mine using nuts and bolts from B&Q now tightens up perfectly