PDA

View Full Version : Car Smells of Burning Oil

Jamie.
07-10-2007, 16:01
A couple of weeks ago my car began to smell of burning oil.

The problem occurs when pushing the car hard (not from driving normal, even if oil is up during long m-way stints at >90) I had a quick look as at the time i was away from home, after which I found the oil filter to be slightly loose. I thought this might be the issue and forgot about it.

However the problem persisted.... The oil pressure is still 'good'. 4Bar on cold tickover and 6 during cold driving etc and the oil level remains at 'full' on the dipstick since last filling it sometime ago.

Anyway today I decided to have a quick look at the plugs... I whipped them out and found some oil on the tray where the HT leads go. Now I always seem to have this and thought fine and got on with the job in hand. Now, the first spark plug I pulled out was on the far right of the car as if sitting behind the wheel. This plug had a small amount of oil on it... nothing 'too concerning'. The middle two were 'dry', however the extreme left plug had a great deal of oil on it. Now im not sure if this is attributable to a shaky hand when filling the oil or something more sinister.

Any advice?

MatBrown
07-10-2007, 16:17
The oil on the plugs is probably just the rocker cover gasket, nothing serious.

Mat.

Wobba
07-10-2007, 16:41
There are lots of smells to be smelt when it concerns a car. Are you sure it is oil burning smell and not, say, gearbox fluid dripping on a hot exhaust or something, or clutch poo smells?

Jamie.
07-10-2007, 16:46
No I cannot be sure of those. All I can say is the above. I do no-longer have a gearbox drip tray as it snapped off but it has been snapped some time though. So if it were attributable to that it would have been smelling for over a year.

Clutch and gearbox feel 'fine'. So does the whole car really. No noticable reduction in power during the occasional time i now push it. The car doesnt pull back or anything. Apart from the smell you would not know ANYTHING was wrong.

Mr.AdamB
07-10-2007, 16:54
dotn worry about it man my car stinks everytime i abuse it and thats a daily basis its got nothi wrogn with it other than maybe stem sills a littlwe worn ut no major smoke!! only a puff nown then on overrun lol all part of owning a mk1 f7 engine!

Wobba
07-10-2007, 17:00
I think the cheapest fix would be a new car freshener then.